Question: Questions about Skype

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
For anyone using it, hope you will share what you know. Want to use it to "phone with pictures" over a high speed connection, but know next to nothing about it. I'm using Windows7 on a laptop. It has a camera and microphone.

Is there a charge for use?

I don't even know enough to ask questions and am looking for input before downloading the program.

Thanks in advance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
basic skype is free. i use it all of the time traveling (domestic and international) to call home. you do need a good connection. i mostly use it on my ipad.

you can pay a fee and get more features but im not sure what all is involved with that.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I've used Skype in my trips to Myanmar. It works ok there even though they don't have a good connection. Sometimes it was audio only. In my recent trips I've used either FaceTime (I'm an apple user) or the video call on Facebook messenger. The latter two options don't require as much bandwidth so even if you don't have a great connection it still works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've used the free version for a long time.

I use the audio only stuff for conference calls at work, since its all toll free numbers.

Anytime my wife or I are out of town for an extended period of time, we'll use the Skype video features to talk to each other and the kids. We've also Skyped with friends that are in Europe with no problems.

Typically, the limiting factor is your internet connection.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Our HR dept where I work has been using it for some high-level, long distance interviews. Works really well.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I use the basic free services (connections to other Skye sessions) all of the time, and as others have pointed out bandwidth on both ends cause most of the problems. I rarely have any. Charges come into play when you want to call phones from Skype.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I haven't used it for a couple of years, since my daughter moved back from Germany to NoVA. (We don't see them any more frequently now, but we don't use Skype, for some reason.) I was surprised at the quality of it, the first time we used it. I have Comcast's tier which is supposed to produce 105 mbps, but usually just yields about 95. A number of years ago, probably mid '90s, when my son was in the army in Korea, they arranged a holiday video conference out on Redstone. This was cutting edge technology at the time - what the army itself was using for video conferences in a highly-equipped video conference room. Five years ago, the Skype quality was much better...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I don't use it, prefer just voice, but do know several grandparents who use it to communicate with grandchildren who live a distance from them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.