2016 Season QB Thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

And if the traditional run game is solid, it will discourage zone coverages which makes the QB scramble even more of a threat since defenders will not have their eyes on the QB at all times.
And typically easier to pass against, which helps a young QB (and that's all three considering experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

Hurts had three TDs (one was rushing), and two INTs (one was at the end of the half). Wait until he is allowed to break one finger tackles in live action. This guy is going to tear opposing teams up. Look at D Watson.....both have it factor. He was by far the brightest spot again at a scrimmage in terms of Bama QBs.
Most likely going to phase him into action, but you never know!
Can't wait to see it live in Dallas!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

In 2014, Blake Sims only had Amari. In 2016, the QB will have Ridley, OJ, Foster, Stewart, and Deter. There's no doubling one guy with these WRs while also defending the QB scramble. Should be very beneficial if the QB is Jalen.

This is my only hesitation with starting Hurts as a freshman. With the WRs and RBs we have if Hurts has tendency to tuck and run under perceived pressure as a lot freshmen QBs do especially the dual threat types, and he ends up with 10+ carries per game, I think it potentially hurts our offense with the other more experienced weapons we have on offense.

I really believe the coaches would prefer Bateman or Barnett cut down on the mistakes because they will put the ball in the hands that make us more effective. Simply put if I am DC I pressure Hurts into holding the ball and contain his running lanes thereby taking away all our other offensive weapons.

Hurts would be a bigger asset to our offense next year when there is a mass exodus of offensive talent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

What I'd hope for is a guy who is willing to stand in the pocket but has the wheels to burn teams when it isn't open. Basically, what we saw from Watson in January. And from what I saw in the A-Day game, I think Hurts has the opposite problem: sometimes he stays in the pocket a bit too long trying to distribute it to his recievers.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This is my only hesitation with starting Hurts as a freshman. With the WRs and RBs we have if Hurts has tendency to tuck and run under perceived pressure as a lot freshmen QBs do especially the dual threat types, and he ends up with 10+ carries per game, I think it potentially hurts our offense with the other more experienced weapons we have on offense.

I really believe the coaches would prefer Bateman or Barnett cut down on the mistakes because they will put the ball in the hands that make us more effective. Simply put if I am DC I pressure Hurts into holding the ball and contain his running lanes thereby taking away all our other offensive weapons.

Hurts would be a bigger asset to our offense next year when there is a mass exodus of offensive talent.

But Bateman can't throw the deep ball, which is needed in Kiffin's offense. Therefore, we wouldn't utilize the weapons as much as with Hurts or Barnett.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

What's this mass exodus from the offense of which you speak 😊 ? OJ is the only Sr., Cam will go early and maybe Foster if he has a great year and we don't know for sure if he will even start; the same for Deiter, who is a Sr. That's it. Possibly 9 returning starters, at least 8, as things now sit.

More importantly, why do you think Hurts makes more errors than CB and BB ? I have no inside info, nor do I attend practices, but by most indications, JH and CB seem similar in that regard, with both being better than BB. And Hurts doesn't seem to be run happy as opposed to Bateman who seems too reluctant. Hurts appears to be very mature with his decision making and not afraid of the moment. Having said all of that, who knows how any will react when the lights come on. I trust the coaches, but Hurts is exciting to anticipate, though some of that is because of the unknown.

Last edited:

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

In 2014, Blake Sims only had Amari.
DeAndrew White would say hi, but he just finished a game with the 49ers and needs a shower.

The WR talent on that 2014 team doesn't match 2016, but there was much more than just Amari.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

DeAndrew White would say hi, but he just finished a game with the 49ers and needs a shower.

The WR talent on that 2014 team doesn't match 2016, but there was much more than just Amari.
Every defense worried about Coop. In 2016, defenses can't worry about just one guy. There are too many solid WRs to do that.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

No team wants a True Freshman starting at the QB spot in their season opener, especially when you're playing USC, but, Bama has the best set up on offense in college football with soooooo much talent surrounding our QB for starting a TF at the QB spot..

If Hurts wins the starting job at QB for us, it's because he's earned it on the practice field, I'll support having a TF starting at QB, cause Coach Saban has a great track record of playing our best players at every position & all those NC's on display at The Bryant Museum verifies that fact..

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

Obviously there are issues to worry about if Bama goes with Hurts since he is a true freshman. But if he is the best player he should play I'm my opinion. I can't think of a better defense to have while they try to work out things on offense. Honestly we are not going to.need a great offense to win anyway, our d will keep us in games. I see us trying to establish the run and Hurts will be a added danger with the run game ,and opponents are going to have to worry about being prepared for that.When defenses start coming up to prevent the run it will not take much to hit our receivers and I believe Hurts would be more than capable of doing that.
We can win games with a great defense alone, maybe 10+, but we probably can't win a national title. I think the Clemson game is proof of that. We did it in 2011 with A.J. just being serviceable, but we had Trent to lean on.

Based on what I've seen from Bateman, I don't think he is as talented overall as Sims or Coker were, and they both had some limitations in their game. I would be surprised if anyone other than Bateman starts against USC, but I would be even more surprised if he finishes the season as the starter. The problem with that scenario is that it could very well mean a loss or two along the way.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

What's this mass exodus from the offense of which you speak 😊 ? OJ is the only Sr., Cam will go early and maybe Foster if he has a great year and we don't know for sure if he will even start; the same for Deiter, who is a Sr. That's it. Possibly 9 returning starters, at least 8, as things now sit.

More importantly, why do you think Hurts makes more errors than CB and BB ? I have no inside info, nor do I attend practices, but by most indications, JH and CB seem similar in that regard, with both being better than BB. And Hurts doesn't seem to be run happy as opposed to Bateman who seems too reluctant. Hurts appears to be very mature with his decision making and not afraid of the moment. Having said all of that, who knows how any will react when the lights come on. I trust the coaches, but Hurts is exciting to anticipate, though some of that is because of the unknown.
Well I didn't say that Hurts made more mistakes than Bateman or Barnett. Just the opposite actually. But he is a true freshman and isn't getting hit in practice. So there is still a lot to learn about his play and tendencies when the lights do come on.

Bateman has physical limitations at the position that I just don't think can put us in a position to win in the offense we run now. Barnett seems to be pressing and not letting the game come to him. We have a super defense it sounds so the number 1 priority would seem to be minimize turnovers and be effective at spreading the ball around to all our weapons. Hurts is the best option so far based on what we have heard. But the doing too much as coach put it is the risk here.

Cam, Foster, OJ, Stewart, Deiter either graduate or at risk of leaving early. Depending on formation all these guys could be starters.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

The coaches have know for awhile what they have in Bateman. Two springs ago he was practicing with the receivers. That should tell us all we want to know about his ceiling at the QB position even now. Barnett is making the mistakes that get you beat my guess is if he could eliminate these he would be the guy. But Hurts is making mistakes but overall is playing winning football.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

The coaches have know for awhile what they have in Bateman. Two springs ago he was practicing with the receivers. That should tell us all we want to know about his ceiling at the QB position even now. Barnett is making the mistakes that get you beat my guess is if he could eliminate these he would be the guy. But Hurts is making mistakes but overall is playing winning football.

You must've forgot that Blake Sims practiced for an entire year with the running backs..

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

If you listen to CNS post-scrimmage today, he's setting us up for Hurts to potentially be the starter. At this point, he is the most dynamic player we have back there. At the same time, Bateman is less likely to turn the ball over--- even though he has done his fair share this camp.

From reports, Barnett forced the issue too much today- something Ive heard before- and had some turnovers.

Its Hurts or Bateman at this point and I would be surprised if both did not play in the opener.
This was exactly what I thought when he was talking about the age of a player means nothing. I think Hurts will start. We've seen coach Saban make a lot of adjustments and changes in the last couple of years. I think just because he's not started a freshman QB doesn't mean he won't.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If the quarterback race is as close as it seems with 3 guys still in the running, will Coach unleash the dogs with live hits in practice? Sometimes it is the best way to separate the men from the boys. Before anyone says "oh we can't risk injury", the USC defense will be hitting with bad intentions so they'd better get used to it.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

If the quarterback race is as close as it seems with 3 guys still in the running, will Coach unleash the dogs with live hits in practice? Sometimes it is the best way to separate the men from the boys. Before anyone says "oh we can't risk injury", the USC defense will be hitting with bad intentions so they'd better get used to it.
Nope

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

What's this mass exodus from the offense of which you speak  ? OJ is the only Sr., Cam will go early and maybe Foster if he has a great year and we don't know for sure if he will even start; the same for Deiter, who is a Sr. That's it. Possibly 9 returning starters, at least 8, as things now sit.

Guys who could potentially go early if they have great years:

Cam Robinson
Ardarius Stewart (I'd rate this as a good possibility if he continues to develop like he did last year)
Robert Foster (not likely, but possible)
R Pierschbacher (not likely)
Cam Sims (not likely)
Bo Scarbrough (even though a SO, he sat a year so qualifies for the three past HS rule, and with grade and injury history I could see him doing one and done to maximize NFL opportunity)
Bozeman (not likely)
Derek Kief (not likely)

Of course both OJ and Gehrig will graduate.

although with the mo smith crap, with some of these guys who would be seniors or redshirt juniors and have been in and out of the rotations, I could really see them trying to transfer if they are the clear #1 at their position

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Guys who could potentially go early if they have great years:

Cam Robinson
Ardarius Stewart (I'd rate this as a good possibility if he continues to develop like he did last year)
Robert Foster (not likely, but possible)
R Pierschbacher (not likely)
Cam Sims (not likely)
Bo Scarbrough (even though a SO, he sat a year so qualifies for the three past HS rule, and with grade and injury history I could see him doing one and done to maximize NFL opportunity)
Bozeman (not likely)
Derek Kief (not likely)

Of course both OJ and Gehrig will graduate.

although with the mo smith crap, with some of these guys who would be seniors or redshirt juniors and have been in and out of the rotations, I could really see them trying to transfer if they are the clear #1 at their position
Only player on your list we lose to the draft is Cam. Most of those guys aren't even on the radar for leaving early..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.