2016 Season QB Thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know we can't read too much into the reporters' snippets, but I am happy to see they are dropping Blake Barnett's name pretty often as they describe some of the better passes they are witnessing.

Whoever wins the job at QB is going to have the opportunity to shine with our dynamic receivers.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

I know we can't read too much into the reporters' snippets, but I am happy to see they are dropping Blake Barnett's name pretty often as they describe some of the better passes they are witnessing.

Whoever wins the job at QB is going to have the opportunity to shine with our dynamic receivers.
Funny thing is Saban consistently talked about Bateman, Cornwell more than he has about Barnett.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Funny thing is Saban consistently talked about Bateman, Cornwell more than he has about Barnett.
Yep. It's way to early for any of this to really mean anything but right now it sounds like it may come down to Bateman and Cornwell..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Yep. It's way to early for any of this to really mean anything but right now it sounds like it may come down to Bateman and Cornwell..
Again, why I mentioned it's coming from the reporters.

Agree it's too early to draw conclusions, even from CNS's comments.

Spring may give us a slight pecking order, but the real competition begins in August most likely.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

"The guy that wins the quarterback job is going to be the guy that wins the team over with his ability to play on a consistent basis, make the kind of choices and decisions, show the kind of leadership to affect other people. I think this is something that everybody in the group needs to work on."

Saw this earlier this morning. Do we know why he mentioned these two and not the other two? Could be the result of a reporters question.

Interesting he notes Bateman getting the most snaps. I imagine that could be due to his veteran status...but maybe it means more.

However, the quote about all four of them needing to work on winning over the team is the most important thing in that article IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

i just hope the qb battle doesn't produce the sour grapes it has the two years amongst fans. I still can't believe that a few posters were still so anti Jake that it seemed that they were more hoping him to fail than for us to win a championship with him behind center.

To paraphrase, but with actual support, the GOP candidates," I will lend my support to the eventual quarterback, even if he wasn't the guy I picked on a Tidefans forum."

But it should be an interesting battle to say the least. May the best man win

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I agree, the fall camp is where it matters the most. I'm curious to see how Hurt progresses in the summer and fall. Will he rise up to no. 2 spot?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

i just hope the qb battle doesn't produce the sour grapes it has the two years amongst fans. I still can't believe that a few posters were still so anti Jake that it seemed that they were more hoping him to fail than for us to win a championship with him behind center.

To paraphrase, but with actual support, the GOP candidates," I will lend my support to the eventual quarterback, even if he wasn't the guy I picked on a Tidefans forum."

But it should be an interesting battle to say the least. May the best man win
I loath the thought of another extended QB battle. It's hard to criticize the process that has been so successful but it's also hard ignore the fact that were it not for something equal the the Steelers famed immaculate reception by Arkansas the season would have ended for Alabama right then and there and it would have been because they did NOT pick a QB fast enough. Add to the fact that I believe Ole Miss will be only slightly less talented than last season, Auburn will undoubtedly have a huge comeback season (like they always do when everyone expects them to suck) and LSU will probably have a job saving season for the grass eater. We still have no depth at running back and all that tells me our QB needs to be able to score, score often, and score from anywhere on the field. Leadership is surely important but Patton didn't make his living as a Quarterback. He needs an ARM!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I don't think the QB competition will be as heated this year as it was in years past. I don't think Jalen Hurts has a realistic shot at starting due to the fact he's a true freshman. The other 3 QBs have very similar skill sets and the offense would presumably be the pretty much the same regardless of which one plays. They all have their strengths and weaknesses: Bateman is probably the most athletic but has the least arm talent (but still adequate to run the offense), Cornwell has the most arm talent and best physical stature but has lacked intangibles up to this point, Barnett seems to have the best blend of arm talent and athleticism but he is still very young, had some serious health problems last year and some would say he needs to put on some more weight - I don't really agree with that but one could make a valid point of it. What created divides between the fan base with the previous QB competitions were different skill sets. That's not the case this year so I think everyone can just hope for an injury free competition and may the best man win..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I agree with the way too early part, not so sure about the Bateman and Cornwell part. This time last year Cornwell and Barnett had emerged as popular names and it ended up coming down to Coker and Bateman. I think we'll know more at A-Day but even then, things can change before they start up practice again in the fall (like they did last year). There's also been points in time that both Bateman and Cornwell were written off.

I still think smart money is on Barnett, but he has to continue developing. I think he'll have to kind of take the job from Bateman and Cornwell and that's not a given. Bateman has the experience, and Cornwell has always possessed the tools a pocket passer needs. We'll see, but I think this has to be a pretty fluid situation.

It honestly feels a little less desperate than in years past. There are three quarterbacks that seem to have a legitimate shot at starting. Alabama fans have the luxury of not hoping the true freshman can mature fast enough to start. This is in contrast to a couple years back in which some people were hoping a true freshman (David Cornwell) could somehow be the guy, or the following season in which some held out the same hope for Barnett. We'll see how things turn out but in previous years it quickly turned into a 2 QB battle with a distant third. I like the idea of three good options, it lessens the idea of making a choice out of desperation. It also helps a bit that we're talking about nothing but four star+ quarterbacks, there's no truly dubious talent in the mix.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I agree with the way too early part, not so sure about the Bateman and Cornwell part. This time last year Cornwell and Barnett had emerged as popular names and it ended up coming down to Coker and Bateman. I think we'll know more at A-Day but even then, things can change before they start up practice again in the fall (like they did last year). There's also been points in time that both Bateman and Cornwell were written off.

I still think smart money is on Barnett, but he has to continue developing. I think he'll have to kind of take the job from Bateman and Cornwell and that's not a given. Bateman has the experience, and Cornwell has always possessed the tools a pocket passer needs. We'll see, but I think this has to be a pretty fluid situation.

It honestly feels a little less desperate than in years past. There are three quarterbacks that seem to have a legitimate shot at starting. Alabama fans have the luxury of not hoping the true freshman can mature fast enough to start. This is in contrast to a couple years back in which some people were hoping a true freshman (David Cornwell) could somehow be the guy, or the following season in which some held out the same hope for Barnett. We'll see how things turn out but in previous years it quickly turned into a 2 QB battle with a distant third. I like the idea of three good options, it lessens the idea of making a choice out of desperation. It also helps a bit that we're talking about nothing but four star+ quarterbacks, there's no truly dubious talent in the mix.
Don't disagree at all. I'm rooting for the one who can be "a weapon." In my mind I'm favoring BB, but not many things about Bama football get settled in "my mind." :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Saban asks the QB to lead, take care of the ball, make plays when they're there, lead, make good reads, put the O in the right play, take care of the ball, lead, and not make mistakes.

Did I mention lead and take care of the ball?

It's just really difficult for a 19-year-old to command the respect and followership of a 22-year-old fifth year senior. On top of that, talented youngsters are renowned for their ability to force plays, leading to turnovers. That's why youngsters have such a hard time earning the spot.

So my own way-too-early guess is that Bateman leads coming out of the spring. Cornwell and Barnett slug it out for the backup spot with the leader being the one that minimizes bad reads and turnovers. 50/50 chance one of the two transfers. Hurts is on track for a redshirt.

Wild card is injuries. If the injury bug bites, all that is out the window.

Last edited:

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison

The pattern that I see is past runners-up in the QB competition who have served as the game-prepared back-up becoming the starter in the following season. No rule that says that has to happen (in fact it almost didn't for Jake), but I can think of a lot of reasons why it would. Sims v. Coker says "hello."

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I thought coach Saban was responding to two specific questions about Bateman and Cornwell. He wasn't asked about Barnett. The message I took away from CNS statements were that whoever gains the teams confidence, will have a leg up to start. It sounds like no one has done that yet.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Saban asks the QB to lead, take care of the ball, make plays when they're there, lead, make good reads, put the O in the right play, take care of the ball, lead, and not make mistakes.

Did I mention lead and take care of the ball?

It's just really difficult for a 19-year-old to command the respect and followership of a 22-year-old fifth year senior. On top of that, talented youngsters are renowned for their ability to force plays, leading to turnovers. That's why youngsters have such a hard time earning the spot.

So my own way-too-early guess is that Bateman leads coming out of the spring. Cornwell and Barnett slug it out for the backup spot with the leader being the one that minimizes bad reads and turnovers. 50/50 chance one of the two transfers. Hurts is on track for a redshirt.

Wild card is injuries. If the injury bug bites, all that is out the window.
All of this is true but I think that CNS and CLK will ask the QB to do more this year than in any year since CNS has been here. It doesn't appear that we have the proven stable of running backs that we're accustomed to. Bo has had systemic injuries since high school and nobody behind him has seen any significant playing time. I'm not saying the running backs lack talent or ability they are just unproven. Who knows, Damien Harris could be our next heisman trophy winner but the fact is we really don't know what any of the running backs are capable of. However, we do know that the WR group and TEs (well, mainly Howard) are proven commodities. So yea, all those things about just taking care of the ball and all that still holds true for whoever is playing QB but I do think that the offense will be more reliant on the QB position this year than in years past..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Gotta love the off-season kremlinology wrt Saban's comments and warmups.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I dunno, probably being a freshman quarterback...he's got a way's to go, ya know?

I still think he's going to get into the race by the Fall but he's got ground to make up developmental-wise.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

I loath the thought of another extended QB battle. It's hard to criticize the process that has been so successful but it's also hard ignore the fact that were it not for something equal the the Steelers famed immaculate reception by Arkansas the season would have ended for Alabama right then and there and it would have been because they did NOT pick a QB fast enough. Add to the fact that I believe Ole Miss will be only slightly less talented than last season, Auburn will undoubtedly have a huge comeback season (like they always do when everyone expects them to suck) and LSU will probably have a job saving season for the grass eater. We still have no depth at running back and all that tells me our QB needs to be able to score, score often, and score from anywhere on the field. Leadership is surely important but Patton didn't make his living as a Quarterback. He needs an ARM!
To be fair those extended battles have produced two national title runs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.