I hate this time of year

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Come on guys - since when has summer been a bad thing? You need to live through a few winters to gain some perspective.
I have learned how to enjoy the "dead" period, but unfortunately it will rule out a great many on this board who only care about Bama and want to ignore the other 127 teams.

I keep up with all the P5 and G5 teams. Right now SBNation has previewed the MWC, CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt. They are now previewing the AAC. I click on the Pac12, Big12, B1G and ACC on a regular basis. At present I am reading up on all the Spring games and adjusting my stats for the coming season, hopefully to do well in pick 'ems.

Summer is what you make of it.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Welllllllllllllllllll I'm w Moon n B1G on this one...

Jan n Feb are bitterly cold n dark up here, w March showing some early signs of "life"...

I walk to the office most every day - 30 minutes each way - no matter the temps / weather, so I really "experience" it...

As such, and as Moon n B1G allude to, this is my favorite time of year, in that not only do we get relief from the nasty winter weather, but the warm, sunny days lie ahead...

As passionate a fan of Alabama football as I am - and I am a longtime passionate fan, I wouldn't trade this time of year for anything...

Plus, as cbi says above, being the reigning national champion suuuuuuuuuuuuuure adds something to the off-season...

As time has permitted in the evening, when the spirit moves me in the cold dark winter months, I fire up my PVR recording of the national championship game, at around the 13:42 mark of the 4th quarter if I recall correctly, when Bama is down 27-24, and Griff ties it w a FG, followed by the game-changing "pop kick", and enjoy the rest of the game as I prep dinner. And man is that ever a nice option to have on a Canadian winter's evening...

All of that being said, I totally get that the Summer heat can be oppressive in the South [tho I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't trade Canadian winters for it; in a heartbeat...] and I couldn't be happier for you, Dan, that you're enjoying your undoubtedly well-deserved retirement in the ways you describe it.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Welllllllllllllllllll I'm w Moon n B1G on this one...

Jan n Feb are bitterly cold n dark up here, w March showing some early signs of "life"...

I walk to the office most every day - 30 minutes each way - no matter the temps / weather, so I really "experience" it...

As such, and as Moon n B1G allude to, this is my favorite time of year, in that not only do we get relief from the nasty winter weather, but the warm, sunny days lie ahead...

As passionate a fan of Alabama football as I am - and I am a longtime passionate fan, I wouldn't trade this time of year for anything...

Plus, as cbi says above, being the reigning national champion suuuuuuuuuuuuuure adds something to the off-season...

As time has permitted in the evening, when the spirit moves me in the cold dark winter months, I fire up my PVR recording of the national championship game, at around the 13:42 mark of the 4th quarter if I recall correctly, when Bama is down 27-24, and Griff ties it w a FG, followed by the game-changing "pop kick", and enjoy the rest of the game as I prep dinner. And man is that ever a nice option to have on a Canadian winter's evening...

All of that being said, I totally get that the Summer heat can be oppressive in the South [tho I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't trade Canadian winters for it; in a heartbeat...] and I couldn't be happier for you, Dan, that you're enjoying your undoubtedly well-deserved retirement in the ways you describe it.
We "northerners" have a very different perspective on summer. I've done summers in Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee and I've done winters in VT and Ontario. Both are brutal, but I'm far more emotionally drained by the end of a northern winter than the end of a southern summer.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Come on guys - since when has summer been a bad thing? You need to live through a few winters to gain some perspective.
The first winter in Columbus was enough to teach me that! A brutal shock for a kid after living in Tampa up to that point, but I did like going to the OSU games. Of course that was ancient history, pre-Big Ten days (Western Conference) and Wes Fesler(?) was the coach. Pretty stormy period in OSU football as best I remember.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is a good time of the year to have a hobby, that's for sure, other than twiddling your thumbs. I know this from years of experience that most of the board arguments happen in the off season. Many opinions have to wait a long time, not to next weeks game.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm retired now so I have a lot of free time to do things I choose. When I was working I used to really bury myself in my work this time of year, as I sold commercial lawn equipment. The off season for football coincided with my work season. Everyone looks at retirement their own way but for me keeping busy is very important. It's nice to not have anymore job related stress so I'll find things to do(volunteer) until football season.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, spring and summer is the best time of the year to me. We have nice weather, vacations to the beach, lake weekends, golf outings, hiking, and family outings. Fall means back to work and then winter doldrums. College football is the only consolation that gets me through. Fall Saturdays are great, but that's about it.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I would totally agree except I have my other team to cheer on -- Manchester City of the English Premier League (soccer to ya'll). City are in the semi-finals of the European Champions League and play Real Madrid on 4/26/16 with the second leg in Spain on 5/5/16. If anyone interested, will be on Fox Sports 1 starting around 3 p.m. EST each game. Don't how it will go, but this is the furthest City has ventured in this competition. Also, still in a fight in the EPL for places in Europe competitions next season. Following soccer with the Euros this July (competing nations) will mean my summer will not be boring and that College Football is right around the corner.
With the way Arsenal is playing right now, I think the Champions League is a lock for City at this point. Ordinarily pull for Everton (who are terrible and likely to fire Martinez in the very near future), but I'm on the Leicester bandwagon this year.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I'm with MemphisBamaDude on the Memphis teams. The Grizzlies just bowed out of the playoffs. Hard to beat a team when a ton of your starters are injured. They made the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs other teams wouldn't have so you gotta honor that. The Tigers? Geez. No comment.

I will say it's about dang time that my Cubs are actually playing well. It's been a hard 100+ years to be a Cubs fan. Maybe it'll happen this year.

Then again, it's the Cubs...

Roll Tide, brothers and sisters!
ChattTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.