Lynn swann named USC AD

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wasn't he in the broadcasting booth with Keith Jackson? I always loved KJ calling an Alabama game.
.Another couple of good things is that he was a Marine and was born in Georgia. Imo, Keith taught other national broadcasters how to properly say "Alabama" "Bama" The Tide" after a touchdown. I know Musburger caught on to it.

USC is doing everything to help probation kill your team. In retrospect the Kiffin firing looks pretty stupid imo. Haden was a joke of an AD.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My prediction. Auburn hires Lane Kiffin for 2017. You heard it here first.
That would be toxic for the Bama/Barn relationship...not that the Barn cares.

Won't say never about nothing anymore, but I'd hope if/when CLK leaves he will go some place we can at least hope for his success except for when/if we play him. Kinda like the way we feel about Coach Mac at Florida.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I always loved KJ calling an Alabama game.
He was about the best there was until he made the mistake of un-retiring. By the 2004 Rose Bowl broadcast, he had evolved into a pompous, nearly unrecognizable SoCal homer (proclaiming the game he was about to describe the "human" championship, as opposed to the LSU-OU "computer" championship Brent Musberger was forced to call). When KJ finally hung it up after the 2006 Texas-SC game, he had long since lost me and, to my mind, tarnished a sizable portion of his legacy...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That would be toxic for the Bama/Barn relationship...not that the Barn cares.

Won't say never about nothing anymore, but I'd hope if/when CLK leaves he will go some place we can at least hope for his success except for when/if we play him. Kinda like the way we feel about Coach Mac at Florida.
I agree. I just feel that Lane is more Dye than he is McEwain. I think the jobs at Auburn aTm and MSU(Mullen moving up) could come open with Kiffin in the mix, not LSU though. We might see what happened in the east, happen in the west next year, and if the Saban tree holds true, one of those will snag him. Auburn could throw a lot of money at him. Just my speculation if I was Auburn....I would hire him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree. I just feel that Lane is more Dye than he is McEwain. I think the jobs at Auburn aTm and MSU(Mullen moving up) could come open with Kiffin in the mix, not LSU though. We might see what happened in the east, happen in the west next year, and if the Saban tree holds true, one of those will snag him. Auburn could throw a lot of money at him. Just my speculation if I was Auburn....I would hire him.
Auburn wouldn't do it. Auburn tries to present itself as a classy bunch behind a real swell guy, even though they clearly aren't. Kiffin has somethings that will take that aura away from them. Also Kiffin isn't going to play "yes man" to a weenie like jay Jacobs or a bunch of crusty old men.

I think they would go after someone in the family or someone like Texas tech's coach.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Auburn wouldn't do it. Auburn tries to present itself as a classy bunch behind a real swell guy, even though they clearly aren't. Kiffin has somethings that will take that aura away from them. Also Kiffin isn't going to play "yes man" to a weenie like jay Jacobs or a bunch of crusty old men.

I think they would go after someone in the family or someone like Texas tech's coach.
Maybe they can get hire another up and coming high school coach

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I am not one whit convinced that Kiffin has matured to the point he can handle all the duties of a Top 20 CFB program. That's "program" on a historical basis, not necessarily current ranking.

He's a great OC, playcaller, developer of QBs, all that. But the HC job is so much more than Xs and Os. Without an Alpha-Dog thumb mashing on his head, which mashing is done by somebody who needs Kiffin way less than Kiffin needs the Alpha-Dog, I think he reverts to his spoiled, arrogant, smartass nature. Which might play in the very short term, but wears real thin real quick.

Let the boogs hire him. They'll only repeat their quadriennal cycle of crow-doubt-cry-fire-repeat.

Last edited:

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Yesterday I heard Lynn Swann being interviewed on one of the XM sports shows. The Alabama game in Dallas came up, of course. He talked about being a freshman (not yet eligible) on the 1970 USC team that played Alabama in Birmingham, winning 42-21. Swann was from Tennessee, but was not offered anything by any SEC school.

Apparently, Sam Cunningham will be honored in some way at the game in Dallas. I cringed a bit at hearing that, thinking it will be yet another chance for the national media to remind the nation what a bunch of racists those rednecks in Alabama are ... uh, were. I was impressed by Swann then recalling that Coach Bryant had invited Sam Cunningham to the locker room after the game; Swann added that every black player in the SEC owes a debt of gratitude to Cunningham, and to Coach Bryant. The usual take from critics is that Bryant was late to the game and didn't do enough for integration, so I found his point view from one who was there and lived it interesting. He handled it very gracefully it seems like it will be a positive thing, not a bitter retelling of sad times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.