Link: Skip Bayless Leaving ESPN

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
With the news about May, Tirico, Bayless, and Nessler, its pretty obvious that ESPN is doing some serious cost cutting. Looks as though anyone there with a 7 figure deal is getting let go. I guess they can thank the LHN for their demise.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
He's a leach. Made his career bashing athletes. While some athletes come off as entitled they do at least put in the work and lay on the line. They are held accountable by their performance and wins/losses. Bayless, Cowherd and the like get to attack these athletes and coaches and make state their opinion like they are absolute fact without any accountability. None. Frustrates me to no end. If I was wrong as much as these sports personalities and weathermen, I'd have lost my job a long long time ago.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Read this morning that Fox Sports will be paying Skip in the neighborhood of $5.5 million per year for 4 years + $4 million signing bonus. Now we know why it seems all these tv "analysts" i.e. Galloway and Kanell are trying to see who can be the biggest gasbag..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Read this morning that Fox Sports will be paying Skip in the neighborhood of $5.5 million per year for 4 years + $4 million signing bonus. Now we know why it seems all these tv "analysts" i.e. Galloway and Kanell are trying to see who can be the biggest gasbag..
This is more true than you know. Look at content on television and in movies. When something works - even for a moment - it is regurgitated and sold back to you a dozen times in a dozen different packages. (How many CSI and NCIS shows do we honestly need?) What yields the biggest return on investment? What gets eyeballs? Once a trend is found, whoever can produce it is rewarded. You can see that trend all the way down to social sites like YouTube or Vine - each successful video a clone of another.

What you say is exactly right and means that not only are we not through dealing with Clay Travis, Joey Galloway, Danny Kanell, or Colin Cowherd - you can expect new faces performing the exact same act that they do - or worse - commentators you like skewing their rhetoric to becoming more bombastic and hyperbolic and confrontational.

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
He's the king of the sweeping declarations that never come true. Like how the Texans would forever regret passing over Johnny Manziel, how Tim Tebow was the next Brett Favre, or how Landry Jones would win a Heisman while leading Oklahoma to a national title.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He's just done the job he's been asked to do. If he and Stephen A. agreed on a subject then the conversation immediately becomes boring. So ESPN eliminates that possibility.
It's not rocket science. The networks do what they have to do to create controversy and attract viewers.
That's why there's a CNN versus a Fox News. Probably half the journalists on CNN are conservatives and half the journalists on Fox News are Liberals. They're doing what the network asks them to do. It's a planned format.
It's their job.
It's nothing personal.
sip

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He's just done the job he's been asked to do. If he and Stephen A. agreed on a subject then the conversation immediately becomes boring. So ESPN eliminates that possibility.
It's not rocket science. The networks do what they have to do to create controversy and attract viewers.
That's why there's a CNN versus a Fox News. Probably half the journalists on CNN are conservatives and half the journalists on Fox News are Liberals. They're doing what the network asks them to do. It's a planned format.
It's their job.
It's nothing personal.
sip
I don't think anyone takes issue with the format. Most folks on here don't go ballistic over "Around The Horn" or other similar show setups. Like you said, it's planned to be "confrontational". It's his particular brand of logic and debate that I find egregious. I also take into account that he's more than likely forced to oppose or defend points that he doesn't agree with. Even though some don't care for Stephen A. Smith (and I don't always agree with him) his logic is typically more sound and he's far more nuanced in his arguments - as nuanced as you probably can be in the 5 minutes given to attack or defend a point.

Small example is after the NCG when Bayless was given the task of somehow defending Clemson's loss by pointing out the breakdown's in coverage and insisting that the onside kick wasn't a turning point in the game. An unenviable position to defend, to be sure. But the brunt of the argument was "Alabama wasn't that good because Clemson had breakdowns in the secondary." That's common technique for Skip and it's why he needs to disappear.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Heck, I remember when Bayless was talking about the Kick Six and said, "Roll Tigers."

???????????????

It wasn't funny and probably ticked off BOTH fanbases of those that saw it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/trent-dilfer-espn/

Appears Trent Dilfer is on his way out as well. I believe Colin Cowherd was right when he said (last week) that ESPN swung and missed on their deal with the NBA. He said they overpaid to the tune of $400MM and weren't getting the results they thought. I tend to agree with that because I've noticed on shows like First Take, Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn they have been very NBA driven no matter what the hot news of the day or week has been. They are force feeding the NBA down people's throats. So Cowherd's assessments seems to make sense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I see a future where Skip does informercials and comes out saying, "I'm not an idiot, but I play one on TV...."

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/trent-dilfer-espn/

Appears Trent Dilfer is on his way out as well. I believe Colin Cowherd was right when he said (last week) that ESPN swung and missed on their deal with the NBA. He said they overpaid to the tune of $400MM and weren't getting the results they thought. I tend to agree with that because I've noticed on shows like First Take, Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn they have been very NBA driven no matter what the hot news of the day or week has been. They are force feeding the NBA down people's throats. So Cowherd's assessments seems to make sense.
I like Trent. He will land somewhere. He is the only superbowl wining quarterback that was traded after the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.