2016 Season QB Thread

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Don't remember anything about Barnett having 4 or 5 turnovers.

Seems like it was mentioned he had a fumble and maybe 2 INTS. Not good, obviously, but not 4 or 5 turnovers.

But as late as Wednesday he was still getting 1st team reps according to Ryan Fowler.

I guess it was always going to be this way, even if they named a starter in fall camp, but the job will be won in the first 2 or 3 games and I still think all three may get a legitimate shot to see how they handle the game atmosphere. JMO
I think there were 2 fumbled exchanges between Barnett/RBs and 2 INTs one of which was a pick 6 I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

I resemble that remark.

In a more serious vein, this is not the Mike Dubious staff. Most fans have a personal 'favorite' for whatever reason - perception, thoughts on potential, what they saw that impressed them on one particular play or even (sadly) prejudice. I didn't think Blake Sims was any great shakes based on what I observed prior to his being the 2014 starter. But I felt confident about him (for the most part) as the year developed. I was the same with what I saw on Coker in 2014 prior this 2015 breakout.

In other words, I don't know enough to have an informed opinion.
One thing you do know which you pointed out in another thread is we cannot have turnovers. We will go with the steady hand in more of the "game manager" role than a gunslinger. We just need a guy that can get it to our play makers.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

The elephant in the room is Jalen Hurts. Has he quite possibly slid past Barnett on the depth chart? Is that possible? And is it possible that if Cooper struggles against USC that its Hurts we see and not Barnett trot out next?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The elephant in the room is Jalen Hurts. Has he quite possibly slid past Barnett on the depth chart? Is that possible? And is it possible that if Cooper struggles against USC that its Hurts we see and not Barnett trot out next?
It's the most likely scenario from what I've gathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

The more I think of all this QB talk the more I think we see Cooper first. It is just not the MO of this Coach to go with an untested freshman (good as he may be). That being said don't be surprised to see JH or BB if things don't get off the ground offensively. Coach has not been in the habit of using two QB's interchangeably either.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

...and the USC defense will need to prepare for the styles of very different QBs.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I'll stick with my original prediction. CB starts the game. If he plays well, they'll leave him in there. If the offense struggles, the second guy will come in. Looks like that's gonna be Hurts. I would be really surprised if we see Barnett just based on everything I've heard.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Cooper will start, it will be a lot of running straight at that questionable USC defensive line. There will be almost all safe passes to mix up the run. There will be a deep play or two to make sure the defense stays honest and stretched. This will be the initial game plan on offense.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I predict the player that has performed the best in fall camp will start as QB. I simply do not know who that will be. I bet Miss Terri knows and probably her hairdresser, but i doubt if either one posts here.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
If her hairdresser knew, we'd know. I think CS wants to play Bateman, but if it someone is plainly better (Hurts) he will have a short leash
I predict the player that has performed the best in fall camp will start as QB. I simply do not know who that will be. I bet Miss Terri knows and probably her hairdresser, but i doubt if either one posts here.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

its no longer a question. the better question is, does Hurts start?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

its no longer a question. the better question is, does Hurts start?
Well based on this, is it better to start Hurts and see how he handles the team in this atmosphere? Let's say that we start Bateman, who is ineffective in moving the team. I can see bringing Hurts off the bench for a spark. However, if for some reason, we are playing behind I am not sure bringing Hurts in at that point is best (obviously depending on the stage of the game). He will have enough pressure on himself coming into the game wanting to do well. Bateman, on the other hand, if he doesnt start, I am not so sure he can bring us from behind either.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Well based on this, is it better to start Hurts and see how he handles the team in this atmosphere? Let's say that we start Bateman, who is ineffective in moving the team. I can see bringing Hurts off the bench for a spark. However, if for some reason, we are playing behind I am not sure bringing Hurts in at that point is best(obviously depending on the stage of the game). He will have enough pressure on himself coming into the game wanting to do well. Bateman, on the other hand, if he doesnt start, I am not so sure he can bring us from behind either.
OK, the obvious cure for that dilemma is never to fall behind in the first place. But suppose we do? Bateman isn't talented enough. Hurts is too young. Barnett has been passed by the other two for a reason.

I share some of your concerns. But what is your suggestion? I also have some ideas. What are yours?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

OK, the obvious cure for that dilemma is never to fall behind in the first place. But suppose we do? Bateman isn't talented enough. Hurts is too young. Barnett has been passed by the other two for a reason.

I share some of your concerns. But what is your suggestion? I also have some ideas. What are yours?
Onside kick :wink:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
My biggest fear is a replay of what happened against Ole Miss last year. Aside from the turnovers, the offense was stagnant until Coker came in. I have no ill will towards Cooper Bateman at all, but it seems like he was just overwhelmed by the moment.

Has he grown since then? I guess we'll likely see next Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

No matter who we start at qb, if it goes downhill quickly I'd say we lean real heavily on what we hope will be a good offense line and we let them take over the game with what sounds like a very talented core of young, but untested running backs.

Win the old fashion way with 3 yards and a cloud of dust if the qbs fall on their face.

Our defense should keep us in it until the offense figures out a way to move the ball (fingers crossed).

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Cooper will start, it will be a lot of running straight at that questionable USC defensive line. There will be almost all safe passes to mix up the run. There will be a deep play or two to make sure the defense stays honest and stretched. This will be the initial game plan on offense.
I tend to agree but, it is Lane Kiffin calling the plays... Maybe a little hitch and go to Ridley for a 70+ yard TD on the first play? If CB starts, USC is gonna expect a safe/conservative start...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I would probably play conservatively and to my strengths which is our defense. Which in my mind means starting Bateman and playing ball control offense. Bateman should be able to do this effectively enough and manage a team to a win. Secondly, while he may not be able to execute all of the offense, he probably has a deeper understanding of all of the offense which I think gives us a little more flexibility.

Now, if the game turns out sort of like Ole Miss last year and bunch of bizarre crap happens and we are behind or just not getting momentum, I think you bring Hurts in at that point for a change of pace. But I am assuming his playbook will be more limited which may make him easier to defend once the defense figures out what his going to do. Until that happens there will be a window for him to be effective in the game unless he just has some Manziel type ability to create on the fly. I just dont think he is the answer for his confidence and future development if we find ourselves, god forbid, down 14+ points. If that is the case, I think you either stick with Bateman to fix it or possibly try Barnett for a series or two.

Of course, you could go the opposite way and start Hurts to set the tone and get some momentum going. If it doesnt work, go back with Bateman or Barnett to finish the game and regroup thereafter for the next 2 games.

PSE_2374

Aug 29, 2016
Trolling first post... TF isn't like other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.