2016 Season QB Thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know... I had the same concerns about AJ and that's one reason I was a bit concerned about him as a starter. He proved me wrong and had less turnovers in the entire season than he has in scrimmages. It is certainly within reason that Barnett do something similar.
Yes, it might take a few slaps on the butt from CNS, but I'm hopeful he can do it, if he gets the shot Saturday night!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Listen to Suttles' interview (he's the first interview, so you don't have to listen to the entire 39 minutes). He qualifies his statement with "given what we know about them to this point."

That is a statement I can easily see Cecil Hurt making.
I had to turn off Suttles. He is pretty much all doom and gloom. QB's gonna suck, OL going to stink, run game is gonna be a challenge. Listening to him you'd think 6-6 and a bowl game would be a success. He was one pumping Hurts for the job and IMO he is butt hurt he was wrong. I trust the judgement of Nick and Lane over that of some journalist hack. Yes, Barnett three some pick 6's. However, what was the situation? Was he throwing to Cooper, Foster and Stewart going up VS the 3's on D? Or was he throwing to the 3rd string vs the 1's? Makes a HUGE difference.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I had to turn off Suttles. He is pretty much all doom and gloom. QB's gonna suck, OL going to stink, run game is gonna be a challenge. Listening to him you'd think 6-6 and a bowl game would be a success. He was one pumping Hurts for the job and IMO he is butt hurt he was wrong.
Very well could be some truth to that idea. It's natural to think the guys who were driving the Hurts train were really let down Monday. Only way to save face after annointing JH as the starter would be to imply Saban is making a mistake.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing I don't get is why do you question the guy with 5 national titles when the decision hasn't even been proven wrong on the field?

Maybe, just maybe, Bateman and Barnett are the two best guys right now?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I had to turn off Suttles. He is pretty much all doom and gloom. QB's gonna suck, OL going to stink, run game is gonna be a challenge. Listening to him you'd think 6-6 and a bowl game would be a success. He was one pumping Hurts for the job and IMO he is butt hurt he was wrong. I trust the judgement of Nick and Lane over that of some journalist hack. Yes, Barnett three some pick 6's. However, what was the situation? Was he throwing to Cooper, Foster and Stewart going up VS the 3's on D? Or was he throwing to the 3rd string vs the 1's? Makes a HUGE difference.
I agree 100% with ya my friend..There's a lot of things I worry about in this life, with Coach Saban as our HC, Bama Football isn't something I worry about..Cause there's no other HC on this planet that can do any better than what Coach Saban has done at Bama since becoming our HC & what he will do leading our Boy's this coming season..I'm just going to sit back & enjoy another year of "The Process" that starts this coming Saturday..

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I like the story about Coach Bryant being asked to donate $20 towards the funeral of a sportswriter. Bryant gave $40 and said, "bury two of them."

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I like the story about Coach Bryant being asked to donate $20 towards the funeral of a sportswriter. Bryant gave $40 and said, "bury two of them."
My money is Finebaum. I recall all the negative stuff Finebaum wrote when he worked for the Post Herald. This was asked of CPB when he was close to retirement . Its funny how you never hear Finebaum tell any one on one stories about he and CPB. Because the only time I can recant he ever was invited to meet with him was after the Liberty Bowl game and there were several reporters in the suite and Finebaum was included.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll say this about sportswriters, especially beat writers---more times than not they have a fairly good knowledge of the sport and team(s) they cover, and while they may sometimes have difficulty watching and determining exactly who the best player is at a particular position, they can indeed have a pretty good idea of the one who is definitely not. It's not rocket science.
That being said, I won't agree with Aaron Suttles necessarily, but I'll give his opinion just as much weight as any other sportswriter who covers Bama football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll say this about sportswriters, especially beat writers---more times than not they have a fairly good knowledge of the sport and team(s) they cover, and while they may sometimes have difficulty watching and determining exactly who the best player is at a particular position, they can indeed have a pretty good idea of the one who is definitely not. It's not rocket science.
That being said, I won't agree with Aaron Suttles necessarily, but I'll give his opinion just as much weight as any other sportswriter who covers Bama football.
And they also typically form relationships with people within the program after covering the program several years. Aaron has worked for the Tuscaloosa News for 10 years.

This somewhat brings us back to the discussion had on Monday about "insiders" and "sources." Either all the media guys, Rodney Orr, and others have the same source, or things changed over the weekend to cause Saban to make the decision he did.

Earle, has Rodney said anything about the QB race and what he was told during camp?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The thing I don't get is why do you question the guy with 5 national titles when the decision hasn't even been proven wrong on the field?
That is the whole point of a discussion board.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just wanted to throw this out there. Regardless of which QB plays the most in the game we shouldn't expect the numbers to be great. These are the #s of recent 1st time QBs.

John Parker Wilson vs Hawaii - 16/29 for 253 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Greg McElroy vs Virginia Tech - 15/30 for 230 yards 1 TD 1 INT
*McElory was just 12/26 for 145 yards with 0 TD and 1 INT through the first 3+ quarters before completing 3 of his final 4 passes for 85 yards and a TD
AJ McCarron vs Kent State - 14/23 for 226 yards 1 TD 2 INT
Blake Sims vs West Virginia - 24/33 for 250 yards 0 TD 1 INT (42 yards rushing)
Jake Coker vs Wisconsin - 15/21 for 213 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Just something to keep in mind when the QB doesn't light up the USC defense. We turned out ok with the QBs above.

Here's the full article. It's a slide show so I pulled out the pertinent information.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/how_recent_alabama_qbs_have_fa_1.html#0

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We seem to have a choice between two groups of guys...

On one hand, we've got a guy who has been under Kiffin for Kiffin's entire time at Bama, someone with a taste of game experience, backed up by a redshirt freshman who came in rated as a five star player. As further comfort level, we've got a hotshot true freshman with all kinds of ability and potential.
This combines with a coaching staff's proven ability to tutor young quarterbacks and keep them playing winning football.

On the other hand, we've got a guy who can't properly throw a long ball verses a turnover machine verses a guy so green he's still wet behind the ears. Anybody who looks at this bunch to choose from needs to understand there will be no title run this season, better luck next year.

I guess I'm spoiled or just dumb but I'm not that worried about who gets the qb job, I feel sure he will be a winner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.