Report: Prince Dead at 57

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You know what? It's sad that sometimes it takes something this awful happening to make me remember and once again marvel over someone's talent...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You know what? It's sad that sometimes it takes something this awful happening to make me remember and once again marvel over someone's talent...
a guy who i worked with for several summers in tuscaloosa was a prince fanatic. i would come away each summer with cassette tapes full of albums, extended re-mixes, and euro bootlegs of prince's stuff. i think my favorite work of his was controversy. that was in my walkman for a couple of summers as i mowed grass to make $

sign o the times and batman was about the last of his stuff that i remember paying attention to.

i remember once in the high school parking lot after school playing something by prince in my truck and some guy walked by and asked, who is playing that awesome guitar, that rocks. and when i told him prince, he just looked at me weird and walked away.

he played two shows at the fox in atlanta last week. i wish i would have made it to one. it sounded like he gave two awesome shows.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i thought i remembered some folks claiming prince was a crappy guitar player when talking about his halftime show on the ns board :)

link

Actually , I did enjoy the show . Thought I was 13 again . There was always a debate regarding how much guitar Prince really did play . The girl used to play most of it .

I play guitar and feel Prince knows enough to make non-players think he's good but , hell I dust him and I'm no Jimi Hendrix . Anyway , people that play can see through others and IMO , he's no great guitarist . Thought he butchered a lot of it . Well , still enjoyed the show and the old memories that came with it .

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
that's it exactly. When Prince first got popular I was exactly the age to rebel against it because it was popular. I was, and still am, a bigger fan of Punk, New Wave, Ska and many other forms so it took me years to really appreciate Prince to begin with (it was the song Kiss that first blew me away for whatever reason it resonated) over the years I came to appreciate the talent, then the music and then over the last few years I never really thought about it. The last 24 hours is making me recall how truly amazing he was

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
he played two shows at the fox in atlanta last week. i wish i would have made it to one. it sounded like he gave two awesome shows.
The fox has ~4,700 seats and over the years I bet 50,000 people will claim to have made it to one of these two shows

I didn't even know he was playing and I keep up (though I hate the Fox as a venue) with Atlanta music scouted good shows

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that's it exactly. When Prince first got popular I was exactly the age to rebel against it because it was popular. I was, and still am, a bigger fan of Punk, New Wave, Ska and many other forms so it took me years to really appreciate Prince to begin with (it was the song Kiss that first blew me away for whatever reason it resonated) over the years I came to appreciate the talent, then the music and then over the last few years I never really thought about it. The last 24 hours is making me recall how truly amazing he was
the parents in my church freaked out when purple rain came out. they actually had a parents meeting talking about all of the naughty things that were in darling nicki and the rest of his songs

so then the parents went out to all of us teens asking questions like "this music is evil junk that glorifies sin, do you know what it means to masturbate with a magazine?"

this was about the same time as all of the moral panic was going on about heavy metal and backwards messages. i kept messing up my turntable trying to find backwards messages on my albums.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The fox has ~4,700 seats and over the years I bet 50,000 people will claim to have made it to one of these two shows

I didn't even know he was playing and I keep up (though I hate the Fox as a venue) with Atlanta music scouted good shows
i've seen a couple of really good shows there, but mostly, i am not a fan of the fox as a venue.

honestly, my favorite music venue in atlanta is the variety playhouse.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i've seen a couple of really good shows there, but mostly, i am not a fan of the fox as a venue.

honestly, my favorite music venue in atlanta is the variety playhouse.
Center Stage for me, love the setup and acoustics. But I also love the variety playhouse and the masquerade but not in the summer, gets too hot in heaven

I've seen great shows in all three

the Fox however just has a bad layout, no matter how good your tickets are the views are poor

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
i thought i remembered some folks claiming prince was a crappy guitar player when talking about his halftime show on the ns board :)

link
Scrolling through that, it's crazy how many people have been suspended....

Plus the added thrill of NYBF posts....never disappoint

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Seeing all of these videos makes me realize I like everything I've seen and didn't even know I liked his stuff. Before this, he was just the weird guy that changed his name to a symbol to me.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I always though he was a better "talent" than Michael despite Michael's name. It's a shame both are gone.

Frey, Lemmy, Merle, RIckman, Bowie, come on now, ease up 2016.

RIP Prince. :frown:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.