Link: 1A opponent prospects to replace 1AA on schedule?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
The issue is that there are cupcakes in a lot of other conferences. You think the Big 10 proves anything when their teams beat Maryland for example? What this means though in the long run is the SEC has to has to soften their out of conference schedule to keep the gap from being even wider. Like I said Alabama SoS #1, Ohio State 60. There's nothing at all wrong with the Alabama product.
OK, so I will put you down for, bring on the next North Texas. What we feel about this issue has to do with each ones viewing pleasure. I don't fear an upgrade in competition. I fear an uneven playing field. As far as the middle or lower teams in these major conferences, it's oh so doable, because it's oh so easy to look back at once was. We use to fill our schedule with nothing but major opponents and plenty of home and home. The 1979 schedule for our national champion Bama team was a sight to behold and shows just how far teams have maneuvered away from the past norm. Everyone can decide how they want to spend their Bama dollar. I personally think getting back to the old grown up schedule creates a lot more interest in our game and team in the long run, than how many folks show up for practice in the spring.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Minor league teams? I assume you are referring to what I refer to as 1AA. FCS if you insist. What makes you think that any such mandate is in the works? There is a better chance that all 1A (FBS) schools be required to play a 1AA (FCS) than there is the other way around! Read post #4 in this thread for the history of this issue. They are not going back to limited scheduling of 1AA, much less completely restricting one half of the FBS segment.
You mean we weren't having a hypothetical conversation? Honest, I've not spoken with the ncaa, just know what i like.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
OK, so I will put you down for, bring on the next North Texas.
Absolutely, I care about championships, not exciting games. I mean the Shula era had plenty of exciting games, and I look upon it as a miserable period.

I don't fear an upgrade in competition. I fear an uneven playing field.
Well, first let's be clear. Alabama could play North Texas three times in a row and the playing field would still be uneven, in favor of other teams. Secondly, as I stated earlier, Alabama already played the #1 schedule, there's no point to upgrading and... I do have to point out that you don't play the games. So you don't have to worry about recovering from minor injuries after a tough game or getting mentally focused for the 15th game of the year. You and I don't have to go through what the players go through. And this connects to something else you said.

The 1979 schedule for our national champion Bama team was a sight to behold and shows just how far teams have maneuvered away from the past norm. Everyone can decide how they want to spend their Bama dollar. I personally think getting back to the old grown up schedule creates a lot more interest in our game and team in the long run, than how many folks show up for practice in the spring.
In 1979 Alabama played 12 games. One of those games was against Wichita State. In 2015 Alabama played 15 games. Out of the 15 teams they played, I believe two were not bowl eligible (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't end there though. In 1979 Alabama played 3 teams ranked at the time. In 2015 Alabama played 9 teams ranked at the time. Some of that information could need updating or what not, but you get the idea.

Go look at it for yourself, there's no question at all that the 2015 schedule was tougher. Virginia Tech was a cupcake playing a cupcake schedule for example. Vanderbilt was 1-10. You want the kicker? The 1979 football team had a scholarship limit of 95! So what they did that year, was play less games, against easier competition, with more players, and yet you seem to be holding that up as an example of how things should be. I understand your viewpoint but I'm not sure you are digging deep enough. There are physical limitations to what a football player is capable of doing and Alabama is already doing things that would be the undoing of a lot of other contenders.

Edit: To me the context is a bit like this. Some teams already have a cakewalk to the playoff, and we're talking about it like: "I'm not sure there are enough landmines in Alabama's path, we need more landmines!". I just don't get that.

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Absolutely, I care about championships, not exciting games. I mean the Shula era had plenty of exciting games, and I look upon it as a miserable period.
Well, first let's be clear. Alabama could play North Texas three times in a row and the playing field would still be uneven, in favor of other teams. Secondly, as I stated earlier, Alabama already played the #1 schedule, there's no point to upgrading and... I do have to point out that you don't play the games. So you don't have to worry about recovering from minor injuries after a tough game or getting mentally focused for the 15th game of the year. You and I don't have to go through what the players go through. And this connects to something else you said.
In 1979 Alabama played 12 games. One of those games was against Wichita State. In 2015 Alabama played 15 games. Out of the 15 teams they played, I believe two were not bowl eligible (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't end there though. In 1979 Alabama played 3 teams ranked at the time. In 2015 Alabama played 9 teams ranked at the time. Some of that information could need updating or what not, but you get the idea.
Go look at it for yourself, there's no question at all that the 2015 schedule was tougher. Virginia Tech was a cupcake playing a cupcake schedule for example. Vanderbilt was 1-10. You want the kicker? The 1979 football team had a scholarship limit of 95! So what they did that year, was play less games, against easier competition, with more players, and yet you seem to be holding that up as an example of how things should be. I understand your viewpoint but I'm not sure you are digging deep enough. There are physical limitations to what a football player is capable of doing and Alabama is already doing things that would be the undoing of a lot of other contenders.
Edit: To me the context is a bit like this. Some teams already have a cakewalk to the playoff, and we're talking about it like: "I'm not sure there are enough landmines in Alabama's path, we need more landmines!". I just don't get that.
Let me repeat, how you or anyone else want to spend your Bama dollar is subjective at best. Not my business. Personally, I'm not interested at being at the stadium that day and that has been a big change for me over the decades. So bring on the next Middle Tenn., ULM, and Southern Charlton come on down. Lots of Bama fans see no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil, when it comes to the minor league. I'll take it a step beyond this conversation, It will only change when big brother tells us we must. That will also be the precise moment we go to 9 conferece games as well. I understand Bama doesn't want to go first. I don't blame them, neither do I. But the day we all stop playing these directional schools in unison will be a happy moment. Back to the future kind of happiness.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Why some people don't understand the landmine part is beyond me. I mean the moment we stop playing the directional schools and start playing only top ten schools may make some happy, but will also be the moment we stop winning national championships.

I distinctly remember Coach Bryant stating that it takes two to three weeks to recover from a game against a team like Nebraska. If Bama plays those type games every week, how many weeks is before they are done or totally beat down.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Why some people don't understand the landmine part is beyond me. I mean the moment we stop playing the directional schools and start playing only top ten schools may make some happy, but will also be the moment we stop winning national championships.

I distinctly remember Coach Bryant stating that it takes two to three weeks to recover from a game against a team like Nebraska. If Bama plays those type games every week, how many weeks is before they are done or totally beat down.
I can think of no better example of that than Bama-ut 1971-1992. For many years Coach Bryant had attempted to leave the week before ut open (bye). He finally had accomplished that for the FOUR years 1982-1985. When he and Joe Paterno got together and scheduled the 10 year (1981-1990) Bama-PSU series he used (rest assured, very reluctantly) those FOUR open dates prior to ut to schedule PSU. In the aforementioned 22 year (1971-1992) period of Bama-ut, Bama won 18 and lost FOUR. Guess which FOUR years!

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.