Projecting the Difference in the 2016 Defense and 2015's Defense

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One thing we believe after seeing the A-Day game is they'll be nasty, big but fast!

But comparing next year with last year with the change from Smart to Pruitt how do you see things changing???

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One thing we believe after seeing the A-Day game is they'll be nasty, big but fast!

But comparing next year with last year with the change from Smart to Pruitt how do you see things changing???
I think this could be the fastest and most athletic defense that we've had under CNS. The amount of speed on defense is crazy. I think Pruitt's defense is going to be more aggressive than Smart's defenses. Personnel wise the defense may be just a bit softer against inside runs but we only go up against a couple of teams, LSU and Arkansas, who are dedicated to running the ball between the tackles. Depth is a slight concern on the defensive line. We definitely need some of the younger guys to develop. With that being said this is probably the most talented starting 11 that we've had on defense. Should be a nasty, salty unit..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not a concern, but I wonder if your run defense up the middle will be as nasty for 4 quarters. Lost the big dog in the middle in Ragland, and lost a lot of depth at DT.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

I think it's agreat time to be downsizing our D. Pruitt's approach against auburn and the clemsons's of the world seemed like the right way to attack. At Florida St he did well with his schemes during the run. At Georgia just didn't seem he inherited a team that was on the same wave link. Got to believe that was getting the best of him. I think we'll see the most dramatic difference in our blitz packages and d-back level. Frankly, as we continue to evolve against these sinister spreads, I'm excited he is here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not a concern, but I wonder if your run defense up the middle will be as nasty for 4 quarters. Lost the big dog in the middle in Ragland, and lost a lot of depth at DT.
These two young fellas can help in the middle once they get to campus next month.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I like what others are saying about more blitzes/pressure.

With guys like Tim Williams coming from the edge and then combining that with a corner blitz off the other side, JT666 is probably right about extra underwear for opposing qbs.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Last year's front 6/7 was the best and deepest in Alabama history. Maybe in CFB history. It's wholly unrealistic to think we'll sustain that performance through the losses to the NFL.

We'll be better than 95%+ of all CFB teams in 2016. The fact that we probably won't be as good as 2015 is a monument to 2015, not an indictment of 2016.

I do think the 2016 secondary will actually be better than the 2015 version. Overall, I say we'll be more effective against everybody except Arkansas and LSU. You just don't lose A'Shawn, Reed and Ragland and not feel it against power running between the tackles.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
We have some beef and experience coming back, and a couple of serious thumping rockets on the linebacker crew that will be fun to watch. I don't see much of a drop off from last year. I doubt we see anyone high jump over an OL to block a kick but who knows.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
These two young fellas can help in the middle once they get to campus next month.

We are going to need them to contribute and hoping Davis gets on campus. We do not currently have the overall depth or talent in the middle we had last year but there is time to develop it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We are going to need them to contribute and hoping Davis gets on campus. We do not currently have the overall depth or talent in the middle we had last year but there is time to develop it.
Are we expecting Davis to make it to campus? There were some serious academic concerns with him at one point..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Just kinda see how it plays out once we start hitting guys in different jerseys. I was a little concerned how much better the 2nd OL unit creased the 2nd DL unit in the run game. May speak to a lack of depth in the middle of the defense. We're kinda plussed up on edge guys but not so much for the 0-tech NTs and 5-tech DEs. The thing is that the roster doesn't get split when we play USC, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc. So the rotations may make a bit more sense and round out nicely.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Are we expecting Davis to make it to campus? There were some serious academic concerns with him at one point..
I don't know. I remember some talk during recruiting if we would let him sign since it appeared he may be a long shot but we signed him anyway.
I have not heard any more updates.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
as others have said, the pass rush should be just fine and has a chance to improve some from last year, assuming the run defense is ok (one of the reasons our pass rush last year was so good was that folks knew they couldn't run, so had to pass and our guys could pin their ears back a little bit).

If we are as good against the run, it will be because we do some things differently this year than last scheme and responsibility wise because we just don't have the size and same type of players we had last year. That's not a knock on the guys we have - they are very talented, they are just different types of DL. D Hand is a monster, but he's not the same as Reed, Hand has more explosive power, but Reed was simply immovable as well as being relatively quick. Tomlinson has a lot of potential, but he's a different type of player than A Robinson. Pruitt will probably have to adjust some things in how we stop the run to best use these guys

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.