2016 Season QB Thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some info in this article that I had not seen before. For those who are interested:

Blake Barnett Increases 'On-Base Percentage'
Thanks for sharing!!!

As it has been speculated, not all those INTs in practices have probably been Barnett's "fault." Some of them were, but we never really heard that some could have been catchable or tipped but then ended up picked off. This article explained that one of them should have been caught since it hit the receiver in his hands.

I'm excited about seeing Barnett on the field when the bright lights are shining on him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I also saw where the reps the last few practices are pretty evenly split with Bateman and Barnett. Another indication that Barnett will play a good bit....and as the article speculated...could possibly even start.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Here's last nights WVUA 23 TiderInsider with Rodney Orr & Gary Harris video from YouTube..Lots of great updated Crimson Tide info that I put more stock into than any of the other media personalities..

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Last year the prevailing attitude coming from fall camp was that Bama had no QB - they were all pathetic - some hoping Barnett would get the nod. Same as the Blake Sims' year, except for a few who put Coker on their preseason Heisman Watch list.

This is amazing and hilarious to watch: some bright, competent men making the same mistake over and over.
Just to be clear, I've not been claiming to be bright or competent; at least not outside of blue font. ;-)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am guilty of being one of the fans that favors some guys over another solely based on following them in HS, I last felt that way with AJ. Blake is that guy that I secretly want to win the job, at the same time wanting the best man to win it.........I just believe and want it to be him. Sounds like good news for this elite blue chip recruit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I believe that USC will come after the QB, whoever gets the start. I think that the decision of whom to start hinged directly on this and the upperclassmen should be better at handling that pressure. Also, it may not be the fairest situation to insert a true freshman. However, if the front two falter at all, I think Hurts will be in the game. They think that much of him...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I believe that USC will come after the QB, whoever gets the start. I think that the decision of whom to start hinged directly on this and the upperclassmen should be better at handling that pressure. Also, it may not be the fairest situation to insert a true freshman. However, if the front two falter at all, I think Hurts will be in the game. They think that much of him...
I agree 100% with ya Earle..Do you think the last minute move of Bozeman to C, was for the purpose of allowing our offense to establish our running game from the get-go, I thought Bozeman looked great last year at C plowing the way opening holes for our RB's..When he filled in for Kelly as our backup C..If we can establish a decent running game early on, that will help our young QB tremendously, when he's called upon to make some passes to keep USC's D honest..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree 100% with ya Earle..Do you think the last minute move of Bozeman to C, was for the purpose of allowing our offense to establish our running game from the get-go, I thought Bozeman looked great last year at C plowing the way opening holes for our RB's..When he filled in for Kelly as our backup C..If we can establish a decent running game early on, that will help our young QB tremendously, when he's called upon to make some passes to keep USC's D honest..
Yes, that's exactly the reason for the late switch (and probable later reversal). USC is in an analogous situation, which is why they're starting Browne, rather than their young hotshot. However the primary difference is that they will have to blitz to bring pressure, which will expose some weaknesses. I don't expect that we will...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was a bad break for them that Wheeler got dinged up because that may allow us to minimize the blitzing even more if Williams and Allen get lathered up

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Yes, that's exactly the reason for the late switch (and probable later reversal). USC is in an analogous situation, which is why they're starting Browne, rather than their young hotshot. However the primary difference is that they will have to blitz to bring pressure, which will expose some weaknesses. I don't expect that we will...
Honestly had to look up the word "analogous". Thank you for keeping me a life-long learner, Earle!:biggrin2:

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make great points as usual Earle..If USC has to bring pressure by blitzing, that's going to leave someone in their secondary on a island by themselve, that scenario has to have Ridley, Stewart & the rest of our WR group licking their chops being in that kinda situation..Our skill guys on offense are as good as any group in college football & as good as USC's DB's may be..It definitely an advantage for us if they're put in single coverage against our WR's..

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
You make great points as usual Earle..If USC has to bring pressure by blitzing, that's going to leave someone in their secondary on a island by themselve, that scenario has to have Ridley, Stewart & the rest of our WR group licking their chops being in that kinda situation..Our skill guys on offense are as good as any group in college football & as good as USC's DB's may be..It definitely an advantage for us if they're put in single coverage against our WR's..
Nobody's even remembering Robert Foster. We're ridiculously loaded. Can't wait!!!

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I think we are going to be fine, but I am worried about something that I read a little while back.

For the first time in a long time we are replacing the enitre "middle" of our offense; center, qb, rb. When was the last time we had to replace every one of these positions at the same time? I know that might not seem like a big deal, but it what concerns me the most. Until we snap the ball on Saturday, that worry will be there. I'm hoping, as Earle and Tideman09 explained, putting Bozeman at the center with his run blocking style will help open holes for the running backs and take a lot of the pressure off the qb's. Gotta be confident playing this game.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Nobody's even remembering Robert Foster. We're ridiculously loaded. Can't wait!!!
Trust me I didn't forget him or Kief, Cam Sims, TJ Simmons, Xavian Marks, Dieter & whoever else in out talented WR group I didn't list..Just soooo many to remember & list..LOL..I do think Foster will be a key clog against USC & with him being healthy this will be his breakout season..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.