2016 Season QB Thread

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Just for the record, I've read through all these opinions and come to the obvious conclusion. I am the only person here who knows anything about QBs and who will start. And Lord help Coach Saban if he doesn't start the player I know is the right person, because we will go 0-11. Everybody should know to trust a shrink to pick the QB starter.

;-) Play nice guys, we're on the same team, and our problem is we have a bunch of good options that could all do pretty well and nobody knows who would definitively be the best option.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Aaron Suttles was just on the Cublic show here in Huntsville. He made the troubling statement that he didn't see Alabama playing championship football with either of the 2 QB's on the depth chart at this point based on what he has seen.

Don't flame me - just posting what I heard him say :)
Aaron Suttles opinion means no more than anyone else's. All our guys are capable, we just need to get it sorted out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We were a dang good 3rd down offense in 2014 but didn't get them when we needed them in the CFP semifinal game. As a logical guy, I take the averages but the results sometimes defy the logic. That is the reason football is so interesting.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Be honest - if Cecil Hurt made that comment, would you guys have that reaction or would you give it some credit?
I couldn't see Cecil making such a comment. If he did though, I'd still take it with a grain of salt. I respect what these people do but that kind of comment implies our 5 time national champion coach doesn't know his team.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I did not realize I had to respond every comment by every person about every observation regarding the QB situation at Alabama. I gave my opinion and right now it means as much in the grand scheme as yours, Phil Savage's, or literally anyone else's not on Alabama's staff. I really don't understand the attitude here, but whatever. It's game week and I'm excited about the game, not worried about people who want to be petty.
Spot on about the attitude on here.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Be honest - if Cecil Hurt made that comment, would you guys have that reaction or would you give it some credit?
Because I'm a layman and newer to sorting out the validity and insight of some of these beat reporters I'd probably have a similar reaction. I feel like CNS has been positive overall on the QB's. Also the comment of "championship football" being boiled down to just the QB's when other's have pointed out the GMAC situation. I don't think Cecil would make a comment like that because it's rarely spectacular play from the QB's that wins championships for Bama. From what I've read of Suttles I really like him, but he's kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with that sort of statement.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Aaron is stating what we already know. He was talking to an aubie as well. The QB's are not looking very good right now , but we weren't getting championship play out of the QB position this time last year either and look where we ended up.

We have to have a QB who is capable of winning a game for us or we end up with games like we played again Ole sis last year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think Cecil has more sense than to make that kind of a statement at this point in the game. 1. He knows the limits of his knowledge and accepts it and 2. He would give the young man a chance on the field before making that kind of a harsh judgment.

CB may or may not get it together this year. Heck, maybe no one will be ready, but the more veteran player - if you play the chances - gives us the best chance year in and year out. FSU for years played juniors and seniors and were a consistent top 5 team. Same for us except for AJ's RSo season (in which we won the NT, but not the SEC). If someone does not get it done someone else will be given the chance, but the coaches are going to start whomever they think gives the team the best chance to win NOW. That's worked out pretty well so far.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Aaron is stating what we already know. He was talking to an aubie as well. The QB's are not looking very good right now , but we weren't getting championship play out of the QB position this time last year either and look where we ended up.

We have to have a QB who is capable of winning a game for us or we end up with games like we played again Ole sis last year.
Outside of Clemson, South Carolina I imagine very few are playing at a high level right now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This thread got a little chippy there for a moment. I'm not really trying to stir the pot again, but I was also too busy yesterday to really keep up so I'm catching up now. I have one comment, which is that it's one thing to hope Hurts is such a generational talent that he can't be kept off the field, and another to say that he's an exciting 3rd option if the first two make too many mistakes. I would have been excited if JH won the competition because he's unstoppable, but I'm not excited by the narrative that he might be ready by mid-season to replace the ones who made too many mistakes. The tweet by Suttles plays into that slightly more negative narrative that the other guys aren't good enough, that they might stumble, and (though he didn't call out JH by name, it feels implied by the comment about the "2 QBs on the depth chart") that Hurts maybe should have been the choice due to the inadequacies of the other two. Suttles is entitled to his opinion, but I agree with those who point out he's not in a position to know much. I am sure nobody here means to root against any QB, but there has been relatively more skepticism expressed about the two older guys' abilities and than about Hurts' own (apart from limited time to learn the offense). Anyway, I've noticed a subtle shift from "Hurts might be that good" to "The other guys might be that (weak armed, inconsistent, turnover prone, etc)," but I'm not into that second narrative.
The "2 QB's" may not have looked like they were capable of playing a high level of play when Suttle's watched them at practice, but, when they're practicing against what's perhaps the best D Coach Saban has ever fielded..Not many college QB's will look good or play at a high level when you're practicing against our D & behind a O-Line that's trying to find an identity practicing against one of the absolute best D's in college football..

I just don't think it's fair to judge our QB's & our offense practicing against our dominant D cause we've looked fairly good on offense every 1st game under Coach Saban..I don't think that will change this year against USC..Coach Saban has been consistent in the fact that irregardless, if a Player is a True Freshmen & he's the best Player at his position that gives our team the best chance to win..That Player will play..If Hurts doesn't play that means he's not ready & I completely trust Coach Saban on that decision..

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
Really excited to see Barnett at QB..

I know Hurts was the popular choice but I think people are slightly under rating Barnett's abilities. Watch any of his Highlight reels from HS and you will see that he is a legitimate Dual Threat. Some eye catching runs and decent Top End speed!

The kid is good and he will deliver if he's given the chance. Hurts will get his shot but right now I'm really excited to see how Barnett develops..

Roll Tide!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I know Hurts was the popular choice but I think people are slightly under rating Barnett's abilities. Watch any of his Highlight reels from HS and you will see that he is a legitimate Dual Threat. Some eye catching runs and decent Top End speed!

The kid is good and he will deliver if he's given the chance. Hurts will get his shot but right now I'm really excited to see how Barnett develops..

Roll Tide!
Blake does have a lot of talent and potential. He has to get the gunslinger mentality out of his head and make the safe, smart read instead of trying to throw a dart into a seam with double coverage. If he does and takes his shots when they are there he will be very successful.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Roll Tide!
Can you say that again with a British accent???

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He has to get the gunslinger mentality out of his head and make the safe, smart read instead of trying to throw a dart into a seam with double coverage.
You know... I had the same concerns about AJ and that's one reason I was a bit concerned about him as a starter. He proved me wrong and had less turnovers in the entire season than he has in scrimmages. It is certainly within reason that Barnett do something similar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.