Link: All-Time Top 5 Bama QB's

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ridiculous post.

Both are Hall of Famers in any era. Athleticism is not a quality or trait that has only recently been developed. NFL scouts today would drool over Namath's arm or Snake's unmatched coolness under fire.

Greatness transcends time.
Namath weight was 200 lbs in college soaking wet......With his knees....he wouldn't have had the build to have dealt with the punishment.

"greatness transcends time" would work for Race Car Driving, Horse Racing, Baseball, Golf and MAYBE Pro-Basketball --

But, not for Football......the speed, power and size just would keep that from happening. Because using that logic, that's saying that John Heisman would be the best RB of all time....

I've never heard anyone suggest that.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Prince is a great example. I had to throw that in. I agree, I think Namath and Stabler would have been just fine if they were born later in life.
If Stabler and Namath had been born later in life, they likely would have played for Auburn or Florida State -- because they would have been kicked off the team for excessive drinking, womanizing and other assorted activities ;)

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If Stabler and Namath had been born later in life, they likely would have played for Auburn or Florida State -- because they would have been kicked off the team for excessive drinking, womanizing and other assorted activities ;)
I do believe Namath spent more time in exile than on the field.

Had to be a hoot to play for coach Bryant knowing no one was bigger than the long arm of the law.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Same as with weight programs, the mindset is different on that subject as well. I would not write them off as being drunks in today's society.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have no problem with the list. I didn't personally witness 2-5 play at Bama, but at Bama it has and will always be about the titles.

AJ left with three on one hand - two as a starter. In 2012 we do not win the title without his clutch game winning drives against LSU, which was the best I've ever seen after virtually doing nothing in the second half, and Georgia in the SECCG, which is one of the best Bama games I've ever seen.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I have seen them all play live except for Gilmer (who might have been the best)

I would go:

1. Namath (pre knees)
2. Stabler
3. AJ
4. Gilmer
5. PT

Namath and Stabler had more of a sheer will to win than anyone i have ever seen although they say Pat T. was probably up there too.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Namath weight was 200 lbs in college soaking wet......With his knees....he wouldn't have had the build to have dealt with the punishment.

"greatness transcends time" would work for Race Car Driving, Horse Racing, Baseball, Golf and MAYBE Pro-Basketball --

But, not for Football......the speed, power and size just would keep that from happening. Because using that logic, that's saying that John Heisman would be the best RB of all time....

I've never heard anyone suggest that.

So in your mind Namath and Stabler just don't compare to magnificent physical specimens like Tom Brady and Drew Brees, huh?

BTW, if you'll check I believe you'll find that the Heisman is not a trophy for RBs, it's a trophy named after John Heisman, the coach, not John Heisman the RB. Also, perhaps you'll give the RB stats of Heisman, I've never seen any.

One more question, do you reckon the pro scouts of today would not consider Gayle Sayers or Barry Sander worthy of a draft pick?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Nice to have so many to choose from and I probably wouldn't argue with most any top 5 that has been posted. But in terms of best all-time it is a no brainer. Joe Willie Namath is the only ICON on the list. The rest are "generational legends" and there is a difference. Joe to this day has unequaled star power not only in Alabama, but across the US. Be a fly on the wall at Denny Chimes pre-game and watch where the majority of people are wooing and aweing. Elvis like persona.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A lot of you seem to be including NFL play. If you are doing that, the jury is still out on AJ. But if you only look at college play, no one comes close to AJ, and I mean in all of college football history, not just Alabama football history. He won 3 championships and could/should have won 4.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A lot of you seem to be including NFL play. If you are doing that, the jury is still out on AJ. But if you only look at college play, no one comes close to AJ, and I mean in all of college football history, not just Alabama football history. He won 3 championships and could/should have won 4.
I think that is the problem, because going off that then Bart Starr would be the greatest because of all the championships he won at the Packers. Then you have those who use stats about AJ, but if you go by that then the argument can shift to "what if Blake Sims and Jake Coker got 2 more years as a starter" because both beat his single season passing yards record, and bot beat his 2011 passing td stat. So really you cant make NFL career and college stats the deciding factors because there are a lot of arguments that you can make for practically every qb had they been in x's situation. So its really just personal opinion. If I had to say it, then in my lifetime Jay Barker and AJ were the best, but probably my favorites to watch have been the last two because they were the underdogs. But I think from a legendary standpoint Joe Namath and Kenny are the best

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
I'd be hesitant to dismiss the old timers too quickly. They were great athletes...and had they played in today's game they would have had the benefit of today's training methods, today's high school coaching, today's film study..the whole ball of wax. Or maybe I'm just old enough to be partial to those guys...Even though he didn't have the physical tools of the others,
I still find myself wanting to add Steadman Shealy to the list...always one of my favorites

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So in your mind Namath and Stabler just don't compare to magnificent physical specimens like Tom Brady and Drew Brees, huh?

BTW, if you'll check I believe you'll find that the Heisman is not a trophy for RBs, it's a trophy named after John Heisman, the coach, not John Heisman the RB. Also, perhaps you'll give the RB stats of Heisman, I've never seen any.

One more question, do you reckon the pro scouts of today would not consider Gayle Sayers or Barry Sander worthy of a draft pick?
Not a first round draft pick. But that's because the game has changed.

And Brady goes 6'4" - 230 lbs.....

Brees is a throwback....sure, I'll give you that one. But his accuracy is insane....

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that is the problem, because going off that then Bart Starr would be the greatest because of all the championships he won at the Packers. Then you have those who use stats about AJ, but if you go by that then the argument can shift to "what if Blake Sims and Jake Coker got 2 more years as a starter" because both beat his single season passing yards record, and bot beat his 2011 passing td stat. So really you cant make NFL career and college stats the deciding factors because there are a lot of arguments that you can make for practically every qb had they been in x's situation. So its really just personal opinion. If I had to say it, then in my lifetime Jay Barker and AJ were the best, but probably my favorites to watch have been the last two because they were the underdogs. But I think from a legendary standpoint Joe Namath and Kenny are the best
Right, this all gets into what the criteria is. I posted another list, and neither list, neither one listed Bart Starr or Jay Barker. I can't come up with a criteria that excludes both so easily. Bart Starr was probably the best quarterback to come from the University of Alabama. He just happened to be hazed and have his Alabama career derailed. Jay Barker not only broke Pat's winning percentage record (I don't believe anyone else held it in between) and won a championship, but he had one of the best seasons in Alabama history when he was a Heisman candidate and won the Johnny Unitas award. So if you're going talent you say Starr and if you're going career how the heck do you leave off Jay Barker?

Everyone seems to include Pat Trammel, but really he does fit the single season accomplishment list better than the career accomplishment list. Yet, as you noted we're not really considering some other guys who had some amazing seasons. I went over this before, but the moral of the story is people just seem to be picking their favorites. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes defending the positions more difficult.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Right, this all gets into what the criteria is. I posted another list, and neither list, neither one listed Bart Starr or Jay Barker. I can't come up with a criteria that excludes both so easily. Bart Starr was probably the best quarterback to come from the University of Alabama. He just happened to be hazed and have his Alabama career derailed. Jay Barker not only broke Pat's winning percentage record (I don't believe anyone else held it in between) and won a championship, but he had one of the best seasons in Alabama history when he was a Heisman candidate and won the Johnny Unitas award. So if you're going talent you say Starr and if you're going career how the heck do you leave off Jay Barker?

Everyone seems to include Pat Trammel, but really he does fit the single season accomplishment list better than the career accomplishment list. Yet, as you noted we're not really considering some other guys who had some amazing seasons. I went over this before, but the moral of the story is people just seem to be picking their favorites. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes defending the positions more difficult.
I honestly think had gene stallings not got so dang conservative in the 94 SECG and let Homer and Jay win the game like he did against UGA earlier in the year, a lot more people would think Jay is one of your top 3. Jay and AJ aren't too far apart imo

Trammel gets a lot of love because of his grit and how high CPB thought of him. Bear certainly had more talented ones but probably no one that thought more like the bear himself than Trammel.

I doubt anyone will ever mention Scott Hunter because of what many say after meeting him in person. But the duel with Archie manning is one of the greatest qb duels of all time.

Then you have the category of what ifs... People like Blake and Jake who in one year makes you wonder what if they had more time?

But yes you are right, it's more about favorites. But there isn't a proven formula that can account for talent, leadership, and circumstance all at the same time and people all agree with the result

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As B1G said earlier, if you keep it to what they did at Bama, if NC's matter the most, it's almost impossible not to have AJ first, which is why I have not problem with the current ranking.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If this system is based on statistics and wins then probably the ratings are right, although I never saw Gilmer play. If you want to rate the QBs on their athletic ability, college and NFL careers then MCarron is not in the same league with Namath and Stabler and I saw all 3 live and in person. My personal favorite however will always be Pat Trammell.[/QUOTE]

Mine too, Gray. Far from the most naturally gifted ( for me that would be Namath and Stabler ), but was the embodiment of " winner" and " leader ". I also think he could be one mean SOB, when it was called for, from what I`ve read.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.