2016 Season QB Thread

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread so I don't know if it was discussed but my concern about having two good young QB's is that when Coach Saban decides who the starter will be the other kid may decide to transfer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, people are more sensitive with a quarterback situation, especially a scrambling pro style vs a dual threat. I think the entire game was mop up duty, we blew them off the line. And BB made the most of his time. Remeber Simms mop up? We didn't even know hos good he was until the next season, he just handed the ball off. Next week!
You are the only person that continues to bring up the dual threat aspect of it. The only sensitive posts about it have been yours stating your fear of a DT guy and some unsubstantiated belief they put the team on their back each week and end up doing too much.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
You are the only person that continues to bring up the dual threat aspect of it. The only sensitive posts about it have been yours stating your fear of a DT guy and some unsubstantiated belief they put the team on their back each week and end up doing too much.
Yes I do, but that could change. Let me leave it at that. Let others post :)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
BB came out because of what the defense was showing and us blowing them off the line more than nerves, what Freshman quarterback didn't on his first 2 or 3 drives. Coach Saban suggested that the approach to how they play will evolve. Cam Newton = Jalen Hurts Legs and BB's arm imo..
I don't guess you saw Coach Saban's presser saying Jalen was coming in on the 3rd series no matter the situation.

Again, not sure how to reply to the "with your logic Bateman should have started the game" since I have no idea where that came from and has nothing to do with my previous comment.

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread so I don't know if it was discussed but my concern about having two good young QB's is that when Coach Saban decides who the starter will be the other kid may decide to transfer.
That was my worry too but apparently BB's father has said he's staying until he graduates. Plus Hurts doesn't strike me as the type that would run away from a challenge.

Talk is cheap and only time will tell I suppose..

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
That was my worry too but apparently BB's father has said he's staying until he graduates. Plus Hurts doesn't strike me as the type that would run away from a challenge.

Talk is cheap and only time will tell I suppose..
He could graduate and have 2 years left to play.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Check this RBR link. During the third quarter, he didn't keep the ball on a zone-read. So let's not act like he didn't get a chance.

www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/9/7/12820328/alabama-football-film-review-blake-barnett-vs-usc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this link. However, having watched the play in question, I do not agree with the writer's assessment at all. RBR claims Barnett should have kept the ball and run to the right. This is wrong, for two reasons. First, it's 3rd and 2. Situation is you have a 230 lbs running back with momentum and he's going to get that 2 yards most of the time. Second, USC #35, mlb, is still unblocked at the point when Barnett has to hand off the ball. If Barnett keeps it and 35 read that correctly and comes around, it's a foot race to the first down marker. Barnett might have beat him, but he might not have. It's far from obvious. The problem with the RBR assessment is it assumes 35 would have broken on a fake, which is not a known. So, yes, Barnett had a chance to keep a read option run, but he made the right decision to hand off. In fact, I doubt very seriously it was actually an option. I believe it was a handoff all the way that simply had the QB decoy off to the right just in case the MLB was screened somehow.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Thanks for this link. However, having watched the play in question, I do not agree with the writer's assessment at all. RBR claims Barnett should have kept the ball and run to the right. This is wrong, for two reasons. First, it's 3rd and 2. Situation is you have a 230 lbs running back with momentum and he's going to get that 2 yards most of the time. Second, USC #35, mlb, is still unblocked at the point when Barnett has to hand off the ball. If Barnett keeps it and 35 read that correctly and comes around, it's a foot race to the first down marker. Barnett might have beat him, but he might not have. It's far from obvious. The problem with the RBR assessment is it assumes 35 would have broken on a fake, which is not a known. So, yes, Barnett had a chance to keep a read option run, but he made the right decision to hand off. In fact, I doubt very seriously it was actually an option. I believe it was a handoff all the way that simply had the QB decoy off to the right just in case the MLB was screened somehow.
I think if coach had left Barnett in he likely would have had an excellent game as well based on his performance we saw. That might have completely undermined Hurts opportunity to compete going forward. I believe coach now that he had every intention of playing hurts on 3rd possession regardless rather than it just Barnett looking nervous.

Both of these guys can play and should play. I think we will see a dual rotation quite a bit this season.

Everyone keeps mentioning hurts coolness and that Barnett was nervous. Well Barnett had not had any game action in 2 years whereas hurts played last fall for his high school. I think it's quite okay to spot Barnett some nervousness after a 2yr layoff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
O.K.,so you tell me and everyone else here, how Blake can be better than A.J. and Coker?
What's he shown you that would make you think that he can be "better" than three national championship quarterbacks.
This is getting ridiculous.
Meaning no disrespect, I think it started to get ridiculous when you wrote several categories and claimed Hurts was he best in all of them as compared to Barnett. That's you using one game to assess qualities, and maybe not very accurately. I don't see anyone saying that Barnett has had a better career than AJ or anyone else. But then you probably wouldn't say that of Hurts either i assume. And yet for Hurts you have all these accolades. The fact is that Barnett's big pass in the later part of the game was a thing of beauty. My eyes popped when he read the coverage, looked off the safety, found a second option and fired a laser to OJH down the middle. You know what we've never had in the saban era is a guy who is willing to fire dimes over the middle. The same "amazing" stuff that kept getting us beat by teams like OSU and Cardell Jones in 2014, because we assume for the most part college QBs can't do that consistently. It's a high risk high reward throw that requires lots of talent. We only saw it once from Barnett so I'm not ready to anoint him yet either, but that kind of throw has not been a regular part of our offense.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If you read through this thread the one's pointing out Barnett's talents are much more complimentary of Jalen than the ones all on the Jalen bandwagon.

USC many end up the easiest of the next 4 games as far as the trenches, and are not sold on for instance that the team plays harder for one over the other, or that execution of any Freshman should be negated because of what part of the game their execution was displayed(ESPN).
We should all let this play out. 2 great QB potential, give both credit. Coach Saban seems to be leaning that way. No need to laugh at anyone over their opinion after game one.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I agree, I think they will go with the hot quarterback throughout the game, and run a rotation around that, given the situation.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It could be the case that it wasn't really an option at all, and that was just a gale, but if it was a read option, BB did make the wrong read. It's a single read play. If the DE or OLB crashes the RB down the line, which he did on that play, the QB should keep the ball. The ILB isn't in the read for this play at all.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It could be the case that it wasn't really an option at all, and that was just a gale, but if it was a read option, BB did make the wrong read. It's a single read play. If the DE or OLB crashes the RB down the line, which he did on that play, the QB should keep the ball. The ILB isn't in the read for this play at all.

We are talking freshman in their first game. Aj was hand off left hand off right until he got a little confidence.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.