Ole Miss expects to beat Bama now

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"It's almost expected," Speaks said. "It's like how Bama fans think they should beat Auburn every year, it's kinda like we're supposed to beat [Mississippi] State every year, we're supposed to beat Bama, we're supposed to beat LSU. We got to get over that Arkansas hump, but ... we're supposed to win now and nothing less is going to be taken."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...defensive_tackle_were.html#incart_river_index

This shows what beating Bama means. Ole Miss thinks they are going to win the NC because they beat Bama twice. Note that Ole Miss has not won even the SEC as yet. ;)

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
That is the attitude you want your players to have. They should go into games expecting to win. Reminds me a lot of Jonathan Allen's comment after the MSU game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
47-11-2.

I mean, 2 wins in a row is impressive, I'll grant him that. But it's kind of hard for me to ignore them losing 47 of the prior 58 games played. I don't know. Maybe 2 out of 60 is a trend.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That is the attitude you want your players to have. They should go into games expecting to win. Reminds me a lot of Jonathan Allen's comment after the MSU game.
There's a big difference in wanting your players to have a certain attitude and running their mouth to the media. Jonathan Allen's comments were given at a mandatory post game press conference after a national semifinal game. What's the context of these comments by the Ole Miss player? Seems like he's just running his mouth..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
"It's almost expected," Speaks said. "It's like how Bama fans think they should beat Auburn every year, it's kinda like we're supposed to beat [Mississippi] State every year, we're supposed to beat Bama, we're supposed to beat LSU. We got to get over that Arkansas hump, but ... we're supposed to win now and nothing less is going to be taken."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...defensive_tackle_were.html#incart_river_index

This shows what beating Bama means. Ole Miss thinks they are going to win the NC because they beat Bama twice. Note that Ole Miss has not won even the SEC as yet. ;)
they haven't even won the SEC West yet

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
He has reason to feel as he does, Ole Miss has won two in a row...Nobody else has been able to beat Saban two years running. The difference is believing it and shooting your mouth off to the media. If any further incentive were needed to beat Ole Miss, it just got delivered on a silver platter.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
He has reason to feel as he does, Ole Miss has won two in a row...Nobody else has been able to beat Saban two years running. The difference is believing it and shooting your mouth off to the media. If any further incentive were needed to beat Ole Miss, it just got delivered on a silver platter.
Didn't LSU beat us in 2010 and then 2011 before the Sugar Bowl victory? Not calling you out... I've seen this same "stat" quoted several times before. Maybe I'll go look.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Didn't LSU beat us in 2010 and then 2011 before the Sugar Bowl victory? Not calling you out... I've seen this same "stat" quoted several times before. Maybe I'll go look.
Yes we lost 2 in a row to Les Miles and LSU and haven't lost to them since. Perhaps our Rebel friends ought to tread more lightly? Nah... keep poking the 7 ton bull elephant.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Only 1 way to shut up this kind of talk and that's on the field. We'll see come September...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I noticed that he doesn't say that Ole Miss is better, just that they expect to win this game.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The problem is that they are focusing on beating Alabama rather than focusing on beating everyone on their schedule. Upsetting someone (who is having a bad day) does not get you to the four team playoff, beating the best when they are playing their best puts you in that conversation. Alabama has no "Alabama" to focus on, We are the singularity. We just focus on getting better and the schedule comes as it comes.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The problem is that they are focusing on beating Alabama rather than focusing on beating everyone on their schedule. Upsetting someone (who is having a bad day) does not get you to the four team playoff, beating the best when they are playing their best puts you in that conversation. Alabama has no "Alabama" to focus on, We are the singularity. We just focus on getting better and the schedule comes as it comes.
Honestly, I think that's been part of the problem with the SEC over the past nearly 10 years. There has been a focus on beating one team instead of each team attempting to become the best possible team.

It's like in golf, you're not playing the other golfers on the course, you're playing the course. Ole Miss has had the talent the past 2-3 years to really make some noise on the national level, but they've focused so much on one game that it's ultimately cost them bigger goals.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Actually LSU did beat us back to back in 2010 and 2011. Of course, a NC win against them (and 4 wins after that) made those losses have little meaning afterwards. It has been a drought for L5U since then. And seriously Ole Miss beating a team that has won the SEC in 2014 and the SEC and a NC in 2015 has little meaning as far as we're concerned. The more games you play (I guess we're up to potentially 14 or 15 games per season), the less the chances you'll go undefeated in a championship season. Sure, when we lost those two games those were painful but looking back after an SEC championship season and a National championship season, you could say we benefited from those losses and they look far less painful now than then.

I look at those losses now probably like Carolina looks at the Atlanta loss last season in the NFL.

If Ole Miss feels like they can beat their chest by beating us and then losing in grand fashion to Arkansas, LSU and Memphis State, I'm happy for them. ;-)

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That is one of the best descriptive posts I`ve ever seen differentiating Alabama and everybody else.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
To be fair, in his full quote, Speaks mentions Mississippi State, LSU and Arkansas as well. He's not just focused on beating Bama.

The full quote, from the article:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.