Your Pre-Season Top Five Prediction

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well that will be your Heisman race then. Cook vs. Watson.

Of course, the kid at Stanford is likely to get a lot of publicity since so many thought he deserved it last year.
It will probably turn out to be one of the closest votes in history. All three are phenomenal football players Fournette ain't too shabby either.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
DW is just a special dude too. And Gallman is back. They'll be VERY hard to keep under 30-35 points per game.
The walk on wide out that beat us a couple of times had a really good spring game as well. They're going to be real hard to stop offensively. But I hope we have the opportunity to give it a try :)

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
So this is where I predict what the open poll will look like?

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. LSU
4. FSU
5. Michigan

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Not really - we struggled too much offensively, so didn't have huge leads. But when you are in the hunt for a championship, you just play. You let next season take care of itself.
Very true and kinda of how we played our RB position in 2015. It could've been easy to take away some of Derrick's carries to get some experience for Bo or Damien, but as long as the big guy said he was good carrying the load, we rode Derrick to the finish line and now are using the spring to work the new guys into shape.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Michigan State returns 10 starters. One key loss - Conner Cook. Also, they lose their starting LT, WR, and C. Will be difficult for them next season with replacing those key components.
I knew about Cook. Didn't realize the rest were gone.

Honestly, this was more a reflection in my eyes of Dantonio's coaching ability. He seems to have Michigan State in contention every year, regardless of talent loss.

Which probably breaks Sip's rule for the thread (since I'm thinking more full season than just preseason).

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Preseason:
1. Bama-I always believe the defending champ starts #1.
2. Clemson
3. Baylor
4. LSU
5. Michigan

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Don't have a real top 5 pre-season prediction right now, but I think LSU will get a lot of love. Clemson might, but my "take it to the bank" prediction is they will be no where to be found when it comes play off time. Reference Texas, LSU, Noter Dame, and..... They have been Sabanized.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Stanford
4. Michigan
5. LSU
A preseason top five without Clemson, Oklahoma, and/or Ohio State?
I'd bet a nice steak dinner that Clemson will be ranked number one to start the season.
Remember, the thread was to predict what you think the initial poll will be, not the final result.
I refer you to the opening post :)
sip

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I'd bet a nice steak dinner that Clemson will be ranked number one to start the season.
Remember, the thread was to predict what you think the initial poll will be, not the final result.
sip
I took your OP to mean final AP poll and not final CFP committee selection (final result). Five hours later I noticed your thread title said Pre-Season. Thus the edit of my prediction five hours later.

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
sip

At worst, I'm a lousy prognosticator. At best, I'm still enjoying the world's longest national championship parade. And it's not even summer.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My ballot:

1. Notre Dame
2. South Carolina
3. Arkansas
4. New York Jets
5. Notre Dame scout team

Lou Holtz.

Oh yea?

1. Purdue
2. Clemson
3. Arkansas State
4. New York Giants
5. Indiana scout team

Mark May.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Clemson would probably be my national champion reckon at this juncture. What did they really lose offensively? Not much. Defensively, they lost two elite guys but they're pretty deep there too.

Alabama's ceiling is right up there but I think we have a better idea of where the Clemson watermark ought to be.
Just 2? :conf2:

IMO Clemson lost more than Ohio State. Ohio State lost more talent, but they have a lot more talent to replace them with. I'm not sure Clemson can fill in for Lawson, Dodd & Alexander all potential 1st round picks. Not to mention a potential 2nd round pick in TJ Green, 3rd-4th round pick in Charone Peake, 3rd-4th round pick in BJ Goodson, 4th-5th round pick DJ Reader, and 5th-6th round pick Jayron Kearse with the potential of a flyer or 2 being taken on another guy or two in the 7th.

To recap, based on different mock drafts:
1. DE Shaq Lawson
2. DE Kevin Dodd
3. CB Mackensie Alexander,
4. S TJ Green
5. WR Charone Peake
6. LB BJ Goodson
7. NT DJ Reader
8. S Jayron Kearse

So they lost 8 NFL players, with the potential of up to 9 or 10. I'm not sure why Clemson is getting so much love nationally. Yes, they have DeShaun Watson, but they lost the teeth of their defense. They'll lose a couple of games this year, and I seriously doubt they'll be back in the playoffs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just 2? :conf2:

IMO Clemson lost more than Ohio State. Ohio State lost more talent, but they have a lot more talent to replace them with. I'm not sure Clemson can fill in for Lawson, Dodd & Alexander all potential 1st round picks. Not to mention a potential 2nd round pick in TJ Green, 3rd-4th round pick in Charone Peake, 3rd-4th round pick in BJ Goodson, 4th-5th round pick DJ Reader, and 5th-6th round pick Jayron Kearse with the potential of a flyer or 2 being taken on another guy or two in the 7th.

To recap, based on different mock drafts:
1. DE Shaq Lawson
2. DE Kevin Dodd
3. CB Mackensie Alexander,
4. S TJ Green
5. WR Charone Peake
6. LB BJ Goodson
7. NT DJ Reader
8. S Jayron Kearse

So they lost 8 NFL players, with the potential of up to 9 or 10. I'm not sure why Clemson is getting so much love nationally. Yes, they have DeShaun Watson, but they lost the teeth of their defense. They'll lose a couple of games this year, and I seriously doubt they'll be back in the playoffs.
This is my feeling also. Even with all that defensive talent last year it's not like they were dominant defensively. I don't remember the exact stat but they gave up over 30 points to a lot of teams and over 40 points several times. Some of the teams that ran up those points were pretty average..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is my feeling also. Even with all that defensive talent last year it's not like they were dominant defensively. I don't remember the exact stat but they gave up over 30 points to a lot of teams and over 40 points several times. Some of the teams that ran up those points were pretty average..
Prior to playing Alabama, Clemson's opponents averaged 29.7 ppg, and that includes playing three teams ranked 100th or worse in scoring offense and two ranked in the top 20. Clemson allowed 41 points to NC State and 32 to South Carolina and 37 to North Carolina. Overall, Clemson averaged giving up 20 ppg prior to facing Alabama. Their average jumped up to 21.7 ppg after playing Alabama.

With the losses to that defense, I'm not sure Clemson will be able to maintain what we saw this past season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.