Saban - the illusion of choice

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saw this quote earlier, absolutely love it.

“They all think they have this illusion of choice, like ‘I can do whatever I want to do’. And you kind of have a younger generation now that doesn’t always get told no, they don’t always get told this is exactly how you need to do it. So they have this illusion that they have all these choices.

But the fact of the matter is, is if you want to be good, you really don’t have a lot of choices, because it takes what it takes. You have to do what you have to do to be successful. So you have to make choices and decisions to have the discipline and focus to the process of what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

All these guys that think they have a lot of choices are really sadly mistaken. And I think, as we all have done with our own children, they learn these lessons of life as they get older, and sometimes the best way to learn is from the mistakes that you make, even though we all hate to see them have to make them. And we don’t really condone them when they do.”

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
BTW, I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments section beneath that article and it just made me so thankful that I found this little community with people who know how to think critically, who know how to empathize, and who can read subtext and understand that not every situation is black and white. Thanks for being here, folks.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
This is why for the most part Bama has avoided trouble in terms of major NCAA violations with Coach Saban at the helm.....it's called doing things.....every single thing.....the right way. No exceptions.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Saw this quote earlier, absolutely love it.
There it is. The hard facts of life. "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Gadflies say this stuff all day long. I fell for it well into my 40's. First, do you even know what you love? Even if you love it, do you have the self-discipline to do the things others don't want to do who work in that field so that you can get to the top? In CNS' book (How Good Do You Want to Be?) he brings up the fact that you almost never get to choose what you'll do in life and where you'll go in life. It will almost never be what you expected when you were a kid. CNS wanted to be a car salesman. I guess he owns a dealership now but life's path took him elsewhere. I'm sure he doesn't regret it though. As a Bama fan, I don't. A lot of kids are being fed a lot of garbage these days but I guess my granddad said the same thing about the "Pepsi Generation" when I was getting out of high school in 87.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
BTW, I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments section beneath that article and it just made me so thankful that I found this little community with people who know how to think critically, who know how to empathize, and who can read subtext and understand that not every situation is black and white. Thanks for being here, folks.
Great read. I mostly avoid reading comments because evidently every idiot on the planet can comment on articles. It is like a moth drawn to a flame. "Oh, lookie here, where is my keyboard so's I can show the world how little I know about _______ and how biased I am on the ____________ subject.

Tide fans is like a breath of fresh air and also a profanity free zone.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is unfortunate, but CNS is right. This has become a nation of enablers and goes to the heart of why most, not all young adults, suffer from this illusion. Spoken by someone who has been the consummate enabler.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Not to get too deep with articles of this note, but, people simply have their gifts in life. Some people think numbers, others love music, the sciences and on and on. Coach Saban's mental aptitude is strong toward human nature. First his own, than others. It's not that we can't all have a working knowledge of all these gifts, but some people are just especially strong in certain areas of thought and I think for some, it's just easier to access and teach others. Going back a ways now, coach Bryant was so strong in reading the character and understanding the nature of his players. He clearly got what made people tick and perform best in all kinds of pressure situations. I think it's what separates coach Saban today from so many hardworking, X and O, cheerleading coaches that happen to be chasing him.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Not to get too deep with articles of this note, but, people simply have their gifts in life. Some people think numbers, others love music, the sciences and on and on. Coach Saban's mental aptitude is strong toward human nature. First his own, than others. It's not that we can't all have a working knowledge of all these gifts, but some people are just especially strong in certain areas of thought and I think for some, it's just easier to access and teach others. Going back a ways now, coach Bryant was so strong in reading the character and understanding the nature of his players. He clearly got what made people tick and perform best in all kinds of pressure situations. I think it's what separates coach Saban today from so many hardworking, X and O, cheerleading coaches that happen to be chasing him.
I love this comment. Everyone has value, that is displayed in great team play. We have been fortunate to have coaches who know how to recognize the value of each player and coach him to use it to the best of his ability and the benefit of the team...transfers well into life as a whole. "United we stand...."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.