Why I love accounting

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yep, this is for my corporate accounting compatriots. Here are some of the things I love about my job as the Controller:

1) Month-end closing
2) Payroll
3) Sales tax
4) Quarterly payroll tax/unemployment reporting
5) Sales tax reporting
6) Financial analysis/swings in revenue/expenses
7) Accruals
8) Commissions/bonuses
9) Year-end Audits - I actually like our auditor. We're his favorite client (so he says, but then again, I make his job easy)
10) Bank reconciliations
11) Account reconciliations
12) Depreciation/amortization
13) Property tax renditions
14) AR/AP Agings
15) Pivot tables - Yes, I really do love pivot tables.
16) New customer credit checks
17) Collections - ok, really, I hate collections, I'm just good at it.
18) Municipal business license filings
19) Foreign transactions & VAT
20) Expense report audits
21) Cash apps/Cash forecasting (forgot this one)

Feel free to add to the list folks.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Yep, this for my corporate accounting compatriots. Here are some of the things I love about my job as the Controller:

1) Month-end closing
2) Payroll
3) Sales tax
5) Sales tax reporting
7) Accruals
8) Commissions/bonuses
9) Year-end Audits - I actually like our auditor. We're his favorite client (so he says, but then again, I make his job easy)
10) Bank reconciliations
14) AR/AP Agings

Thank you for reminding me of why I sold my company and retired. :)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I report sales taxes in 30 states. I'm about to add 4 more to the list. The 18th or there about each month is a little chaotic for me. When the 18th happens to be a payroll Wednesday as well, I'm usually a complete a-hole. (Catfish/seebell - please, no comments necessary. ;) )

I never thought I would become an SME on sales tax...how little did I know. And if you ever have questions about municipal business licenses in Alabama, call me. UGH!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was the family business (two older brothers CPAs) and I started working in it at 15. My freshman year, I worked for the University Auditor. I quit and applied as a counterman at Northington Laundry. I deliberately didn't put UA down as a reference because I wanted away from accounting. (Did I mention this was punch card IBM check days and the first of each month, they'd bring in the checks for all 17 UA bank accounts and I'd spend the first two weeks of each month reconciling them? There were always 3 or 4 trays with a miswhack in them.)

Anyway, Mrs. Barrett, Col. Barrett was just a figurehead, she ran it, interviewed me at Northington. She said "Earle, countermen are a dime a dozen, but we need a trained accountant and I understand that's what you are." To this day, I don't know how she knew. So, I accepted. I actually worked downtown at Jamison, Money and filled in as an auditor for them. My last two years of law school, I worked as an income tax examiner for ADOR.

Still not wanting to be an accountant, I had gone to law school. Finishing up there, I realized my background would be useful in tax law, so I applied for and got accepted at NYU graduate law school. Thankfully, I got a scholarship for tuition, which would be $57K+ today. Needless to say, my accounting background has been invaluable in 50+ years in my field. I had one CPA comment to me "Earle, talking to you is just like talking to another accountant, not a lawyer." He meant it as a compliment and that's the way I took it...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It was the family business (two older brothers CPAs) and I started working in it at 15. My freshman year, I worked for the University Auditor. I quit and applied as a counterman at Northington Laundry. I deliberately didn't put UA down as a reference because I wanted away from accounting. (Did I mention this was punch card IBM check days and the first of each month, they'd bring in the checks for all 17 UA bank accounts and I'd spend the first two weeks of each month reconciling them? There were always 3 or 4 trays with a miswhack in them.)

Anyway, Mrs. Barrett, Col. Barrett was just a figurehead, she ran it, interviewed me at Northington. She said "Earle, countermen are a dime a dozen, but we need a trained accountant and I understand that's what you are." To this day, I don't know how she knew. So, I accepted. I actually worked downtown at Jamison, Money and filled in as an auditor for them. My last two years of law school, I worked as an income tax examiner for ADOR.

Still not wanting to be an accountant, I had gone to law school. Finishing up there, I realized my background would be useful in tax law, so I applied for and got accepted at NYU graduate law school. Thankfully, I got a scholarship for tuition, which would be $57K+ today. Needless to say, my accounting background has been invaluable in 50+ years in my field. I had one CPA comment to me "Earle, talking to you is just like talking to another accountant, not a lawyer." He meant it as a compliment and that's the way I took it...
I contemplated going to law school after I finished my MBA, but my oldest son was 9 months old and to be honest, I had all the school I could take at the time. I've thought about it once my youngest graduates in a few years just because. We have an office in B'ham so if I wouldn't mind doing a joint JD/MTA at the Capstone. I could probably swing it at U of H as well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yep, this is for my corporate accounting compatriots. Here are some of the things I love about my job as the Controller:

1) Month-end closing
2) Payroll
3) Sales tax
5) Sales tax reporting
7) Accruals
8) Commissions/bonuses
10) Bank reconciliations
14) AR/AP Agings
21) Cash apps/Cash forecasting (forgot this one)

The story of my life right there. Been doing it for 18 years.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I get that with the added joys of census reporting and the like. Thankfully I came out of the corporate environment and work for a small business handling all things accounting, payroll, and purchasing, except income tax filings. In my corporate life I was a cost accountant, which as you know is rather backwards. I guess that probably explains a lot.
I've been at it about 30 yrs.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I get that with the added joys of census reporting and the like. Thankfully I came out of the corporate environment and work for a small business handling all things accounting, payroll, and purchasing, except income tax filings. In my corporate life I was a cost accountant, which as you know is rather backwards. I guess that probably explains a lot.
I've been at it about 30 yrs.
Ditto. I started out with Shell, then went to two successively small companies. At Shell you get "siloed." In my current role, I get to do all things...including HR stuff. EEOC reporting since some of our customers are federal contractors. Fun stuff.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I report sales taxes in 30 states. I'm about to add 4 more to the list. The 18th or there about each month is a little chaotic for me. When the 18th happens to be a payroll Wednesday as well, I'm usually a complete a-hole. (Catfish/seebell - please, no comments necessary. ;) )

:biggrin2:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Some people get into business so they can do their own accounting. Some people get into business to try do what they love for a living. If they love accounting it works, if they don't they had better learn to. It is one reason I now happily let my boss worry about that and go home.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.