Link: Profile of Robert Nkemdiche During Draft Process

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

ROBERT NKEMDICHE WANTS a pet panther. That's how he plans to treat himself when he signs his rookie contract. He wants to take care of his family, and he wants to buy a panther. Right now, on this March afternoon, he's at Handy Andy, a roadside barbecue joint in Oxford, Mississippi. They know him here. A few months ago -- before he fell out of a fourth-story hotel room window, was hospitalized, was charged with possession of pot and was suspended for the Sugar Bowl, ending an All-America career as a defensive tackle at Ole Miss -- he would walk in and simply wave to the cashier to begin his order: two double bacon burgers with pepper jack cheese and a Mountain Dew. But this is his first time back in a while, so he orders at the register, then makes his way to a table in the back, away from most patrons.

Soon Nkemdiche is quadruple-tasking. He's chugging. "Something about Mountain Dew, man." He's eavesdropping on a conversation between two 80-something men. "I like old people. There's no pretentiousness." He's discussing his admiration for Pink Floyd. "Division Bell. It speaks to me." And he's watching Instagram videos of domesticated panthers. He likes the black ones, likes how their eyes glow. He stares at shots of people playing with panthers, wrestling with them as if they were dogs, nudging faces, fearless when they open their mouths. "It's sick."

It's insane.

"No, it's not. They're like cats."

Can't he see the headline? Visitor Mauled by NFL Star Robert Nkemdiche's Pet Panther.

"If someone comes over and is scared, I'll put the panther away."

It's not that Nkemdiche would be a pioneer in housing a panther. It's that the panther is yet another thing. Robert Nkemdiche is 21 years old, jacked, polite and hardworking. But he's a creative spirit entering a world where creative spirits are looked upon with suspicion and disdain. He was once considered a top-five pick. Now nobody knows. For his part, Nkemdiche can't fathom how a panther might be an issue, just as he can't understand why falling out of a hotel room -- "one mistake" -- coupled with concern over the influence of his older brother Denzel might end up costing him millions. Nkemdiche is more than an immensely talented guy with a mild self-destructive streak. He's a test case of what happens when a weird guy meets a weird process.

Attachments

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, so what team takes a chance on this disaster waiting to happen? If I were a GM, I wouldn't draft this kid earlier than the 3rd round. High up-side, but he could far more easily turn into a clubhouse disaster.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I thought the comparison to Ricky Williams was spot on. I could see Nkemdeche in the Pro Bowl one year and then completely out of football the next. He's definitely not someone that's going to have a long career. The only question is how long will he last before becoming bored with football or totally destroyed by an entourage.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I thought the comparison to Ricky Williams was spot on. I could see Nkemdeche in the Pro Bowl one year and then completely out of football the next. He's definitely not someone that's going to have a long career. The only question is how long will he last before becoming bored with football or totally destroyed by an entourage.
Or mauled to death by his own panther?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
But he's a creative spirit entering a world where creative spirits are looked upon with suspicion and disdain.
I'm not so sure about this phrase, though. Seems like something a parent would say about their ADHD kid who's currently wiping his butt on the curtains.
If I'm reading the subtext practically, "creative spirit" actually means undisciplined man-child who can't stay focused and be consistent in doing the right things.
If he doesn't want to play football - that's totally fine. Don't waste these teams time trying to convince them you're a solid guy if you aren't.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wild animals are unpredictable, I don't care if they have lived with someone their whole lives, they can snap at any moment.

Honestly I think he does something before he finishes his first NFL year and is gone within 3.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.