GA News: OnlineAthens - Gameday blog: G-Day edition

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
April 16th, 2016 12:32 PM

Kirby Smart and Georgia could hardly have asked a better G-Day weather-wise.
It’s a gorgeous Saturday in Athens with temperatures expected to be in the lower 70s by the time the scrimmage gets underway after 4 p.m.
It’s the third and final scrimmage for the Bulldogs this spring, but it’s more than that, too.
“We’re going to treat it like a real game,” wide receiver Terry Godwin said.
“I want to see competitors out there,” Smart said. “I want to see guys compete and I’m going to challenge them. I want to see some disciplined guys play hard but play between the whistle.”
Smart said G-Day will have some running clock with two-minute situations at the end of halves “to create those situations for the quarterback. A little bit more excitement, forcing you to throw the ball even if you had to lead. So there’s a competitive nature in that.”
He said he didn’t expect any live kickoffs or live returns.
“We’re going to be competing our tails off,” outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter said. “We get a champions meal after so Monday it will all come down to if you won or if you lost. If you lost, then you get a lesser meal than a winner.”
Carter said the winners gets lobster or steak and the losers get beanie weenies (franks and beans).
Here’s what Carter is expecting: “I’m looking for explosive plays. Our offense, they’re built for explosive plays. They’re going to be a powerful offense. I want to see what they’re going to do on first and second down because I want to see how I’m going to react.”
Fans aren’t the only ones that want to get a look at fab freshman QB Jacob Eason.
“I want to see him, too,” Smart said on 680 am this week .”I want to see how he plays. I’ve had the luxury of watching him practice and grow. I want to see how he does in front of a competitive environment, an exciting environment, see how he responds, see what he does. That’s the only way to find out.”
Said safety Quincy Mauger: “All of our quarterbacks have stepped up to the plate and tried to make some big plays.”

Some G-Day notes:
--Traffic four hours before start time wasn’t terrible, but there was some. I would say somewhere in the Louisiana-Monroe and Kentucky game level.
--Southern’s Devon Gales, who is back in Atlanta rehabbing from his spinal injury sustained against Georgia, has a whole booth designated for him on the press box level. He returned for a game last season after he was paralyzed.
--There is an alumni football game going on. The head coach of one of the teams was asked by announcer Bobby Poss about the line for the game. When will this translate into real games?
--Some observations from the rosters.
Quarterback Greyson Lambert is with the Black team (the first team offense and second team defense). Quarterbacks Brice Ramsey and Jacob Eason are on the Red team (the second team offense and first team defense), but there could be a quarterback that plays on both teams.
Running backs Sony Michel and Tae Crowder are both with the first-team offense as are receivers Terry Godwin, Jayson Stanley and Michael Chigbu. Jeb Blazevich and Jordan Davis are the tight ends. Wide receivers Isaiah McKenzie and Reggie Davis are on the second team.
Reggie Carter and Natrez Patrick are with the first-team defense. So are both Davin Bellamy and Lorenzo Carter at outside linebacker. Juwuan Briscoe, Malkom Parrish, Rico McGraw, Quincy Mauger and Dominick Sanders seem to be in top five defensive backs. Defensive linemen Trent Thompson, Jonathan Ledbetter, John Atkins and DaQuan Hawkins (probably out injured) are all with the first unit on defense. Cornerback Aaron Davis, inside linebacker Tim Kimbrough are among those on the second-team defense.
--Pretty much everybody went through the Dawg Walk dressed out, including those not expected to go like running back Nick Chubb (knee) and linebacker Chuks Amaechi (shoulder). Linebacker Roquan Smith (wrist) was clubbed up so maybe he plays some.
Kirby Smart and his coaching staff went through the Dawg Walk, too.

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.