Link: NCAA Says Lattimore Can’t Work for USCe Football

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Marcus Lattimore will forever be an ambassador for South Carolina football, but it won’t be as an official part of the program.

The NCAA has stated that Lattimore cannot join Will Muschamp’s staff at USC due to Lattimore’s status as a former player and his presence through football camps and foundation. The NCAA considers it an unfair recruiting advantage.

Lattimore confirmed the news to The State on Friday.

Lattimore, who will graduate from USC next month, was never going to coach but was going to speak to the team about life off the field and beyond the game, such as he does through The Marcus Lattimore Foundation. Muschamp contacted Lattimore about some kind of position with the team before he was ever hired, wanting the Gamecocks’ career leader in touchdowns around in some capacity.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Far be it for me to defend the NCAA, but there just has to be something more to this. Former players are all over every football program in the nation in some capacity. Including former player graduate assistants who are also students. I hesitate to believe the NCAA isn't that dumb. They usually prove they are. However I think we are not hearing something relevant. Problem with that last statement is that I can't imagine what it would be.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Far be it for me to defend the NCAA, but there just has to be something more to this. Former players are all over every football program in the nation in some capacity. Including former player graduate assistants who are also students. I hesitate to believe the NCAA isn't that dumb. They usually prove they are. However I think we are not hearing something relevant. Problem with that last statement is that I can't imagine what it would be.
He's got a foundation that runs camps and such and isn't willing to give that up. Makes more sense if that's the case.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't know what he does at his camps, but just being there wearing a Carolina shirt would be the best way to "recruit" if he wanted to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know what he does at his camps, but just being there wearing a Carolina shirt would be the best way to "recruit" if he wanted to.
To me, that is what makes this absurd. He is already acting as a booster and actively recruiting for the Gamecocks. Not sure how he could be any more a Gamecock than he is now.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
And that's OK. He simply can't be officially associated with the school. Think of it in the context of the satellite camp ruling. Say Auburn wanted to go out and hire a guy that runs a bunch of camps for some off the field "life coordinator" position or some such. He'd have a direct association with Auburn, be paid by Auburn, and have the same limitations of other coaches except he'd have unlimited evaluation and contact with players at his camps. That's a nice advantage for us and a loophole every team would drive a truck through.

My question on the ruling was, why mention the "former player" thing at all?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And that's OK. He simply can't be officially associated with the school. Think of it in the context of the satellite camp ruling. Say Auburn wanted to go out and hire a guy that runs a bunch of camps for some off the field "life coordinator" position or some such. He'd have a direct association with Auburn, be paid by Auburn, and have the same limitations of other coaches except he'd have unlimited evaluation and contact with players at his camps. That's a nice advantage for us and a loophole every team would drive a truck through.
He is already doing all of the things that the NCAA claims to avoid with this ruling, and is not limited from continuing to do so. He is still a Gamecock in every way. This type of ruling would only make sense if the relationship was not already forged, and his "services" were for hire on the open market. And maybe this ruling is meant to stop that from occurring elsewhere, but it will change nothing here.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It seems odd to me that both our Heisman Trophy winners were at our game. They don't have a foundation :conf2: I would call $$$ salary and a Professional NFL team more than a foundation.

NCAA should be ENFORCING the rules already on the books instead of this silly stuff. You know, they look the other way for N Carolina massive cheating scandal and etc., but throw the book at Penn State who was not cheating. Yes, the NCAA has all it ducks in a row. :rolleyes:

PS: Please don't accuse me of taking sides with perverts. Just pointing out the difference in NCAA enforcement concerning rules.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If Lattimore wants to be on the staff, he's a football coach. If he stays a glorified booster he can recruit in all kinds of fun and imaginary ways, even during dead periods. But you cannot and should not do both.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
It seems odd to me that both our Heisman Trophy winners were at our game. They don't have a foundation :conf2: I would call $$$ salary and a Professional NFL team more than a foundation.

NCAA should be ENFORCING the rules already on the books instead of this silly stuff. You know, they look the other way for N Carolina massive cheating scandal and etc., but throw the book at Penn State who was not cheating. Yes, the NCAA has all it ducks in a row. :rolleyes:

PS: Please don't accuse me of taking sides with perverts. Just pointing out the difference in NCAA enforcement concerning rules.
I thought Mark Ingram did have a foundation? Regardless, they aren't EMPLOYED by our school so that appears to be what matters to the ridiculous NCAA. They need to worry about what is going on down at Ole Miss!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.