Saban or Bear? Though Alabama fans squirm, answer may be simple

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If Saban wins his sixth title in 2016, we're talking about an accomplishment beyond historic. It will be his fifth in an eight-year span at Alabama. He will have won six overall (one at LSU) in a 14-year period. Bryant won his six in 19 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...though-alabama-fans-squirm-the-answer-is-easy

Having lived through the Bryant ear and now living the Saban era, I have to say "I am not sure." I think I will wait for #7 before making up my mind:)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
In the short term of what they both accomplished at Bama Coach Saban wins the comparison & in long term accomplishments of what they both did at Bama..That's still playing out as we speak..I honestly think Coach Saban will be our HC 10yrs from now & will be at the end of "The Process" around that time give or take a year..It will be a fun ride for us Bama Fans along that time..

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If Saban wins his sixth title in 2016, we're talking about an accomplishment beyond historic. It will be his fifth in an eight-year span at Alabama. He will have won six overall (one at LSU) in a 14-year period. Bryant won his six in 19 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...though-alabama-fans-squirm-the-answer-is-easy

Having lived through the Bryant ear and now living the Saban era, I have to say "I am not sure." I think I will wait for #7 before making up my mind:)
If Saban wins his 6th title and 5th at Bama, it's because he coached through the BCS/4 team playoff era. Coach Bryant coached through decades of the ultimate beauty contest. You couldn't get the best teams together short of an act of God. And the major bowl tie ups made it almost impossible to ever see the best teams in front or behind you. Not only did the BCS allow for 1 and 2 to go at it, it created that playoff mindset in the minds of the voters throughout the season. Each week we are almost playing an entirely different sport these days.

Give coach Bryant an opportunity to shape and coach his team for a two team playoff each and every week, have a polling system that is entirely geared for that alone and watch the dynamics of college football change as it does today. No one coached better for longer than coach Bryant. He just often couldn't get to the promise land from where he was standing, regardless of the polls. The bowl system was often rigged by fat cats in back rooms and we had to listen endlessly to how important they were to all humanity. What a crock.

Coach Byrant has done more at Alabama, for a much longer period of time. Saban can catch up, but he needs to be at Bama for the much longer haul.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's certainly a difficult question. Especially when you consider more than just the wins and championships.

Bryant was here a long time. He helped integrate the team and the university. His football success gave the state and the south something to be proud of. He turned some many young boys into great men on and off the football field.

Saban brought the school out of a prolonged period of football suffering. He's impacted the enrollment at the school (despite what he says). He helped the town heal after the tornado in 2011. He also turned so many young boys into great men on and off the football field.

How do you quantify stuff like that? How do you decide which of your iconic coaches is best?

#bamafanproblems

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
The problem with these articles is that the answer is clear, but only depending on the criteria you use. If NC is your measure, then Saban has a strong argument. He built two programs and he's at 5 NC in a shorter timeframe than Bryant's 6. But the counter argument is that Coach Bryant was this good for twice as long.

And while you can argue that it might have been easier to win 8-9 games in Bryant's day, the last two were equals that also had access to unlimited scholarships, so the overall schedule might be easier, but the top opponents would be harder. And I would argue that its actually easier to win a NC today than it used to be, not because the games or play is easier, but because if you deserve to win it, you are almost assured of getting the chance to prove it.

Coach Bryant had at least two teams that could/should have been NC teams, but were not given the opportunity to prove it on the field. And in those days, someone could win the title without having to play a top opponent.

So Bryant was good longer (so far), but Saban has been a bit better over the short term.

Ultimately, its apples to oranges. I would argue that they are 1 and 1A of the greatest college football coaches of all time, and you can put them in either order and I would be fine with it.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Well, let's not forget CPB was one of the fat cats rigging the bowls. He made the calendar when we were at or near the top of the rankings and the fat cats were usually happy to go along with his suggestions. Except for bowl contracts like Rose bowl. He did not always get what he asked for, Bama's sake but on occasion he did.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
If you had told me in 1982 we would even be asking this question, I would have called you crazy. I couldn't fathom another coach would come along and have similar achievements. Perhaps those that lived thru CFT's tenure felt the same way in 1946...I would love to know that, if anyone one on the board knows.

CPB was so larger than life, though. While I never met him, I'm still amazed by stories of his assistants rising to their feet when he entered the room. I'm impressed by countless stories told by his peers that reveal the sense of awe they felt in his presence. I'll never forget the images from his funeral procession, and still get choked up today when I think about it. Perhaps by the time CNS retires, he'll have that same impact on folks...only time will tell.

In the meantime, I'll marvel at the standards of excellence set by CNS, celebrate the wins, and mourn the losses. Roll Tide.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I think you wait untill CNS has retired. For some of us , he could win 10 national championships and CPB is still the "Bear". Who know when history is written in 20 years what will be said. I am so glad we have Coach Saban, but it like asking me to pick a new Dad when I am 50 years old. It just not going to happen for me.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I give the nod to CNS compared to anyone for 3 reasons: all of CNS NC's are undisputed and they were won on the field and not in a poll. Secondly, every NC CNS has won at Alabama he's defeated an undefeated opponent in the NC game. The combined record of teams that CNS defeated in NC games at Alabama is something like 52-0. The last one is CNS is 12-1 (IIRC) in championship games with the lone loss coming to UF in 2008. Those 3 stats are jaw dropping in themselves..

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
323 wins 14 SEC championships (one at Kentucky. That's Kentucky folks) One Southwestern conference championship at Texas A&M. 12 time SEC coach of the year. 3 time national coach of the year. Give that coach a 4 team playoff?

Coach Saban before he arrived at Alabama never had a back to back 10 win season in his career, at any stop. No, not even at LSU. Never had an an undefeated season before Alabama.

Going to take a lot more than a winning streak at Bama in the perfect storm to get it done.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So y'all are telling me that in ten years we went from a job nobody wants because they can't thrive in the shadow of Coach Bryant to a job where the guy holding it is mentioned in the same breath as possibly even BETTER than Coach Bryant/

give me more of these kinds of problems. Reminds me of baseball free agency - "gee, do I stay here and make $10 million a year or do I move across the country and make $10 million a year?"

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I believe CNS would out work and dominate any coach in any era of college football. I wasn't around in the days of of coach Bryant but I would put my money on Saban.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I believe CNS would out work and dominate any coach in any era of college football. I wasn't around in the days of of coach Bryant but I would put my money on Saban.
Thats the beauty of hindsight, and for those of us who were around in the Bryant era. Why even have this silly discussion its like we are eating our own. I know I posted earlier but in hindsight I wish this thread would just get deleted. We all love Bama football and thats all the counts at this point in time. 15 years ago if you read this thread out loud you would have been locked up in a psych ward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.