2016 Season QB Thread

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It's who the players think can put the Hurts on the other team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
How do the coaches assess which QB wins the locker room? Will they ask the leadership council who the players seem to be talking up the most? I think they can assess pretty well who commands the offense better during practice and scrimmage. But the chemistry off the field might be a little harder to assess.

I would be interested to know how some of you perceive winning the locker room to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I`ve wondered myself as to whether or not this occurs and if it does, how much stock is placed in it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not sure that who starts is as important as who really finishes.
My best guess is Hurts has won the team over and also won over CLK.
If he plays and is getting the job done, the search is probably over.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Looks like Bateman will start the USC game considering the order in practice today was the same: Bateman, Barnett then Hurts..

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Looks like Bateman will start the USC game considering the order in practice today was the same: Bateman, Barnett then Hurts..
If you're talking about the order during the viewing period, it means nothing. Cornwell has gone 2nd all fall camp, and he's been out of it from the start. It's just based on seniority.

Now if you're talking about the actual practice reps, then maybe that means something. I did hear Bateman took most of the 1st team reps today, but that doesn't necessarily mean any decision has been made. Hurts could take most of the reps tomorrow. In fact, that's how they did it this time last year. They gave every guy who was still in it a day with the 1s.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If you're talking about the order during the viewing period, it means nothing. Cornwell has gone 2nd all fall camp, and he's been out of it from the start. It's just based on seniority.

Now if you're talking about the actual practice reps, then maybe that means something. I did hear Bateman took most of the 1st team reps today, but that doesn't necessarily mean any decision has been made. Hurts could take most of the reps tomorrow. In fact, that's how they did it this time last year. They gave every guy who was still in it a day with the 1s.

It's the same order they've been in since fall camp started. You'd think if Hurts had a chance to start he'd at least be #2 in line but he's still #3. I know Hurts has taken first team reps at times but he's always been #3 in practice reps and going through drills. JMO but with that being the case Hurts is unlikely to start the game. Hurts may play in the game but I think we have our answer in regards to who will start the game - Bateman..

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As to the win the team comments, didn't Coker win the team last year with hard nosed play? I would assume that the best way to win the team is just what a player does on the field. I mean it's hard to be inspired by a quarterback who has uninspiring play right? I think that is the edge that Hurts seems to hold, you watch him play and you go "wow" and if the other guy doesn't make you do that, it becomes hard not to take his side.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Cornwell has not been second in line all of camp.

It's the same order they've been in since fall camp started. You'd think if Hurts had a chance to start he'd at least be #2 in line but he's still #3. I know Hurts has taken first team reps at times but he's always been #3 in practice reps and going through drills. JMO but with that being the case Hurts is unlikely to start the game. Hurts may play in the game but I think we have our answer in regards to who will start the game - Bateman..
Ehh... I'm not making much of the pecking order of throwing drills to certain position groups during the 30 minutes the media watches.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Cornwell has not been second in line all of camp.
Ehh... I'm not making much of the pecking order of throwing drills to certain position groups during the 30 minutes the media watches.
Someone on AL.com in the comments berated everyone for thinking Hurts was going to start and then said it was between Bateman and Cornwell. :conf2:

I also would NOT bank on what the media is seeing from the QB's in the viewing period. I really think that means nothing at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Someone on AL.com in the comments berated everyone for thinking Hurts was going to start and then said it was between Bateman and Cornwell. :conf2:

I also would NOT bank on what the media is seeing from the QB's in the viewing period. I really think that means nothing at all.
Do we really think CNS would tip his hat by how the qbs line up in throwing drills during the media viewing period?

And, FWIW, the report about Bateman getting reps with the 1's means nothing unless he's the only one getting all those reps, which nobody can verify at this moment.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The QB order during media viewing period/drills has been accurate relative to the depth chart every year CNS has been here. Every other position during the media viewing period has also been accurate in terms of groupings. The first team oline during the media period and drills is the same first team oline during the scrimmages. There's a few battles going on with the oline yet there's still a pecking order. Same with all the other positions in regards to the starters correlating to the groupings in team drills. I'm not saying it can't change but it hasn't yet. With only a week and a half until the game it's hard to believe that #3 in line will jump to #1. Hurts may play my only point is that it doesn't look like he'll start which most of us presumed..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I feel like he does play games with the QB stuff at times. You know that "who is starting LG" is not the same story as "who is starting QB"

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I feel like he does play games with the QB stuff at times. You know that "who is starting LG" is not the same story as "who is starting QB"
I don't remember CNS playing games with the order of QBs in the past. The depth chart has always reflected the order that's reported during practices at least that I can recall. We've never had a QB who was 3rd in line during practice start a game have we?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The QB order during media viewing period/drills has been accurate every year CNS has been here. Every other position during the media viewing period has also been accurate in terms of groupings. The first team oline during the media period and drills is the same first team oline during the scrimmages. There's a few battles going on with the oline yet there's still a pecking order. Same with all the other positions in regards to the starters correlating to the groupings in team drills. I'm not saying it can't change but it hasn't yet. With only a week and a half until the game it's hard to believe that #3 in line will jump to #1. Hurts may play my only point is that it doesn't look like he'll start which most of us presumed..
Again, these are passing drills. At one point it was two lines with Bateman and Barnett and Cornwell and Hurts.

Going off of that Cornwell is #2 and it's already been mentioned that he'll probably transfer.

Now,if everyday this week Bateman is getting the majority of reps with the #1 offense, then that's a pretty good indication he'll get the majority of PT against USC. Only way we'd know this is if there was a lead in info from the closed part of practice OR if CNS releases this info, which is unlikely IMO.

Considering just a few days ago CNS said all 3 (excluding Cornwell) are still in it, until we hear CNS say they've narrowed it down to 1 or even 2 I think we should expect to see multiple qbs against USC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The QB order during media viewing period/drills has been accurate relative to the depth chart every year CNS has been here. Every other position during the media viewing period has also been accurate in terms of groupings. The first team oline during the media period and drills is the same first team oline during the scrimmages. There's a few battles going on with the oline yet there's still a pecking order. Same with all the other positions in regards to the starters correlating to the groupings in team drills. I'm not saying it can't change but it hasn't yet. With only a week and a half until the game it's hard to believe that #3 in line will jump to #1. Hurts may play my only point is that it doesn't look like he'll start which most of us presumed..
But those position drills are working on certain plays or packages. The media only sees the QBs throwing passes to the skill position guys. Not like they group QB3 with RB3, TE3, and WR3. They just have two QBs throw to certain positions.

Bingo. The story is very different if the media sees a true freshmen possibly at the #2 line before he even takes a snap in a game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't remember CNS playing games with the order of QBs in the past. The depth chart has always reflected the order that's reported during practices at least that I can recall. We've never had a QB who was 3rd in line during practice start a game have we?
And that's also led to more speculation. Could he and Lane realize the less "movement" among the QBs in drills, the less speculation from the media and fans?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Again, these are passing drills. At one point it was two lines with Bateman and Barnett and Cornwell and Hurts.

Going off of that Cornwell is #2 and it's already been mentioned that he'll probably transfer.

Now,if everyday this week Bateman is getting the majority of reps with the #1 offense, then that's a pretty good indication he'll get the majority of PT against USC.

Considering just a few days ago CNS said all 3 (excluding Cornwell) are still in it, until we hear CNS say they've narrowed it down to 1 or even 2 I think we should expect to see multiple qbs against USC.
Cornwell hasn't been in the discussion at all because of his foot injury. I was referring to more than just passing drills. When they do walk throughs and such at the open practices it's been Bateman, Barnett and Hurts for several months and it's still the same..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Cornwell hasn't been in the discussion at all because of his foot injury. I was referring to more than just passing drills. When they do walk throughs and such at the open practices it's been Bateman, Barnett and Hurts for several months and it's still the same..
I know nothing except I really don't think anything one could see at an open practice means much about who the #1 qb might/might not be.

Bateman might start, but I think it would have little do to with the order they do walk through drills at an open practice. JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.