2016 Season QB Thread

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

Where do yall think David Cornwell is currently in the pecking order and have his past issues been resolved? I don't remember a qb coming in with as much hype, size, and physical ability at the position as he did and so far he hasn't been able to do anything. Is he the best bet to transfer after fall camp? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.
I don't see Cornwell in the top two, maybe not in the top three. Until he impresses Coach Saban and Coach Kiffin he's on the outside looking in...He may transfer after it becomes painfully obvious he's 3 or 4.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

The main issue with Cornwell has always been consistency. Sometimes he looks great, other times he looks lost. It's not that surprising considering he only played a few years of QB in HS. He also had some mechanical issues coming out. I remember a few years ago at the Elite 11, Dilfer said something along the lines of "His best is better than everyone else's, but he just doesn't have it everyday."

I've always thought the one thing DC had going for him was his upside was higher than the other guys, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Arm talent wise, he's probably still got it..but as far as the complete package, I tend to favor Barnett and Hurts.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think we have a chance to win the national title if our QB is Barnett or Hurts. I really like Hurts. I think his running ability makes him about as dangerous as any QB we've ever had, and he can launch the ball too when he's passing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hurts is going to be a star here one day. His pure arm talent is way ahead of what I thought it would be as a true freshman. If he fails it will not be due to lack of ability as a passer. He's got the arm to be an above average pocket passer. It is just a matter of fitting it together with knowledge of the offense and a good eye for reading the defense. His ability to move around will be a nice crutch for him as he develops.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes the incumbent in 2017 if he loses out this Fall but keeps on grinding.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I think we have a chance to win the national title if our QB is Barnett or Hurts. I really like Hurts. I think his running ability makes him about as dangerous as any QB we've ever had, and he can launch the ball too when he's passing.
I totally agree with this Sip. Hurts looked better on A day than anyone. I'm hoping that either Barnett or Hurts wins out.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I totally agree with this Sip. Hurts looked better on A day than anyone. I'm hoping that either Barnett or Hurts wins out.
You probably know this, but I wouldn't use A-Day as any sort of measuring stick. It means very little and has not been a good indicator of the starting QB the last several years. Although I realize it's all most fans get to see in the spring, and it's fun to talk about.

I'm not saying Hurts doesn't have a chance. I was at the game, and frankly, he was the most exciting thing there. However, I saw him throw into coverage quite a few times. I saw at least two throws that should have been picked off. One fell harmlessly to the ground. The other was tipped and caught for a long gain.

I would also like to point out that both Hurts and Barnett were going up against the 2nd team D which is a big drop off from the 1st team. I think Hurts is gonna be very good for us at some point, but I'm tempering my exectations for what he can do this year.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Yesterday, I went back and watched the A day highlights of Barnett and Hurts. I really like both of those guys. Both are very mobile in the pocket, can run if needed, and seem to have very good arms. They are a work in progress, but they may be our best options.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Those are the guys I've pegged as #1 and #2. I haven't been impressed with #3 or #4.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You probably know this, but I wouldn't use A-Day as any sort of measuring stick. It means very little and has not been a good indicator of the starting QB the last several years. Although I realize it's all most fans get to see in the spring, and it's fun to talk about.

I'm not saying Hurts doesn't have a chance. I was at the game, and frankly, he was the most exciting thing there. However, I saw him throw into coverage quite a few times. I saw at least two throws that should have been picked off. One fell harmlessly to the ground. The other was tipped and caught for a long gain.

I would also like to point out that both Hurts and Barnett were going up against the 2nd team D which is a big drop off from the 1st team. I think Hurts is gonna be very good for us at some point, but I'm tempering my exectations for what he can do this year.
Good thoughts.

I think one thing our coaches probably want to do is put a true freshman, early enrollee like Hurts and Barnett (the year before) into a position to gain confidence with their participation in their first Spring game.

There's no disputing Hurts' raw, natural talent, but there's a reason it's very rare for a true freshman to win a starting job at qb anywhere, much less in a CNS led team that demands "ball security" above almost anything else.

Frankly, it's ball security that I think has accelerated Bateman to the top right now, but "ball security" only can take a qb so far if his overall talent won't allow him to distribute the ball downfield.

As for Hurts and Barnett, I think they'll both be in the mix this fall, but I'd be shocked if Hurts can pull off the unthinkable and pass everybody and take the top spot. If he can, he obviously will be very special.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I agree that looking very good at QB in the A-Day Game can be misleading. At the same time looking horrible in the A-Day Game can be an indicator that problems may lie ahead.
Ultimately, the coaches will make the right decision.
I'm for whoever wins the job and will support them 100%.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Good thoughts.

I think one thing our coaches probably want to do is put a true freshman, early enrollee like Hurts and Barnett (the year before) into a position to gain confidence with their participation in their first Spring game.

There's no disputing Hurts' raw, natural talent, but there's a reason it's very rare for a true freshman to win a starting job at qb anywhere, much less in a CNS led team that demands "ball security" above almost anything else.

Frankly, it's ball security that I think has accelerated Bateman to the top right now, but "ball security" only can take a qb so far if his overall talent won't allow him to distribute the ball downfield.

As for Hurts and Barnett, I think they'll both be in the mix this fall, but I'd be shocked if Hurts can pull off the unthinkable and pass everybody and take the top spot. If he can, he obviously will be very special.
Moon, you do realize that Bateman threw an interception in the red zone during the A-Day Game? That's not very good ball security. And his ball security against Ole Miss wasn't exactly a clinic either.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I agree that looking very good at QB in the A-Day Game can be misleading. At the same time looking horrible in the A-Day Game can be an indicator that problems may lie ahead.
Ultimately, the coaches will make the right decision.
I'm for whoever wins the job and will support them 100%.
I think that this is the key, coach Kiffin and coach Saban have proven that they can and will put the QB on the field that they feel will give us the best chance to win. It`s highly possible, I think, that that may not be until after the first game this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Moon, you do realize that Bateman threw an interception in the red zone during the A-Day Game? That's not very good ball security. And his ball security against Ole Miss wasn't exactly a clinic either.
Yep..I remember...it was ugly too!

But he got to the spring game in the presummed top spot by supposedly being prudent with the ball.

Granted, going against our #1 defense can make anybody look bad, but I was not impressed at all with him in the A-Day game. He seemed overwhelmed and hesitant to pull the trigger. I thought it might have been because he was in "ball protection mode" but based on Savages accessment, it makes me wonder if he doesn't have the confidence and physical ability to make the throws he needs to under pressure.

As for Hurts, he really had nothing to lose in the Spring game. As stated before, he's got skills, but I just don't see him starting as a true freshman. If I'm wrong I'll admit it.

I personally think Barnett is sitting in a good spot. About a year and a half into the program, reportedly gaining weight and is a favorite (reportedly) of CLK.

We'll see and I'm ready for fall camp to get underway!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Yep..I remember...it was ugly too!

But he got to the spring game in the presummed top spot by supposedly being prudent with the ball.

Granted, going against our #1 defense can make anybody look bad, but I was not impressed at all with him in the A-Day game. He seemed overwhelmed and hesitant to pull the trigger. I thought it might have been because he was in "ball protection mode" but based on Savages accessment, it makes me wonder if he doesn't have the confidence and physical ability to make the throws he needs to under pressure.

As for Hurts, he really had nothing to lose in the Spring game. As stated before, he's got skills, but I just don't see him starting as a true freshman. If I'm wrong I'll admit it.

I personally think Barnett is sitting in a good spot. About a year and a half into the program, reportedly gaining weight and is a favorite (reportedly) of CLK.

We'll see and I'm ready for fall camp to get underway!!!
I'm ready too!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Watching the first half of the Ole Miss game on ESPNU right now just to re-remember Bateman's performance. He honestly looked better than what is remembered. The gameplan coming into the game was just not very good. We spent most of the half trying to get to edge against a fast defense instead of challenging them with power plays into their gut. The interception was a bad play all-around. Sure, I think it is clear Stewart ran the wrong route but a correct route would have just put him in position to be a DB on the Ole Miss safety. Bateman had a few bad throws but he also had a few precise timing throws that Coker couldn't consistently pull off until the end of the season.

I don't think it is doom and gloom if he wins out assuming he's improved his craft over the off-season. I think for the offense to be highly successful with him, he's gonna have to take the green light on the keeper. He didn't seem ready for that aspect on the surprise start last year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

He didn't seem ready for that aspect on the surprise start last year.
I keep hearing this but what is the basis of that assertion? He was in a fight for the starting job, he played an entire half by himself the previous game, I know there was no starter named. I just don't see where the whole surprise, last minute, benched Coker type stuff comes from. If I tell you for a month you might do something, and then I come to you and say ok time for you to do it, how is that a surprise?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

For someone like myself, getting excited about the upcoming season, and wants to get up to speed on who might start at qb, you can't beat this thread.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

For someone like myself, getting excited about the upcoming season, and wants to get up to speed on who might start at qb, you can't beat this thread.
It helps to pass the time, but I'd prefer to have a couple of years of a returning, capable/dynamic starter as opposed to the last two years of uncertainty at the position.

Somehow, it seems discussion replacing the middle linebacker or safety or center seems less critical than having to replace a qb. It may or may not be the case, but just seems that way to me.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I keep hearing this but what is the basis of that assertion? He was in a fight for the starting job, he played an entire half by himself the previous game, I know there was no starter named. I just don't see where the whole surprise, last minute, benched Coker type stuff comes from. If I tell you for a month you might do something, and then I come to you and say ok time for you to do it, how is that a surprise?
I would think being told right before a game starts in a big time nationally televised SEC game in front of 100,000+ people that you are starting instead of the other guy who started the other games would be quite the surprise and would be quite intimidating. You must walk around with ice water in your veins Krazy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.