2016 Season QB Thread

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
IMO, your offense requires a QB who can hit a WR on deep routes in stride. At some point this season the ability to hit those receivers will win or lose games for Alabama. For that reason, I feel that Barnett is going to have to be the guy if you are going to repeat this year. His arm is already there.

That said, Coker was terrible at hitting receivers running those routes early in the season last year and he figured it out, so what do I know?
True - the long ball is a big part of what kiffen sets up during the game. that said, there are different ways to get the ball down. Rarely has Kiffen required someone to throw on a rope deep down field. It's more often the case that he's set something up that makes the defense bite on a fake, pulling a S up or over, and then a WR makes a move and is pretty much wide open so the QB has to put it downfield with enough air under it that WR can run to it. I think Bateman can do that - much like Blake Sims could. Where he has trouble is the mid-range crossing routes where he does need to put it on a rope to get it into a gap. Either that will have to have improved, of Kiffen will have to game-plan around it, and he's shown he can gameplan to what his QB is capable of doing.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Aaron Suttles was just on the Cublic show here in Huntsville. He made the troubling statement that he didn't see Alabama playing championship football with either of the 2 QB's on the depth chart at this point based on what he has seen.

Don't flame me - just posting what I heard him say :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Aaron Suttles was just on the Cublic show here in Huntsville. He made the troubling statement that he didn't see Alabama playing championship football with either of the 2 QB's on the depth chart at this point based on what he has seen.

The problem with that is he has seen very little. And even if he has seen all of summer and fall camp, he would have still only seen them going up against Alabama's defense with scripted plays (that Alabama's defense is very familiar with).

What the fans and media have seen about this means almost nothing in the grand scheme. Everything changes when they step out on the field in a real game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What makes you think that? Have you seen it?
He can throw the ball at least 60 yards down field fairly accurately. That can be seen on high school film. His problems to this point have been timidity and decision-making, not an inability to chunk the ball far or fast enough. That can be seen on film since he's been at Alabama. Arm strength is adequate and will not be the deciding factor. He won't need Drew Brees accuracy in Alabama's offense. He won't need John Elway arm strength. He simply needs to make good decisions and play confidently within his abilities. If he does, he will start and win. If not, someone else will have to step up.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Thanks for the info. Not shooting the messenger but I agree with what TideEngineer08 has to say. As we've recently experienced, sources aren't seeing what the coaches are seeing. In fact, I feel like Saban has been more positive when talking about this years QB's abilities than he has been the last few years. That's why I've felt ok to spitball all of this because I trust CNS and it's really sounded like he likes what he has in all 3 guys.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for the info. Not shooting the messenger but I agree with what TideEngineer08 has to say. As we've recently experienced, sources aren't seeing what the coaches are seeing. In fact, I feel like Saban has been more positive when talking about this years QB's abilities than he has been the last few years. That's why I've felt ok to spitball all of this because I trust CNS and it's really sounded like he likes what he has in all 3 guys.
I remember last year Herbstreit said he was worried about Bama's QB situation after watching some practices. We all know how that turned out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

No flame at you...but this is exactly what got the base stirred up about Hurts...limited, maybe sometimes flawed info.

The majority of what an observer sees in the media or even REC practices is staged/planned to not give too much info away. Even the scrimmages when the REC members are there don't always paint the proper picture. An earlier post talked about this in an excellent way.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed and it also probably has something to do with the confidence he has in CLK, based on the last two years of how he got the most out of Sims and Coker.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He can throw the ball at least 60 yards down field fairly accurately. That can be seen on high school film. His problems to this point have been timidity and decision-making, not an inability to chunk the ball far or fast enough. That can be seen on film since he's been at Alabama. Arm strength is adequate and will not be the deciding factor. He won't need Drew Brees accuracy in Alabama's offense. He won't need John Elway arm strength. He simply needs to make good decisions and play confidently within his abilities. If he does, he will start and win. If not, someone else will have to step up.
Whether his OM interception was his fault or Ardarius' fault for breaking off the route, that pass was anything but pretty. It wobbled like it was on the dance floor for a high school homecoming dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Agreed and it also probably has something to do with the confidence he has in CLK, based on the last two years of how he got the most out of Sims and Coker.
Truth. I don't really think Coker was playing "Championship football" until later in the season, and he was developed well by the staff - because we have the best staff in college football. I will say, even though this is the QB thread, it's more important for an Alabama team to be playing "championship football" on defense and running the ball effectively. Those are broad strokes - but an isolated statement about the QB's affecting the level of overall play so drastically as to singlehandedly remove Bama from contention seems a little far fetched to me - just a feeling. I respect Suttles though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Whether his OM interception was his fault or Ardarius' fault for breaking off the route, that pass was anything but pretty. It wobbled like it was on the dance floor for a high school homecoming dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the talk about being able to throw the ball 60 yards doesn't mean much. Shoot, if I can take 3 or 4 steps forward momentum I can throw a football that far.

Now, it might now be that accurate, it might not have the best trajectory but it might go that far.

But put me in a collapsing pocket with a 300 pound defensive lineman closing in for a shot and I probably can't throw the ball 30 yards.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

So what is Suttles saying? Is he saying that the coaching staff has screwed up and should have picked Hurts or that we should forget about a championship this year as we don't have a quarterback that can win one?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I also saw a tweet or two this morning referencing how apparently there are some isolated criticisms toward CNS that not choosing Hurts was because of "race."

Just really stupid logic for 10,000 reasons.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

OMG...woe is us, we're doomed, doomed I tell you....quick, whats the barns ticket office number?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.