Ole Miss expects to beat Bama now

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Honestly, I think that's been part of the problem with the SEC over the past nearly 10 years. There has been a focus on beating one team instead of each team attempting to become the best possible team.

It's like in golf, you're not playing the other golfers on the course, you're playing the course. Ole Miss has had the talent the past 2-3 years to really make some noise on the national level, but they've focused so much on one game that it's ultimately cost them bigger goals.
That's because CHF is a pretty good football coach but not a very good leader. Amassing talent he's done (with some peripheral support, it seems) but he's yet to develop that talent into a quality finished product. And he won't. Not at Ole Miss.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey OM, you can't count on poor play from Bama and fluke plays to eek out victories forever, just ask Auburn.

Worth noting that while OM has squeaked out victories over Bama the last two years, we've walked away with a National Championship and two more SEC Championships...

And since you're running your mouth:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I like what he is saying. He is saying that just beating Alabama isn't the goal, you are supposed to beat them and the goal is something more.

I just happen to disagree with him.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hey OM, you can't count on poor play from Bama and fluke plays to eek out victories forever, just ask Auburn.

Worth noting that while OM has squeaked out victories over Bama the last two years, we've walked away with a National Championship and two more SEC Championships...

And since you're running your mouth:

Absolutely -

Points off short field turnovers - 23
Points on fluke off the helmet bounce 7
Points on lineman down field play 7
Points on sustained drives 6 - only 2 field goals

By failing to realize that their victory over Alabama was more a function of poor play and mistakes on Alabama's part than beautiful execution on their part they walked out of BDS thinking they were WAY better than they actually were, hence the collapse and woodshed treatment by the Gaytors and Memphis.

A good leader does not allow this to happen.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I guess when you have great talent it's hard to be humble. I know LSU expects to beat Alabama every season. After 5 Bama wins it may start to sound a little like hope, but at their talent level, we know we have to play our best. Mississippi is starting to recruit like LSU. And with their coaching, it is going to take a much tougher mindset and different approach from here on.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
"It's almost expected," Speaks said. "It's like how Bama fans think they should beat Auburn every year, it's kinda like we're supposed to beat [Mississippi] State every year, we're supposed to beat Bama, we're supposed to beat LSU. We got to get over that Arkansas hump, but ... we're supposed to win now and nothing less is going to be taken."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...defensive_tackle_were.html#incart_river_index

This shows what beating Bama means. Ole Miss thinks they are going to win the NC because they beat Bama twice. Note that Ole Miss has not won even the SEC as yet. ;)
Overconfidence = we got 'em right where we want 'em

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I guess when you have great talent it's hard to be humble. I know LSU expects to beat Alabama every season. After 5 Bama wins it may start to sound a little like hope, but at their talent level, we know we have to play our best. Mississippi is starting to recruit like LSU. And with their coaching, it is going to take a much tougher mindset and different approach from here on.
TUSK, while I know why you might say that, I`m not sure I agree with " expects " , if they were to be absolutely honest. I`ve lived among them and while they can be insanely and irrationally optimistic and obnoxiously overconfident, deep down inside I would question if they expect to beat us every year. CNS is deep in their psyche, and I`m not sure if they`ll ever recover.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
TUSK, while I know why you might say that, I`m not sure I agree with " expects " , if they were to be absolutely honest. I`ve lived among them and while they can be insanely and irrationally optimistic and obnoxiously overconfident, deep down inside I would question if they expect to beat us every year. CNS is deep in their psyche, and I`m not sure if they`ll ever recover.

No, I don't think they have the belief system of an LSU. That only comes from historical success. But I hate to see this much talent going to their program. We have 5 teams in the west who are starting to accumulate top 15 talent. Whatever expectations they have, I don't think we're going to talk them out of it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I noticed that he doesn't say that Ole Miss is better, just that they expect to win this game.
This would be the equivalent of a player from a middling B1G team saying they expect to beat OSU every year. There's nothing really wrong with saying it but what's the point? Also, does anyone know the context of these comments? Was this a random player interview or??

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This would be the equivalent of a player from a middling B1G team saying they expect to beat OSU every year. There's nothing really wrong with saying it but what's the point? Also, does anyone know the context of these comments? Was this a random player interview or??
Yeah, I get it. If a player from Northwestern said something like this I would probably have the same reaction. But a part of me would still think something like, "I am glad that you expect to win because that is what it takes to win."

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I will first say that I personally don't have a big problem with what he said because I think I know what he was trying to say. However, it did rub me the wrong way just a little. I think the crux of the issue is him using the word "expect" as opposed to something like "believe." If this young man had said "Now, we BELIEVE we will beat Bama, LSU, etc.," I don't think I would've cared as much because he'd be saying that you need to do more than just be talented and show up to beat teams in the SEC. "Believe" conveys that you respect your opponent, but have confidence that you can beat that opponent. To me, when he says "We EXPECT to beat Bama," it implies that they have superior talent and can beat us by just showing up. "Expect" implies that they have somehow closed the gap, and even supplanted us as the premiere team in the West.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.