2016 Season QB Thread

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: 2016 Season QB Thread (Moved QB Posts from Practice Thread)

Is to safe to say there won't be any possible QB transfers until the spring? Anyone know the deadline for players to transfer before the fall? Seems like it would be soon with fall camp starting next week..
July 31 is the transfer deadline afaik.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

I thought Hurts played exceptionally well during this year's A Day. That said...

I look back at the 2015 Elite 11 competition where he wasn't ranked in the top 5 by any of the analysts. BB won it the year before. I think Tua will likely win it this year. So, Hurts is possibly sandwiched by two Elite 11 winners. I am not casting dispersions on his talent, because it is obviously there. What I do think is that the Elite 11 deal is an accuracy showcase. I will be very interested to see how it all shakes out if Tua can win this year.
BB? Now there's a reference only the truest of fans would recognize -- had to plunge deep into the historical record to find him. We had written him off way back in 2015/early 2016 after he didn't emerge as an all-SEC candidate and American hero as a freshman and we signed a new highly touted QB.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Would be pretty shocked if any of the QBs transferred now. Even if a guy isn't really in contention, Saban and Kiffin are going to tell him he is just for depth purposes during the season.

Something people should remember when discussing Hurts and/or Barnett. Lane can work with them during the summer now. Coaches have up to 8 hours a week with players; two of those can be actually on the field.
Didn't know that. Good info.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

That is a boon to freshman contributions and considering the talent we bring in yearly, it is a good change for us. As pointed out that is basically 6 hours of non-field related contact...so there is a lot of opportunity for hands-on film study and playbook study.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone know if the QBs are using any virtual reality training that might integrate film study with physical practice? I've seen it around but don't know how widespread that is yet.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

True, elite 11 is an accuracy showdown. There isn't as much on reading a defense and making sure you're only making positive plays etc that Saban will put a high focus on.

Yeah. From what I've seen they just man up.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

BB? Now there's a reference only the truest of fans would recognize -- had to plunge deep into the historical record to find him. We had written him off way back in 2015/early 2016 after he didn't emerge as an all-SEC candidate and American hero as a freshman and we signed a new highly touted QB.

If he wins the starting job and marries that surfer lady I think the legacy is pretty well cemented.:cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If he wins the starting job and marries that surfer lady I think the legacy is pretty well cemented.:cool2:
AJM wrote the script. Of course, AJ got the NCs first and the girl later, but we can only hope BB can walk away from Bama with 3 rings like AJ.

He's got one already like AJ did as a back up. Hope he can get a couple more as a starter!!!

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

AJM wrote the script. Of course, AJ got the NCs first and the girl later, but we can only hope BB can walk away from Bama with 3 rings like AJ.

He's got one already like AJ did as a back up. Hope he can get a couple more as a starter!!!
He gets rings, she gets a ring, everybody gets rings!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Does anyone know if the QBs are using any virtual reality training that might integrate film study with physical practice? I've seen it around but don't know how widespread that is yet.
I saw a program on the SEC Network about it. I believe they said only a few NFL teams and Arkansas are using it. Of course, I don't know how old that program was. I can see how it would certainly help the younger players.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

In 1964 Alabama had on campus Joe Namath, Steve Sloan, and Ken Stabler. Pretty talented group. If these guys turn out that good I'll be happy.
In 1964 Namath was a senior, Sloan a junior, and Stabler a freshman. As freshmen were not eligible for varsity competition under NCAA rules of that era, in all fairness you can't really should not include him in the list since he was not eligible to play.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

In 1964 Namath was a senior, Sloan a junior, and Stabler a freshman. As freshmen were not eligible for varsity competition under NCAA rules of that era, in all fairness you can't really should not include him in the list since he was not eligible to play.
Was he on campus or not? OK then.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Can we wait until he actually plays in a game before we crown Hurts the next Joe Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best tackler I've ever seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I too have been guilty about getting excited about a true freshman. I even thought there was an outside chance BB might win the job last year. Seems like there were "rumors" of that in fall camp when Jake was struggling.

I remember the hype when Phillip Sims was a true freshman and now there's Hurts and next year I figure some of the same things will be said about the Hawaii kid.

If Hurts runs out and starts under center at Jerry World I'll be surprised and I'll jump on the bandwagon, but until we hear he's doing something against the 1's in a scrimmage I think all this is premature.

As camp begins I expect to hear it's:

1: Bateman
2a: Barnett
2b. Cornwell
3. Hurts

I think by the end of camp you can reverse the first two and Barnett will run out on Sept. 3 to take the first snap.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One thing to remember about BB last year - he had a medical issue that put him in the hospital during the season. While he may have never gotten to play, that did nothing to help his chances.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I too have been guilty about getting excited about a true freshman. I even thought there was an outside chance BB might win the job last year. Seems like there were "rumors" of that in fall camp when Jake was struggling.

I remember the hype when Phillip Sims was a true freshman and now there's Hurts and next year I figure some of the same things will be said about the Hawaii kid.

If Hurts runs out and starts under center at Jerry World I'll be surprised and I'll jump on the bandwagon, but until we hear he's doing something against the 1's in a scrimmage I think all this is premature.

As camp begins I expect to hear it's:

1: Bateman
2a: Barnett
2b. Cornwell
3. Hurts

I think by the end of camp you can reverse the first two and Barnett will run out on Sept. 3 to take the first snap.
I dont think it can be understated how important fall camp will in solidifying the starting QB but the #2 as well. Given the talent we have at WR and the inexperience we have at RB, the starter will be the one who has the ability to stretch the field the best with the fewer mistakes and turnovers. Stretching the field will help the inexperienced RBs while putting the ball in the hands of the strength of our offense.

That being said, I think the real battle for starter is between Bateman, Cornwell, and Barnett with the latter two supposedly have the better ability to stretch the field. I think there will be a package of plays for Hurts regardless who is the starter.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

I'm thinking the dark horse candidate is Cornwell. Sounds like he has the biggest arm to go deep. I know its not the mot celebrated choice but he was in the running at some point last year.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

Na, it's not going to be Cornwell, barring a miracle. He just doesn't look comfortable back there, almost like Coker at the beginning, and you saw how that ended up! I think kiffen could roll with any of the three vets and do extremely well in the end. All three are better than what he has had before at this point in the season, and you saw how that ended up.

So let's close this thread, as that's the bottom line!

RTR!!!! See ya'll in Dallas

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think the one thing people have to be careful about is letting how they viewed a player previously impact how they evaluate the current situation. Of course how much does that matter in the end? Not much, but it still could lead one astray.

Some people seem to be using hyperbole in overstating how others view Hurts. I have seen some people claim Hurts will start, but I haven't seen any Heisman hype, I haven't seen any leave in three years for the NFL hype, I'm not seeing the Auburn QB last year hype. I just see people saying he could start.

I can't recall the Sims true freshman hype, I was big on his talent (so was an NFL team, they gave him a shot even though he was basically a bust in college), but I don't think there was ever even an inkling of a chance that he would start over GMac. I also spent time shooting down the notion that either Blake Barnett or David Cornwell would start as true freshman. They just weren't ready.

The thing is that physically Hurts is clearly ahead of where Phillip, Cornwell, and Barnett were as true freshman. I think this is where going to a bunch of A-Day games comes in handy. A-Day never tells you what a guy can't do (in other words you can overlook a bad performance at QB), but it sometimes tells you what a guy can do. Hurts might have looked the best I've seen any QB look at A-Day just from a raw talent standpoint. A lot of that centered around his elusiveness, but we're talking about a guy who was so hard to tackle that the defense had trouble just touching him down. He was literally dodging touches. Before that game I said he had no chance of starting, after the game? Yeah, he has a chance.

Now, how does that all sort itself out in the fall? I think from a talent standpoint Blake Barnett and Jalen Hurts have the advantage. However, they clearly are less experienced. That usually is the determining factor, but it isn't always the determining factor. True freshman AJ passed Star Jackson on the depth chart. Alec Morris was passed on the depth chart a few times by less experienced quarterbacks. So yes, the smart money is always going to be on the most experienced guy, but as your depth chart illustrates, there's more to it than that. As a redshirt freshman Phillip Sims had a shot at the starting job, Bateman and Coker respectively had shots at the starting jobs as well. If one of these younger guys proves more capable, they'll end up starting...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.