2016 Season QB Thread

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Nothing to go on but gut instinct, so I don't have enough info to even debate it, but I say look out for Jalen Hurt. I like how he can run and throw.
I think Coach S., and his ambition, wants to develop an offense with a great offensive line, a great running back, a great QB who can run or throw, and a bunch of wide receivers who can flat out go.
Run the spread, light up the field, and play great defense.
Hurt truly fits that mold. I'll qualify, "In my opnion"..
I like getting the top rated quarterback out of Texas. They're normally pretty good.
He's at spring practice so we shall witness the progress first hand.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I believe Phillip Sims is on the Seahawks roster?
I don't think he's on their active roster. Maybe practice squad. I know he played in some preseasons games for the Cardinals last year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Nothing to go on but gut instinct, so I don't have enough info to even debate it, but I say look out for Jalen Hurt. I like how he can run and throw.
I think Coach S., and his ambition, wants to develop an offense with a great offensive line, a great running back, a great QB who can run or throw, and a bunch of wide receivers who can flat out go.
Run the spread, light up the field, and play great defense.
Hurt truly fits that mold. I'll qualify, "In my opnion"..
I like getting the top rated quarterback out of Texas. They're normally pretty good.
He's at spring practice so we shall witness the progress first hand.
sip
I agree with everything you posted. However, I don't think Hurts will see the field this year unless we get a major injury bug at QB. Just to big of a stage for a true freshman..

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'd really like to see the qb that wins the job do so by clearly being physically, mentally and emotionally superior to all the others.

In other words, I hope one of them wins it because they are clearly better and not just because the others are too mistake prone.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I agree with you about everything you posted. However, I don't think Hurts will see the field this year unless we get a major injury bug at QB. Just to big of a stage for a true freshman..
I'm with you, CF.

If there's ever a freshman who can lead, read defenses, take care of the ball, put the team in the right play, command (notice I didn't say demand) respect in the huddle, not make mental errors, make plays when they're there, do all the right things on the field, in the classroom, and in the weightroom, and carry himself with the right combination of swagger (a lot) and humility (just enough to keep from being JFF II), and do all that better than a guy 3+ years into the program, he'll play.

Show me an 18-19 year old who can do all that better than a 21-22 year old who started out good enough to be recruited by the best recruiter in the country, AND has 3 or more years in The Process, and I'll show you a 2x AA, and maybe a 2x Heisman winner.

The odds aren't exactly zero, but then neither are the chances of Kate Upton asking for my phone number.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Can't argue with those facts. However, at some point the roster will dictate a change with a younger, more talented, and mature underclassman. Question that remains to be answered (probably in the fall) is could this be the year? We'll see.
Trends are good predictors but they are not laws. If we ever happen to have a young QB who comes in ready to contribute at a high level (you know, clear day one NFL draft pick QB) then I imagine all the trends in the world wouldn't keep him off the field.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Based on what has been said here and other sites, JH is not as polished a passer as advertised. If true, that all but assures his red shirt.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I believe Phillip Sims is on the Seahawks roster?
The measure of a successful transfer is not what the QB does well after the fact, it is what he does at his next stop. In the case of Phillip Sims he did not do well at Virginia and was not drafted. The talent was there and he likely would have started for Alabama his senior year and been drafted. The idea isn't that every transfer was a complete failure, just that they have not had success at their next stop with one exception. In other words, they gained nothing by leaving and might have lost out.

Anyway as to the broader conversation, yes experience has typically won out. But we are talking about some close battles in which case it wasn't always clear what the outcome would be. When in doubt you go with experience. Barnett needs to develop more, no question, but he has spring and fall to show improvement. Coker improved, Sims improved, it's not just the veteran who can improve though. This situation is made all the more interesting because in this case Barnett clearly has a bigger upside than Bateman. That doesn't mean Bateman can't earn the job and do well, but it means those that want to write Barnett off after a single bad scrimmage might not be taking all the factors into account.

There's another QB battle people here might have forgotten about. A more experienced quarterback went up against a redshirt freshman. He almost got the starting job to, before losing it and transferring to Alabama. Jameis Winston went on to have a heck of a year after narrowly winning the job. If you are talking about the young, talented guy in the equation one wouldn't expect him to easily win the job. He shouldn't, but if he somehow does win the job, that's when things get exciting because it would say a lot about him.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I'd really like to see the qb that wins the job do so by clearly being physically, mentally and emotionally superior to all the others.

In other words, I hope one of them wins it because they are clearly better and not just because the others are too mistake prone.
I have always viewed QB competitions as separating the great practice QB, VS, finding the Gamer QB. To some extent Coker fell in the Gamer category. Bateman's chance to shine against OM, was a bust because he failed to move us down field. OM was too fast getting to the sidelines for the plays we ran. Yep, he completed passes, nope, the play didn't produce yards because OM was there when the ball arrived. Batemans fault, or Lane's fault for calling the play? ALSO... Bateman's running ability wasn't utilized.
* Here are my questions: Is Bateman enough better than Cornwall, or Barnet? (Experience)
Who will protect the ball better. Last scrimmage Barnett appears to have been the Gunslinger who took chances... 3 interceptions... Was he trying to force it?
Cornwall is supposed to have a cannon for an arm... Do his passes have the touch? Accuracy?
Who protected the ball the best?

NEXT: Did any or our QB move the ball better in difficult situations? Some of the opinions say that Cornwall had a good day passing... Same guys say Barnett had a bad day.

Finally: Who does the OL want as QB? Who does the Seniors want as QB?
Are our coaches on the same page on what we want a QB to do next year? Are we looking at a Coker type guy, or a Blake Sims type guy?

IT'S A CINCH TEAMS WE PLAY WILL TRY TO FORCE OUR NEW QB TO WIN THE GAME.
DO WE HAVE SOMEONE WHO CAN TAKE THE GAME IN HAND AND WIN? (HOPE SO)

tidegrandpa

All-American

I have always viewed QB competitions as separating the great practice QB, VS, finding the Gamer QB. To some extent Coker fell in the Gamer category. Bateman's chance to shine against OM, was a bust because he failed to move us down field. OM was too fast getting to the sidelines for the plays we ran. Yep, he completed passes, nope, the play didn't produce yards because OM was there when the ball arrived. Batemans fault, or Lane's fault for calling the play? ALSO... Bateman's running ability wasn't utilized.
* Here are my questions: Is Bateman enough better than Cornwall, or Barnet? (Experience)
Who will protect the ball better. Last scrimmage Barnett appears to have been the Gunslinger who took chances... 3 interceptions... Was he trying to force it?
Cornwall is supposed to have a cannon for an arm... Do his passes have the touch? Accuracy?

NEXT: Did any or our QB move the ball better in difficult situations? Some of the opinions say that Cornwall had a good day passing... Same guys say Barnett had a bad day.

Are our coaches on the same page on what we want a QB to do next year? Are we looking at a Coker type guy, or a Blake Sims type guy?

Jake had 8 all year, that's and toughness is what counts. IMHO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Bateman's fault. There was a thread where every snap by Bateman was analyzed. Bateman had several opportunities for big plays if he would have kept the ball on the zone read. The speed of the Ole Miss defense wasn't the problem when Bateman was in the game. The game plan was to utilize Bateman's athleticism to counter the aggressiveness of the Ole Miss front and defense in general. The play calls worked perfectly except Bateman never kept on the zone read. I have no idea why, it may have just been timidness or first game jitters. Hopefully Bateman has overcome whatever it was that kept him from executing the play properly..

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Bateman's fault. There was a thread where every snap by Bateman was analyzed. Bateman had several opportunities for big plays if he would have kept the ball on the zone read. The speed of the Ole Miss defense wasn't the problem when Bateman was in the game. The game plan was to utilize Bateman's athleticism to counter the aggressiveness of the Ole Miss front and defense in general. The play calls worked perfectly except Bateman never kept on the zone read. I have no idea why, it may have just been timidness or first game jitters. Hopefully Bateman has overcome whatever it was that kept him from executing the play properly..
I was under the impression (not sure where this came from) that the coaches called those plays and took away the option to run. They looked like option plays but he (Bateman) was instructed to hand the ball off. Perhaps they were setting up for unleashing the run later in the game, but that never materialized. Anyway, that was my impression and may well be incorrect.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I was under the impression (not sure where this came from) that the coaches called those plays and took away the option to run. They looked like option plays but he (Bateman) was instructed to hand the ball off. Perhaps they were setting up for unleashing the run later in the game, but that never materialized. Anyway, that was my impression and may well be incorrect.
Why would the coaches take away the only advantage of having Bateman in the game? CNS said at one point that they started Bateman because of his athleticism. Additionally, if the coaches were to take away the run option there would be no point in calling a zone read play because the defensive end will crash every time and hit the running back in the backfield. I think Bateman lacked the aggressiveness and assertiveness to keep the ball instead of handing it off to Henry..

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Why would the coaches take away the only advantage of having Bateman in the game? CNS said at one point that they started Bateman because of his athleticism. Additionally, if the coaches were to take away the run option there would be no point in calling a zone read play because the defensive end will crash every time and hit the running back in the backfield. I think Bateman lacked the aggressiveness and assertiveness to keep the ball instead of handing it off to Henry..
It was just something I thought I remember hearing. Most likely it was speculation by someone at the time that I'm remembering. I agree that it wouldn't make sense to take away the thing that is his biggest asset, and this is what puzzled me when I (thought I) heard that... why would the coaches have done this? It didn't make sense to me.

In the end the more likely scenario, as you stated, is that Bateman was simply timid. That makes more sense.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

This is not true.

CNS, in the post game press conference, mentions that the early plans involved the QB pulling the ball and catching them off guard.

Cooper obviously never did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Impressive if true..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is not true.

CNS, in the post game press conference, mentions that the early plans involved the QB pulling the ball and catching them off guard.

Cooper obviously never did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ironically, it's Bateman's failure to execute the read/option play in that game that put him on the bench and put Coker into the game. Despite us losing it, Coker's kick in the pants/motivation from not starting that game really led to his improvement and maturity and the #16 NC.

FWIW, I realize there were reports that Coker was sick the week before OM, but the truth is he also was not setting the woods on fire early last year and that's how Bateman got his chance.

Gotta admit two things:

1. Bateman's failure to execute in that game is one reason I'm hesitant to believe he becomes the man this year. His strength is not his arms but his legs and athleticism and he failed to use them when he had the opportunity.

2. I'm doubtful if Coker doesn't come in a lead a comeback that fell short and then later improved that if Bateman would have remained our '16 qb we wouldn't have won the #16 NC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Bateman got deer-in-headlights. Ole Miss was a fast, experienced defense and I think Bateman just wasn't "seeing" the defense well enough to make a read. Putting Bateman out there was one of the rare times I've ever questioned what our staff was thinking. We've seen some bad play calls, some bad decisions, etc...but this one was just a head scratcher.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bateman got deer-in-headlights. Ole Miss was a fast, experienced defense and I think Bateman just wasn't "seeing" the defense well enough to make a read. Putting Bateman out there was one of the rare times I've ever questioned what our staff was thinking. We've seen some bad play calls, some bad decisions, etc...but this one was just a head scratcher.
Because of the opponent, I have to believe Coker was legitimately sick prior to the game. That was possibly the worst combination of circumstances to throw out a first time starter -

Ole Miss defense being pretty stout and fast
Night game at BDS
Night game at BDS with fans amped up looking for revenge
Ole Miss amped up looking to be first team to beat Alabama in consecutive games since 2011

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.