Ole Miss expects to beat Bama now

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I will first say that I personally don't have a big problem with what he said because I think I know what he was trying to say. However, it did rub me the wrong way just a little. I think the crux of the issue is him using the word "expect" as opposed to something like "believe." If this young man had said "Now, we BELIEVE we will beat Bama, LSU, etc.," I don't think I would've cared as much because he'd be saying that you need to do more than just be talented and show up to beat teams in the SEC. "Believe" conveys that you respect your opponent, but have confidence that you can beat that opponent. To me, when he says "We EXPECT to beat Bama," it implies that they have superior talent and can beat us by just showing up. "Expect" implies that they have somehow closed the gap, and even supplanted us as the premiere team in the West.
That's exactly my feeling as well. As you said, they seem to think that they can just show up and roll over us. That is why I believe they are setting themselves up for a mighty fall.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The difference is that Bama wins championships, OM doesn't.
And I grudgingly would take that for 5 more years if you could promise me that we will win 5 more SEC titles and 5 playoff appearances.

But yeah it's like the jets trying to talk smack to the pats about beating them once a year. For one team it's the biggest victory of the year, and for the other it's a game to learn from.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will first say that I personally don't have a big problem with what he said because I think I know what he was trying to say. However, it did rub me the wrong way just a little. I think the crux of the issue is him using the word "expect" as opposed to something like "believe." If this young man had said "Now, we BELIEVE we will beat Bama, LSU, etc.," I don't think I would've cared as much because he'd be saying that you need to do more than just be talented and show up to beat teams in the SEC. "Believe" conveys that you respect your opponent, but have confidence that you can beat that opponent. To me, when he says "We EXPECT to beat Bama," it implies that they have superior talent and can beat us by just showing up. "Expect" implies that they have somehow closed the gap, and even supplanted us as the premiere team in the West.
Good point.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well said. I think for me that hits the nail on the hand on this.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't recall if it was Jesse Ventura or Ole Miss who first said:

"win if you can, lose if you must - but always cheat."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well as the poster of this article I guess I should have put a disclaimer saying "I am not mad or offended by what he said." I thought it funny and presumptuous of him to say such a thing.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think the OM player made a mistake by specifically naming teams. He would have been better off just saying based on our preparation and hard work we go into every game expecting to win if we execute our game plan. Taking this approach solely expresses confidence in your own team. Nobody would have a problem with that. The problem is when he starts calling out teams by name. JMO..

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And to be fair, we didn't expect to have a five turnover game with one being on the opening kickoff leading to an easy field goal. Nor did we expect the helmet touchdown.
And to be fair, Texas a&m didn't expect to have 3 interceptions for a td either.How is that anymore out of the ordinary than the plays in the ole miss game? We can list illegal plays, lucky plays, and how you don't see 5 turnovers committed by Alabama all you want to, but it doesn't change the fact we lost to a team that we lost to the year before. My point was that all of our fans said the same stuff of how lucky ole miss was to have drake and Kelly hurt, lane Kiffin abandoning the run, and OJ not fighting hard for the ball all offseason last year, and were saying how we were going to get revenge. But it didn't happen, and all of the sudden a player is boasting about beating us and we are saying the same stuff from last year.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I expect to eat breakfast most mornings. That doesn't make my breakfast for me.

Really, though, I think this is mostly jock-positive-psychology-speak just being sloppily translated and/or sounding weird outside the athletic complex. Tip to the player: brevity is your friend.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And to be fair, Texas a&m didn't expect to have 3 interceptions for a td either.How is that anymore out of the ordinary than the plays in the ole miss game?
It's not necessarily different, but you don't hear Bama players running their mouths about 'expecting to beat A&M'. Bama can make excuses as losses are the anomaly, not so with OM.

Any time a player talks scoreboard when they haven't won any championships in 50+ years sounds just like Memphis after they beat OM.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And to be fair, Texas a&m didn't expect to have 3 interceptions for a td either.How is that anymore out of the ordinary than the plays in the ole miss game? We can list illegal plays, lucky plays, and how you don't see 5 turnovers committed by Alabama all you want to, but it doesn't change the fact we lost to a team that we lost to the year before. My point was that all of our fans said the same stuff of how lucky ole miss was to have drake and Kelly hurt, lane Kiffin abandoning the run, and OJ not fighting hard for the ball all offseason last year, and were saying how we were going to get revenge. But it didn't happen, and all of the sudden a player is boasting about beating us and we are saying the same stuff from last year.
Whew. You took my comment to the extreme.

Simply pointing out fans making those comments last off season weren't thinking "We're going to have to overcome this or that obstacle to beat Ole Miss."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

To be fair, Alabama scored non-offensive TDs all season last year. So no, what happened to a&m wasn't out of the ordinary. However, a pass off a helmet landing perfectly in the hands of another player would be considered out of the ordinary. Or an illegal play that's allowed to stand that resulted in a TD. Those are things that only happened to OM when they played Alabama last year. Alabama scored defensive and special team TDs in just about every game last year..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I was pointing out what happened in the game not to make excuses why we lost but to illustrate more that Ole Miss seemed to see the win as proof that they had arrived somewhere and failed to learn from the fact that they really had no substantial sustained drives. I don't think they figured that out until they played Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
So what? Don't most teams and their players expect to win every time they step on the field?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I would worry about beating Florida State before playing Alabama two weeks later. After playing Alabama, you have to deal with Georgia, Memphis, Arkansas, LSU, Auburn... That's brutal schedule for Ole miss.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Lol, finally win 2 in a row after not winning a single game in 10yrs, and all the sudden they own us, huh. Call me when they beat us 52-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.