2016 Season QB Thread

It's way to early to say much about either guy. BB and JH both played good against a very weak D. If I was a GM for a NFL team and had to take one of them I would take BB. I don't understand why about half of the JH fans get so upset if something good is said about BB. Wasn't BB ranked higher coming out of high school? The reason I ask the question is because some talk about JH been so good because his dad was a coach and he played football in Texas. Two things the really don't mean anything.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It's way to early to say much about either guy. BB and JH both played good against a very weak D. If I was a GM for a NFL team and had to take one of them I would take BB. I don't understand why about half of the JH fans get so upset if something good is said about BB. Wasn't BB ranked higher coming out of high school? The reason I ask the question is because some talk about JH been so good because his dad was a coach and he played football in Texas. Two things the really don't mean anything.
Yes, Blake was higher rated than AJ an Croyle. Considering both were in their first game the coaches will look at execution no matter what period of the game. I am hearing Blake was only effective because he was in mop up, that he was nervous at the start and would not have settled down......subjective. That the team played harder for Jalen.....subjective.

The question, not ESPN's highlight reels. Does Jalen's feet beat our RB's vs a less mobile quarterback with potentially a better arm and an array of NFL receivers.

Hypothetically, last year, with Henry, would Jalen have been more productive running TD's assuming Coker had a stronger more accurate arm with the caliber of receiver's. That is what we will find out and what the coaches will look at imo. Consistency putting the ball in the the best RB or receiver's hands the best way to get it there. And there are many. The more productive playmakers in the game increases your winning percentage imo.

The stereotype of the 2 QB's, and that is all there is (sorry Bateman) will be defined much more in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
O.K.,so you tell me and everyone else here, how Blake can be better than A.J. and Coker?
How CAN he be better? Easy-win 2 or 3 national championships. He is more physically gifted than either one, so the potential is there. The word CAN deals with potential, as in "be able to."

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Being the son of a coach helps more than you know, trust me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, Blake was higher rated than AJ an Croyle. Considering both were in their first game the coaches will look at execution no matter what period of the game. I am hearing Blake was only effective because he was in mop up, that he was nervous at the start and would not have settled down......subjective. That the team played harder for Jalen.....subjective.

The question, not ESPN's highlight reels. Does Jalen's feet beat our RB's vs a less mobile quarterback with potentially a better arm and an array of NFL receivers.

Hypothetically, last year, with Henry, would Jalen have been more productive running TD's assuming Coker had a stronger more accurate arm with the caliber of receiver's. That is what we will find out and what the coaches will look at imo. Consistency putting the ball in the the best RB or receiver's hands the best way to get it there. And there are many. The more productive playmakers in the game increases your winning percentage imo.

The stereotype of the 2 QB's, and that is all there is (sorry Bateman) will be defined much more in 3 weeks.
That's the issue and is the reason I wish we had seen more of BB earlier in the game, although the game was salted away early. In terms of arm quality, the QBs are Cornwell, Barnett, Hurts and Bateman. Wheels are Hurts, Bateman-Barnett (tie) and Cornwell. (Cornwell is disabled, anyway.) This is the way the staff views them presently. The question comes down to whether Hurts dual-threat status primes BB's arm. It's obviously going to play out further...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
By what metric? Compared to his performances at home, Sims was awful on the road...
I did the numbers yesterday. The stats were heavily in favor of home games. Not sure what perception he is referencing. Plus, why that has anything to do with the discussion other than his fear of a dual threat QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I am OK with either guy but your continuous argument is Blake will get the ball to our NFL WR's and RB's better than Jalen. Kiffin is going to get the ball to his playmakers no matter who the QB is and it just so happens that Jalen is a big time playmaker himself. Your point about the more productive playmakers in the game increases your winning percentage is really an argument for Jalen to be the guy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am OK with either guy but your continuous argument is Blake will get the ball to our NFL WR's and RB's better than Jalen. Kiffin is going to get the ball to his playmakers no matter who the QB is and it just so happens that Jalen is a big time playmaker himself. Your point about the more productive playmakers in the game increases your winning percentage is really an argument for Jalen to be the guy.
Well, you have to balance off against that the possibility that BB will become a dangerous playmaker himself, with his arm, primarily...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well, you have to balance off against that the possibility that BB will become a dangerous playmaker himself, with his arm, primarily...
I agree to an extent but my definition of a playmaker really does not fall under a drop back passer IMO. I don't consider Peyton Manning or Tom Brady a playmaker for example. Great, great players who get the ball to their playmakers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree to an extent but my definition of a playmaker really does not fall under a drop back passer IMO. I don't consider Peyton Manning or Tom Brady a playmaker for example. Great, great players who get the ball to their playmakers.
I get what you are saying, but they are so good that I would counter that they actually make many of those plays possible because of their ability at so much more than completing passes. They read defenses and lead their teams. So, while they rely on others to actually put the ball into the end zone, those other players could not make those plays with the same type of success without them. So, who is really making the plays? Both have made average talent look superior.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I get what you are saying, but they are so good that I would counter that they actually make many of those plays possible because of their ability at so much more than completing passes. They read defenses and lead their teams. So, while they rely on others to actually put the ball into the end zone, those other players could not make those plays with the same type of success without them. So, who is really making the plays? Both have made average talent look superior.
I get what you are saying also but this broadens the definition of playmaker quite a bit. Almost every QB in every game at times becomes a playmaker per your description. I think you have to draw a line somewhere.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You just insulted every great qb in the history of football. :wink:

The center reads defenses, makes calls and snaps the ball every play, but when the qb drops back to pass the ball to those "play makers" there's a big difference in one who can make short, safe throws and one who can make every throw and make the defense guard the whole field.

So I'd say that a qb is every bit of a playmaker, even if he's just a drop back passer, as the wide receivers and running backs are. Those play makers would not be stars without their great qbs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You just insulted every great qb in the history of football. :wink:

The center reads defenses, makes calls and snaps the ball every play, but when the qb drops back to pass the ball to those "play makers" there's a big difference in one who can make short, safe throws and one who can make every throw and make the defense guard the whole field.

So I'd say that a qb is every bit of a playmaker, even if he's just a drop back passer, as the wide receivers and running backs are. Those play makers would not be stars without their great qbs.
You may can but I can not consider every QB a playmaker. That is the broadest definition of playmaker. Do you consider Jeremy Johnson a playmaker? There are a lot more QB's I could add to that one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You may can but I can not consider every QB a playmaker. That is the broadest definition of playmaker. Do you consider Jeremy Johnson a playmaker? There are a lot more QB's I could add to that one.
Didn't say "every qb" but I'm talking about "great qbs." Not every drop back passer OR dual threat qb is a play maker. Neither are every wide receiver or running back. There are top players and average ones at every position.

But the ones that excel at their trade, even if they are just a drop back passer, are playmakers in my book.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Over, it's Hurts. Just got to stay healthy. He answered my questions. His style could help prevent injuries, elusiveness vs a run here or there. I think he could prove to be a pocket passer than can get you 40 crucial yards on the ground. I am impressed. Too much hype and an overrated team last week, I think we learned a lot more this week. No hype, just on the field play.

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
Over, it's Hurts. Just got to stay healthy. He answered my questions. His style could help prevent injuries, elusiveness vs a run here or there. I think he could prove to be a pocket passer than can get you 40 crucial yards on the ground. I am impressed. Too much hype and an overrated team last week, I think we learned a lot more this week. No hype, just on the field play.
Yup have to agree.. Thought Hurts was solid tonight.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
I agree it's over. My only concern going forward is what is going to happen with all those under thrown balls into traffic against SEC defenses. It's gonna get bumpy.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I don't know as much about football as some of you, but does it not concern anybody else with ole miss next week that every deep ball hurts threw except 1 or 2 was under thrown? I'm thinking ole miss doesn't let our WRs come down with as many.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.