2016 Season QB Thread

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe it was the Coach Bryant years. We beat Virginia Tech 77-6, or something close to that, in 1973. (And it wasn't running up the score. We probably played 15 RBs and 5 QBs in that game).

We've gotten to the 60s a few times since then, but I don't remember us crossing the 70 point threshold.
I remember as a kid we beat Rice or someone 66-0. I don't remember any 70's. The Bama's, Oky, OSU, Michigan, USC and Texas used to pulverize teams back before title whatever. You could be a Bama man and get a lot of playing time as a 2nd or 3rd stringer as opposed to starting at a lesser school. Play for the Bear.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I remember as a kid we beat Rice or someone 66-0. I don't remember any 70's. The Bama's, Oky, OSU, Michigan, USC and Texas used to pulverize teams back before title whatever. You could be a Bama man and get a lot of playing time as a 2nd or 3rd stringer as opposed to starting at a lesser school. Play for the Bear.
We beat Cal, I believe, 66-0 to start 1973-74 season and then put 70-plus on poor Va Tech. They were coached by a former Bryant assistant. And when they were trailing by 50 points or more going into the fourth quarter and still put the 4 fingers in the air, I almost cried.

We ran the dive play the entire second half. The third-chair tuba player broke one for 25 yards.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to consider - Saban has never outright named a starter with the exception of 2009 (Greg didn't really have competition, either). He didn't say AJ was the starter; he just started AJ. He didn't say Blake was the starter in 2014; he just kept starting Blake. He didn't name Jake the starter last year; he just kept starting him after the OM game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jalen Hurts is the starter unless things go sideways for him. The more interesting thing to me - and I hope we never have to find it out - is who gets on the field if Hurts hits a wall or just implodes in a game. Do we go to redshirt freshman or a redshirt junior (who hasn't even got a meaningful snap this season)?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
CLK has thrown him in the fire, for sure, and asked him to make some difficult throws at times. And yes, some of those we've seen will be picks against stiffer competition.

I'd like to see CLK get Hurts out of the pocket more right now with a run/pass option. FWIW, I wish he would have done this more with BB too, when he played. I didn't think BB was given a fair shake in some of the play calls by CLK to get him into the flow of the game with some easy passes. JMO
I have a feeling we see more of the roll out and RPO's this weekend. Ole Miss speed could work against them if they bite too early on JH running on the edge leaving some open receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Jalen Hurts is the starter unless things go sideways for him. ......
I agree, but Ole Miss is the last early game where I think it could go sideways enough to make a change. Why I believe this is BB's last stand. I don't think Jalen will be yanked after this game if not going well.

I still predict 31-17 Bama.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I believe you are correct, but I believe this is what we must live with if we are going to play a true freshman at QB.

And the reason he's probably being hesitant is he knows throwing INTs is a quick way to the bench so he's going to be more cautious.

Also, with our defense, we don't need Hurts (or Barnett if he's in) to take big chances at this point. Our defense can keep the score low enough most games for us not to have to win in an offensive shootout.

It may take several more games for Hurts to get his timing and confidence down, but considering we've "struggled" on offense but we've still scored plenty, I feel sorry for the team we play when it all starts to click for Hurts.

When's the last time we've scored in the 70's? I could see it happening sometime this year!

Hopefully against the barn!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We kind of see how they're gonna play by how they lined up against FSU. They're gonna try to blow up the zone runs by shooting gaps then making a beeline to the quarterback if it is a pass. They're confident in their DL's ability to finish off a runner before he can get started especially if he's a bit indecisive on his reads and decision to bail. FSU adjusted by moving the pocket more often and sorta abandoning the run first approach until later in the game.

We've got to be able to pass because I think we're going to struggle to run it unless we've got something up our sleeves. Personally, I've felt like our dependence on the zone block runs has really hurt us against Ole Miss ever since Freeze and his staff got to Oxford. We just haven't ran effectively against these guys since 2012. There have been some good days from our tailbacks in terms of yards but the effective run %s haven't been great. What they do up front is a sort of kryptonite to a zone run team.

I'm not sure but I feel like 2008 was the last year where man block schemes were a significant part of the offense. We'd inside and outside zone like we do today but they had a power game that could abuse teams. I'd love to see us try something like that against Ole Miss. All their guys are trying to shoot the gaps to breakdown double team blocks. So surprise them by having guys just get ahold of them and pull a guard and/or tackle around to knock the snot out of their undersized linebackers and safeties.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Addendum to that one (and moving on since this kinda off-topic):

We've broke 200+ yards rushing twice against Ole Miss in 4 games under Freeze.

2012: They absolutely stymied the run game with what was likely the best OL we've ever had under Saban and maybe in school history.

2013: This was a dominant night in terms of yards but very much a boom-bust affair.

2014: Abysmal.

2015: 200+ rushing yards but almost all of it happened late in the game once we were down 3 scores at varying times.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
We kind of see how they're gonna play by how they lined up against FSU. They're gonna try to blow up the zone runs by shooting gaps then making a beeline to the quarterback if it is a pass. They're confident in their DL's ability to finish off a runner before he can get started especially if he's a bit indecisive on his reads and decision to bail. FSU adjusted by moving the pocket more often and sorta abandoning the run first approach until later in the game.

We've got to be able to pass because I think we're going to struggle to run it unless we've got something up our sleeves. Personally, I've felt like our dependence on the zone block runs has really hurt us against Ole Miss ever since Freeze and his staff got to Oxford. We just haven't ran effectively against these guys since 2012. There have been some good days from our tailbacks in terms of yards but the effective run %s haven't been great. What they do up front is a sort of kryptonite to a zone run team.

I'm not sure but I feel like 2008 was the last year where man block schemes were a significant part of the offense. We'd inside and outside zone like we do today but they had a power game that could abuse teams. I'd love to see us try something like that against Ole Miss. All their guys are trying to shoot the gaps to breakdown double team blocks. So surprise them by having guys just get ahold of them and pull a guard and/or tackle around to knock the snot out of their undersized linebackers and safeties.
Yeah!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From CFB film room. Hopefully with more reps Jalen will achieve a higher % on the downfield throws. He's had some good downfield passes dropped also..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I hope not, but this thread could stay alive a few more weeks. I am wanting to see some dual threat from Jalen Saturday, which can have the same effect as spreading the field, opening up inside running lanes and intermediate range passing.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He was two drops and a holding penalty away from having over 400 yards, 4 TDs and 70+% completion percentage Saturday.

Think it's safe to say he was hurt by those.
This is what I was telling some of my friends and he would have been the talk of the football world. I am more confident with Jalen and his supporting cast than I have been since AJ left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.