Looking Back 5 Years Later - April 27 Tornadoes, Tuscaloosa, UA Football, and State

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe this horrific event is a contributing factor to why coach Saban will retire at Alabama. After watching a documentary on this half mile wide F5 tornado make a diagonal perfect strike across town I cannot imagine what his presence and support would have meant to fans with homes destroyed and lives lost. With his personality, I am sure it had an impact on his, bonding, with the community. The 2011 team went on to win a NC. When he writes his autobiography, wonder what he will say about that. Just a thought. Coach Saban seems to have settled in nicely considering he just completed his 10th A-Day game. Press would have never believed that.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Re: Thought of the day - Niick Saban/ Family and the 2011 F5 Tuscaloosa Tornado

Maybe. Events and timing shape all our lives. Tragedy has a way of defining people and bringing out their true colors. CNS is no exception.

I lost a cousin that day near Tanner. It was difficult for me but it devastated my uncle because he lost not only a daughter but his best friend. (RIP Jan. You're sorely missed)

My daughter and grandchildren in Tuscaloosa County lost their home and the majority of their possessions. They've recovered well and fortunately the children weren't old enough to remember much of it. We retrieved them and brought them up to Limestone County as to limit their exposure to the devastation and sudden life change.

It's a date and event that changed many lives and families. And one I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

It's a date and event that changed many lives and families. And one I'll never forget.
I can imagine only. I lived in Tuscaloosa for 8 years and it's like my second home. Yes, tragedy defines people and leaves a strong lasting impression.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Saban has alluded to the tornado as something that cemented their emotional attachment.

I think it started with the 2007 A-Day game, and strengthened in the summer of 2011, and was set in stone after the NC that year.

Plus, now he has the Mercedes dealership in Birmingham, both children and a grandchild in the area, and his mother. He's not leaving to coach anywhere else.

Next stop is Lake Burton. My guess is 4-5 years. And yes, other schools will use that against us. Before, it was, "He'll never stay in Tuscaloosa." Now, it's retirement. He'll recruit through the noise, and we'll be fine.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

saban has alluded to the tornado as something that cemented their emotional attachment.

I think it started with the 2007 a-day game, and strengthened in the summer of 2011, and was set in stone after the nc that year.

Plus, now he has the mercedes dealership in birmingham, both children and a grandchild in the area, and his mother. He's not leaving to coach anywhere else.

Next stop is lake burton. My guess is 4-5 years. And yes, other schools will use that against us. Before, it was, "he'll never stay in tuscaloosa." now, it's retirement. He'll recruit through the noise, and we'll be fine.
45 years sounds good to me ;)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Nick Saban Reflects on April 27, 2011 Tornadoes Five Years Later

I started a thread on the subject, before this was written 2 days ago. I included your link and brought back to the top. In the Tidefans spirit of keeping a subject in one thread. Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve?

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Will never forget that day. Home in Centreville from my job in St. Louis. Watched it come into town on TV right at the time my wife usually drove down McFarland Blvd. on her way home from work. I agree. I think it did as much as anything to cement Coach Saban and Ms Terry to Tuscaloosa and the University.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.