2016 Season QB Thread

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

Yea....but what does it say about Cornwell that he couldn't beat out Bateman to give himself that chance last year. Or do you want the guy who threw 3 INTs along with 2 pick 6s in the last scrimmage. I'm not saying Bateman is great but he might be our best choice..

PS: Why do people who were on one side or the other of the Coker/Sims debate always bring up they were on the correct side like it makes someone a QB scouting expert?
I'm not an expert, but I did have the benefit of seeing Blake Sims throw as a true freshman so I never doubted his ability to throw the long ball. This was a major point of contention because a lot of people for years, not just a brief period, for years asserted his inability to do that. Not you specifically but it was said, over and over. But since you bring up the 50/50 thing, in your defense you showed up here late in 2012. The real Blake Sims debate started leading into 2012. In 2012 some people insisted that even though Blake was the backup, Ely was in fact the "true" backup and if AJ got hurt Ely would in fact become the true starter. Then, after Ely transferred they repeated the same sentiment about Morris. So, by the time Coker came along it hadn't been a Blake Sims vs Coker debate, it was Blake Sims vs. the field, and even then some people were betting on Cornwell, Bateman, or Morris. So 50/50? Heh try discussing it starting before the 2012 season... we're talking about what amounted to three years of disparaging Blake Sims that continued into his year as a starter. I never had an issue with the people that thought Coker would be a better starter, I had an issue with people that claimed Blake Sims would be a bust as a starter.

It does illustrate the situation though. I also, right around this time last year, spent a fair bit of time trying to say Coker shouldn't be ruled out and that Cornwell and Barnett were not ready. There were multiple posts saying take the redshirt off Barnett, etc... so all I've ever tried to do was introduce some reason and my viewpoints on the matter into conversations. It shouldn't ever be about picking a guy and being right, but it should be amount making realistic and accurate observations based on what we know. There were a lot of posts, for years, that questioned Blake's abilities in almost every way possible. That's actually one reason I'm trying to be careful when I express caution about Bateman, but we should be realistic as well.

And we probably shouldn't get into the Cornwell situation but he apparently did something off-field that put him in the doghouse. So, he has apparently shown a lack of maturity but that doesn't mean he isn't ready to put that behind him. You might as well say do I want the guy who struggled in scrimmages or the guy who struggled in scrimmages if you are just going to use one as a basis. By the way, you know the only QB last year who didn't have an A-Day interception was Alec Morris right?

A lot of the discussions that seemed to really go astray, were people seemed really off-base was when they formed an opinion largely based on one observation, one article (I know one article in particular gave us a lengthy thread full of posts about how Barnett should be the starter last year), one scrimmage or even one practice. Based on what was written on a given week, Morris, Bateman, Barnett, Coker, and Cornwell were all destined to be starters. So, I get that it's fluid and I'd much rather look at more data and more information and not let the latest scrimmage, or practice note control how I view the situation.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

What has Cornwell or Barnett done to make anyone think they'll win the job? I understand they both have incredible potential but outside of that and the scrimmage performance there isn't much to go on. I'm fine with any of the 3 QBs winning the job. We've proved time and time again that we don't rely on great QB play to win championships. I just think right now the order is Bateman > Cornwell > Barnett. Bateman should be able to hold onto the lead unless he has a terrible performance in one of the scrimmages..
Well what has been said or shown that any of them are better than the other. I'm not getting into picking sides, because last year there were people saying that they've heard Coker had 0% of CNS's trust going into the summer, and people were trying to use pressers to give their point of view credibility when CNS says general to misleading statements in his pressers all of the time.

Point is we don't know until the USC game of who is where and by how much.

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

Bateman has the most experience in live action. OK he was not that sharp starting at Ole Miss. My biggest issue there is he was touted as a runner and had openings but did not take them.
I say he learned from his mistakes and unless he fouls up might hold the upper hand for now. Cornwell was touted strong last Spring but floundered in the Fall. I hope he learned from it because
he has the size, look and strength to be special. Barnett has been sold as the saviour but that is an awful burden to put on a freshman. Barnett has the tools just needs some live reps. Here is hoping
Saban learns from last two years and plays two or more QB's so we are not having this issue every year

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I'm not an expert, but I did have the benefit of seeing Blake Sims throw as a true freshman so I never doubted his ability to throw the long ball. This was a major point of contention because a lot of people for years, not just a brief period, for years asserted his inability to do that. Not you specifically but it was said, over and over. But since you bring up the 50/50 thing, in your defense you showed up here late in 2012. The real Blake Sims debate started leading into 2012. In 2012 some people insisted that even though Blake was the backup, Ely was in fact the "true" backup and if AJ got hurt Ely would in fact become the true starter. Then, after Ely transferred they repeated the same sentiment about Morris. So, by the time Coker came along it hadn't been a Blake Sims vs Coker debate, it was Blake Sims vs. the field, and even then some people were betting on Cornwell, Bateman, or Morris. So 50/50? Heh try discussing it starting before the 2012 season... we're talking about what amounted to three years of disparaging Blake Sims that continued into his year as a starter. I never had an issue with the people that thought Coker would be a better starter, I had an issue with people that claimed Blake Sims would be a bust as a starter.

It does illustrate the situation though. I also, right around this time last year, spent a fair bit of time trying to say Coker shouldn't be ruled out and that Cornwell and Barnett were not ready. There were multiple posts saying take the redshirt off Barnett, etc... so all I've ever tried to do was introduce some reason and my viewpoints on the matter into conversations. It shouldn't ever be about picking a guy and being right, but it should be amount making realistic and accurate observations based on what we know. There were a lot of posts, for years, that questioned Blake's abilities in almost every way possible. That's actually one reason I'm trying to be careful when I express caution about Bateman, but we should be realistic as well.

And we probably shouldn't get into the Cornwell situation but he apparently did something off-field that put him in the doghouse. So, he has apparently shown a lack of maturity but that doesn't mean he isn't ready to put that behind him. You might as well say do I want the guy who struggled in scrimmages or the guy who struggled in scrimmages if you are just going to use one as a basis. By the way, you know the only QB last year who didn't have an A-Day interception was Alec Morris right?

A lot of the discussions that seemed to really go astray, were people seemed really off-base was when they formed an opinion largely based on one observation, one article (I know one article in particular gave us a lengthy thread full of posts about how Barnett should be the starter last year), one scrimmage or even one practice. Based on what was written on a given week, Morris, Bateman, Barnett, Coker, and Cornwell were all destined to be starters. So, I get that it's fluid but I'd much rather look at more data and more information and not let the latest scrimmage, or practice note control how I view the situation.
I'm not ruling out any QB from possibly starting (except Hurts) and I'm not really trying to project who will start. It's been said ad nauseam but we don't have enough to go on yet. I'm just saying that at this point Bateman is in the lead, by default or however you want to classify it.

We don't always agree but I enjoy your posts because I can tell you're passionate about Alabama football and you always have facts to back up your post. I can respect that even if I don't always agree..

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Appears to be lots of analysis of one scrimmage. I think one thing we should keep in mind is how very little an indicator spring has been as to who the QB is going to be or how well he will actually play. Hollingsworth was terrible, as was Sims and Coker and a few others along the way. I wouldn't make too much of Barnett's performance last week, scrimmages are conducted as learning opportunities. Let's wait to see if Blake repeats the same mistakes or if he actually learned from them. I don't expect we'll leave spring with a named leader, and would it really mean anything if we did.

As one who's been around to see springs come and go I don't care who emerges on top as the only real question is; can he lead us to points and victories.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

An interesting side note would be Florida's spring game. Pineiro attempted 5 field goals, all from beyond 46 yards and he made from 46, 52, and 56. That's a little annoying...

Luke Del Rio appears to be on the inside track for the starting Florida job as well. He went 10-11 for 176 yards and 2 TDs. The interesting thing to me was that by transferring Luke Del Rio cost himself a shot at Alabama's starting job last year.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

An interesting side note would be Florida's spring game. Pineiro attempted 5 field goals, all from beyond 46 yards and he made from 46, 52, and 56. That's a little annoying...

Luke Del Rio appears to be on the inside track for the starting Florida job as well. He went 10-11 for 176 yards and 2 TDs. The interesting thing to me was that by transferring Luke Del Rio cost himself a shot at Alabama's starting job last year.
But what caliber defense was he competing against wearing a black jersey? Just a question. Not an argument.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The only opinion I really have is that I believe Barnett has the highest ceiling and probably can improve the most in the shortest time.

That said, I don't think there are many clues who the starter may be come Sept. 3. Too much still to happen.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

...The interesting thing to me was that by transferring Luke Del Rio cost himself a shot at Alabama's starting job last year.
When your dad (a USCw alum) hates your new OC (USCw's former coach), that's the kind of decision that gets made by (or perhaps for) a 19-year-old kid...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

But what caliber defense was he competing against wearing a black jersey? Just a question. Not an argument.
Florida's second string defense, which should still be pretty good. I don't know how Del Rio would have done at Alabama, but I do know he was actually directly behind Blake Sims on the depth chart when he transferred. No, he wasn't playing the year Blake started due to the scholarship situation, but I do think he'd have had a decent shot the past couple of seasons. It is what it is though.

It's tough watching Eddie make those kicks cause they would have been good from 65yrds out easily..I hate he switched at the last moment, but, I'm happy for Coach Mac..I still have a ton of respect for him & hope he does great things at Florida(unless we play them)..
Yeah... I'd still take how AG performed and how that all turned out anyway, so when it was probably AG's strong performance that lead to him looking elsewhere I can't complain too much.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Seeing Saban's comments, Bateman and Cornwell ahead of the others. Honestly means jack.... Even if one was light years ahead, no way Nick says so...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

CNS talked about Bateman, Cornwell and Hurts. No mention about Barnett. Could be something could be nothing..

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Second-hand info on the scrimmage that I've gathered from Twitter/other sites:

-Barnett had another sub-par day. He threw a couple picks with at least one returned for a TD.

-Cornwell had his moments. Consistency continues to be an issue.

-Jalen Hurts is going to be a star. Strong arm and very elusive. Had one long TD run. I doubt he will be ready this year, but his future looks bright.

-Bateman looks like the guy right now. One person described him as "light years ahead of the others." Exaggeration or not, he has been the most consistent. He did throw at least one INT.

I still wouldn't count anyone out yet as we know how much things can change between spring and fall, but this seems to be where we're headed as of now.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

-Barnett had another sub-par day. He threw a couple picks with at least one returned for a TD.

-Cornwell had his moments. Consistency continues to be an issue.
I took a peak back at some A-Day stats and what not and I was surprised to see just about everyone throwing interceptions. I think that is indicative about how they run scrimmages and A-Day, but both Cornwell and Bateman seen to have throw their fair share. I think at this point in time it's fair to say both need to develop more and obviously there is a limited timetable.

-Jalen Hurts is going to be a star. Strong arm and very elusive. Had one long TD run. I doubt he will be ready this year, but his future looks bright.

-Bateman looks like the guy right now. One person described him as "light years ahead of the others." Exaggeration or not, he has been the most consistent. He did throw at least one INT.
It is just so hard to imagine Hurts being the guy this year, or playing at all but I keep hearing good things about him. Then again, it isn't so much they do right as what they do wrong. It certainly appears Bateman is the guy by default thus far though, but with there only being four guys in contention at all, I doubt there's a lot of pressure for the coaches to narrow things down until the fall.

Interesting situation but thus far it seems to be a matter of can talent overcome experience.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

It is just so hard to imagine Hurts being the guy this year, or playing at all but I keep hearing good things about him.
I'm not all trying to say you guys are doing this, just borrowing the quotes.

Ain't it crazy how for what seems like 57 years in a row, we have this new amazing best ever freshman QB who only needs some experience and then he will win 2 heisman trophies in a row while setting every QB record in the books.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I don't understand the obsession with Barnett. Why wouldn't you want the guy who has had a year or the other guy whose had way more time in the system, and with the players over Barnett? One day, he'll have his time, but Cornwell look(ed) way more impressive in any of the other guys I've seen throughout the years.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

I don't understand the obsession with Barnett. Why wouldn't you want the guy who has had a year or the other guy whose had way more time in the system, and with the players over Barnett? One day, he'll have his time, but Cornwell look(ed) way more impressive in any of the other guys I've seen throughout the years.
I'm fairly sure everyone here wants the QB that will give us the best chance to win. Whoever that is, I don't care as long as Coach thinks he can win. Personally, I hoped Barnett would come on top so that we could have the same QB for a few years. After having AJ for so many years, it's been tough to get used to the one-and-done QB's we've had for the last couple of year. But if Cornwell or Bateman give us the best chance to win, I'm all in.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

What obsession?

I think everyone wants the guy who gives us the best opportunity. That isn't always the veteran guy. Having time in a system doesn't dictate success, nor does just being super talented.

I think a lot of people cling to Barnett as the hope because the small sample size of Bateman was not good, and Cornwell just vanished last summer/fall.

That's fairly legit reasoning to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

What Saban doesn't say is often as important as what he does say.

In today's Birmingham News and Tuscaloosa News, he's quoted as saying the first team is playing with consistency and discipline. History would indicate that they're also doing the right things in the classroom and the weightroom, and not doing stupid stuff off campus. That doesn't mean that all 24 starters are immune from mistakes. Just that, as a whole, they're meeting Saban's quite high standard.

He mentioned Bo Scarbrough doing really well, and that Damien Harris was playing with a lot m ore confidence and maturity. Also said that BJ Emmons and Joshua Jacobs would have an opportunity for playing time.

Regarding QBs, he mentioned Bateman, Cornwell and Hurts. Specifically mentioned Bateman moving the team. Later, he's quoted as saying, "Who can move the team the best and take care of the ball is the guy that will come out on top." To me, that amounts to clear advantage Bateman. No mention of Barnett (more on that below), and you have to figure they'd like to redshirt Hurts if at all possible. Leaves Cornwell as #2.

Here's what he didn't say:
No mention of backs behind Scarbrough and Harris. In combination with the mention of true freshmen earning time, that says our concerns about depth are valid. Essentially, we don't have a third RB on campus right now who can consistently play winning football in the SEC.

In a deafening omission, no mention of Barnett. In combination with what was generally reported as a shaky performance the previous week, I think it's safe to say he's #4 right now. My own personal take, with absolutely no inside information whatsoever, is that it may not be all his fault. Last fall, there was some discussion about an unspecified medical condition. And several observers have mentioned that it doesn't look like he's gained any weight, even after a year in Cochran's S&C program. I'm not at all convinced that he's past whatever that medical issue was.

Early in the interview, no mention of second-teamers discipline and attention to detail. Later, a comment that they're not playing with the the discipline he'd like to see at this point. I interpret that as there's a bigger than normal dropoff between first and second team. So I'm also thinking that building that sort of approach in the 2s and 3s will be the primary goal of the offseason.

Overall, Saban's comfort with where the 1s are at this point is bad news for the rest of the CFB world. His lack of comfort with the rest of the team shows that we still have work to do. QB is down to Bateman and Cornwell, with Bateman getting some separation. If he keeps doing what he's doing, it'll take an injury for someone else to get the job.

There's no question we have the material for another playoff run. If the 1s keep their focus, and help the coaches lead the 2s and 3s to that same focus, and we don't get injuries at QB or Scarbrough (a bit scary, given his history), we have the best chance of anybody of being in Tampa on January 9.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I will answer the Barnett hype question. He's basically the top QB prospect Alabama has had since Brodie Croyle. That's a lot of hype, but with Brodie and with Barnett there's never been any question at all of talent. Barnett is a good runner with a good arm, and good size. He has the physical tools and people are not going to stop believing in him anytime soon. He also conducted himself perfectly as a recruit and showed leadership and helping steer players to Alabama.

I mentioned it earlier, but I'll reiterate the points here. He is in a lot of ways like Phillip Sims. Both were very highly ranked as prospects, both were very highly touted, both were talked up as candidates for the starting job as redshirt freshman. Now with Phillip Sims it was a mixed bag. Remember, even though he never really got it together completely, he was given a chance of earning the starting job over AJ all the way into the regular season. Now, he turned out to basically be a college bust right?

So why are NFL teams still taking a look at him? What's the deal with a college bust still getting a chance with NFL teams? Because he's so darn talented, that's why! And when someone is that talented, people are going to look at him and go if he just gets it together he could be something special. I also brought up OJ Howard, he's another really talented guy, but for a while he seemed to vanish right? A really talented guy not doing much on the field. Then all of the sudden there he is, the dominating force we all knew he could be. That's what is so enticing about a talent like Blake Barnett, the fact that I think we all know if he can get to where he needs to be mentally and perhaps get a little better conditioning, he can be something special.

Now, having said that will he be that guy this year or even at Alabama? He might not, but I don't think spring is going to be the determining factor on that either. Then we do get back to Bateman and why people might not be as behind him as one might expect. Well, he didn't hit the ground running at Alabama. Luke Del Rio came in at the same time and surpassed him at the depth chart so he was buried in the depth chart until he re-emerged last season. Then there was some struggles last year as well, which I think left the door open in a lot of people's minds. Coker and Blake Sims both struggled though so it doesn't mean Bateman isn't capable of doing the job, but there's another dynamic here that's hard to miss.

From my recollection Alabama hasn't had that many 4 star quarterbacks since Nick Saban has been at Alabama. Now, some services had guys at 3 or 4, or 4 or 5 but from I believe the 4+ guys would be Star Jackson, Phillip Sims, Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell, Blake Barnett, and Jalen Hurts. So, not only is Alabama going to get a 4 star starter at QB, but it's just the most talent laded group of guys going after the job we've seen. It is going to be really hard to completely give up on any of those guys because they're all very talented.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.