2016 Season QB Thread

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I feel pretty certain that if the coaches felt that he gave us the best chance to win that he would be playing. I mean, seriously, I doubt the coaches get together and say that even though Hurts gives us the best chance to win that they are going to hold him back. He may have the most talent, and that is not a given but merely speculation around here, but that doesn't mean that he is ready for big boy college football just yet. However, he may play in the USC game and even be starting before the year is out. We just don't know and will have to watch how things play out. We are Bama, though, and since Saban has returned us to the top of the mountain, we don't play for future seasons. We try to win championships each and every year, so I'm pretty sure whoever is taking snaps is the guy who gives us the best chance to win that night.
That is what I am thinking. We may be good but if CNS is sandbagging one year for the future, he has much bigger brass ones than most.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So you would play a guy who doesn't have a grasp of the offense over someone who does? There is such a thing as playing a guy too soon. Confidence can be fragile with young quarterbacks.
It's been asked numerous times in this thread - do you go with the guy that knows the playbook but can only adequately execute or go with the guy who will do very well with the few plays he does know?

What good is it if a guy knows the playbook but can't make the plays? I'm not saying that's the case here. Just pointing it out since you asked "So you would play a guy who doesn't have a grasp of the offense over someone who does?"

Again, I don't believe Saban ruled Hurts out with his comments today. I took them to mean he's in play as the season goes. Others have indicated they took the word "future" to mean 2017 and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I agree, but by many accounts (all 2nd hand as is the only way) Jalen Hurts was being made to be a monumental set of circumstances. I think the phrase "lying to themselves" is harsh and implies some sort of delusion - which I don't believe is fair when people are simply taking the information being disseminated to them by other sources and critiquing it. Most here seemed to believe that Bateman would go out first and then, if he was as good as advertised, Hurts would get his shot. I don't think considering that possibility was outrageous given the media trends.
That's why I put it in quotes. I couldn't quite get the right phrase. Maybe "wishful thinking" is better.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
I honestly think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised at how well Blake Barnett plays against USC. At least that's what I'm hoping!😜😎

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's been asked numerous times in this thread - do you go with the guy that knows the playbook but can only adequately execute or go with the guy who will do very well with the few plays he does know?

What good is it if a guy knows the playbook but can't make the plays? I'm not saying that's the case here. Just pointing it out since you asked "So you would play a guy who doesn't have a grasp of the offense over someone who does?"

Again, I don't believe Saban ruled Hurts out with his comments today. I took them to mean he's in play as the season goes. Others have indicated they took the word "future" to mean 2017 and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's more realistic and logical explanation. One thing that bothers me about this is that everyone keeps saying Tua or Hurts will transfer and I'm like what's the reason to do that?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The problem is the "information" being distributed here and everywhere else. It's not that no one has legit contacts, including people who actually attend practices, the problem is that no one besides the HC and SOME on his staff really know what's going on. No matter how things look on the surface, even to the trained eye, you have to know how the staff has set things up and what they are looking for. No observer knows that, including real experts like observing HCs, much less "railbirds".

I used to drive down several times a year to preseason practices but stopped when I realized that I could not genuinely assess what was going on. Not only me, an amateur, but football coaches, who's honesty and humility I appreciated, admitted that they did not really know what was happening. Yes, even I could see who was good in individual drills and even I could see athletic ability, but to put it all together, even coaches could not do it.

Sure it's fun and mostly harmless to speculate about the QB, but what the last few years should have made clear to all is that legit "insiders", railbirds and certainly message board posters should just listen to CNS, who has not led astray yet.
GREAT POST!!! I especially bolded one sentence that I really think most of us don't really think about. Even if a knowledgeable fan, like yourself, or even a coach could watch all the practices and scrimmages they can't always know what the coaches are setting up and what they are looking for. Case in point, we heard about Blake Barnett throwing multiple picks in the scrimmages. Based on CNS comments, it sounds like Barnett has the most ability to utilize the talent we have at wide receiver. So, in these scrimmages, it is entirely possible they were asking him to make more difficult throws than either Bateman or Hurts and some of them may have resulted in INTs because they were more difficult throws to make...much more so than possibly what you'd ask someone with lesser arm talent (Bateman) or a true freshman (Hurts) to even attempt during the same scrimmage. So measuring how effective the qbs have and comparing how many INTs a guy has vs. another may not be comparing apples to apples. The average onlooker might not see that, but the coaches would certainly know this from first hand knowledge and then film review.

Because ... you have a .300 magnum bullet? I can buy that Hurts has a learning curve and will only improve with some sideline time but if it turns out he is the best chance to win, and it were my choice, he would be playing.
The way I'd look at it right now is: CNS feels that playing Hurts in this game might result in losing this game, but he may also believe that playing him in game 3, 4 or 5 might result in a win.

I honestly think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised at how well Blake Barnett plays against USC. At least that's what I'm hoping!����
Was texting with one of our mods on here today and I told him that I really wonder if BB might just be a "gamer" who will really play well in the spotlight. IDK, but I hope we get to find out on Saturday!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I have supreme confidence no matter who lines up under C against USC, because of one fact, all 3 of our QB's has been practicing against the best D in college football & practicing against our D will have them all ready for anything USC's D comes at us with..

I honestly think that's why we've had so much success during The Saban Era with 1st yr starters at QB, to be the best, you have to play the best & our Boy's does just that at ever practice at Bama under Coach Saban..Enjoy the ride we're on cause it's about to kick into another NC run..Watch & see..

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I support whoever trots out as QB. And I'd like nothing more than to see Cooper hit a long pass down the field to Calvin.. I think it'd do wonders for his confidence.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I honestly think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised at how well Blake Barnett plays against USC. At least that's what I'm hoping!
I had my doubts about Coker, but I was certainly wrong about him. Blake Barnett has the talent. He just needs to play smart and take what the defense gives him. He has a very good OL, talented RBs and the best receivers in the country.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I support whoever trots out as QB. And I'd like nothing more than to see Cooper hit a long pass down the field to Calvin.. I think it'd do wonders for his confidence.
We will probably see Bateman and Barnett. If one gets hot then that will be the guy they go with. Bateman has worked hard and does have some wheels. I just think Barnett definitely has the better arm.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well, this move did catch me off guard a bit. If its possible to be surprised and not surprised at the same time, that's me. I sort of bought in the possibility of Hurts being the second option during the game thinking that Barnett was playing himself out of contention with scrimmage turnovers. Obviously there was more to the evaluation of those situations.

But I am not surprised the more experienced players are going to start and play. I have no doubt once the ball is snapped that Hurts is the best QB we have. And that's sort of how I interpret coach's comments regarding his play. The differentiator here though is the knowledge of the playbook to get guys lined up correctly, checking to the right play once the defense adjusts, and starting the play at the right time. I can see where both Bateman and Barnett would have the advantage over Hurts in the pre-snap department. If Hurts catches up in this department over the course of the season he could very well overtake the others to become the starter. But for now, he just hasnt had enough time in the system to have a solid command of the pre-snap management just yet. I am good with the plan.

careeves

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2007
Huntsville
I honestly think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised at how well Blake Barnett plays against USC. At least that's what I'm hoping!😜😎
I said it a few weeks ago, Blake Barnett will be our qb this year. Saturday he will prove he is our guy if he is given a shot. Do some of you not realize Blake is going up against probably the best defense in CFB, and the best secondary Alabama has had in years in practice everyday. Of course he is going to throw a few picks in practice, I'm sure the defense knows the plays our offense is running and can jump a few routes causing an interception. Given his arm strength, mobility, and our wide receivers + OJ Howard this could be the best offense Alabama has ever had!!! I am very excited to see what he can do.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, your offense requires a QB who can hit a WR on deep routes in stride. At some point this season the ability to hit those receivers will win or lose games for Alabama. For that reason, I feel that Barnett is going to have to be the guy if you are going to repeat this year. His arm is already there.

That said, Coker was terrible at hitting receivers running those routes early in the season last year and he figured it out, so what do I know?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
At this point, I'd love to see Bateman come out and OWN the QB position as everyone here seems to have written him off. He can do it.

I think deep down everybody wants him to own it as that means the younger guys get to redshirt and we're better off that way, but I think everyone is getting consumed with hoping one of the younger QB's are like A.J. and will start for more than one year for us. I'd love nothing more than to see Bateman come out on fire and stay that way all year. That way Hurts or Barnett can get the mop up duty and learn for next year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
That's more realistic and logical explanation. One thing that bothers me about this is that everyone keeps saying Tua or Hurts will transfer and I'm like what's the reason to do that?
I couldn't answer that, BUT, we have have seen this offseason that folks with excellent shots at playing will transfer for no apparent rhyme or reason. Always lots of factors involved.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This will be an interesting year. Do we have an All American at QB and just don't know it? I'm not sure...if we did it seems like that person would have stepped forward before now. If players don't come or transfer because they are afraid of playing time, then we don't want them. One aspect of a leader is that they will fight for what they want. GMac, A. J., Sims and Coker all did it...I hope we see it again this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.