Why is Derrick Henry Not a First Round Pick?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing I've heard over and over that I haven't seen mentioned is his being tackled in the backfield when the blocking isn't just right. More than one NFL Network guy (mostly former players) said they watched film on him in college and he was tackled in the backfield a lot. They said they weren't talking about him not having any blocking but that the blocking isn't always going to be perfect. That most of the times in the NFL the back is responsible for making at least one guy miss at the LOS and going by his film he can't do that. His quick lateral movement behind the LOS is also a concern for teams.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One thing I've heard over and over that I haven't seen mentioned is his being tackled in the backfield when the blocking isn't just right. More than one NFL Network guy (mostly former players) said they watched film on him in college and he was tackled in the backfield a lot. They said they weren't talking about him not having any blocking but that the blocking isn't always going to be perfect. That most of the times in the NFL the back is responsible for making at least one guy miss at the LOS and going by his film he can't do that. His quick lateral movement behind the LOS is also a concern for teams.
I've heard the same things and understand that point of view. However, I chuckle when I hear an analyst say that Henry will struggle because he can't consistently make defenders miss in the backfield. Um, hello, if there are defenders consistently in the backfield during running plays then there are much bigger problems with the offensive personnel and/or play calling. Additionally, there have been plenty of running backs whose game isn't predicated on shake n bake and making defenders miss. Just a couple years ago (2014) DeMarco Murray won the 2014 NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award - I remember that season well because I had him in fantasy that year :). He rushed for 1,845 yards and 13 TDs. Murray is just about as straight line of a runner as there is. That's why when Murray was traded to the Eagles he struggled mightily in their system because it forces the running back to go east/west instead of north/south. I think that fact underscores the importance that Henry gets drafted by a team that runs the proper offensive style that suites his strengths. Henry is a bigger, faster and more durable version of Murray. There's a role for Henry in the NFL it's just not with every team. I think the fact that Henry is somewhat scheme dependent is the main reason he slides out of the first round..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've heard the same things and understand that point of view. However, I chuckle when I hear an analyst say that Henry will struggle because he can't consistently make defenders miss in the backfield. Um, hello, if there are defenders consistently in the backfield during running plays then there are much bigger problems with the offensive personnel and/or play calling. Additionally, there have been plenty of running backs whose game isn't predicated on shake n bake and making defenders miss. Just a couple years ago (2014) DeMarco Murray won the 2014 NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award - I remember that season well because I had him in fantasy that year :). He rushed for 1,845 yards and 13 TDs. Murray is just about as straight line of a runner as there is. That's why when Murray was traded to the Eagles he struggled mightily in their system because it forces the running back to go east/west instead of north/south. I think that fact underscores the importance that Henry gets drafted by a team that runs the proper offensive style that suites his strengths. Henry is a bigger, faster and more durable version of Murray. There's a role for Henry in the NFL it's just not with every team. I think the fact that Henry is somewhat scheme dependent is the main reason he slides out of the first round..
This. All the "experts" say he has a place in the NFL. He opened a lot of eyes at Alabama's pro day with his receiving skills. However, many of the talking heads (who are former players and GM's) say that he will have to be in the right system to have success. Which, I'm not sure that can't be said about most NFL skill players.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
My guess is simply the RB position as it relates to NFL draft.
Simple:
The NFL is now basically a passing league...
DH is not a QB, WR, or for that matter, in the last couple draft's, an 'O-Lineman'..
Granted he has more talent than most any of those positions in the draft, Elliott out of OSU is shiftier but can't see him running over those NFL Linemen or LB's..

Then again that's just My Opinion, and everyone has at least one of those!!!

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
You're right about Murray. He played for a team with a great offensive line that could use a back with his features. The point is, most teams aren't like that. Most teams don't have Dallas' o-line or offensive style. Dallas and Seattle are two off the top of my head, and most analysts speculate he could go to one of those teams. Listen, I think we all can admit we're biased in this whole argument. I love Derrick and respect what he has meant to this program. But RBs have such a high variance and short shelf-life that it almost makes sense not to take a back in the first round. Most of us, including me, thought Trent was as much of a can't-miss as anyone and look how that's turned out. If there are any doubts at all about a RB, I would think twice.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I watched the Sports Science clip on ESPN when it came out. The interesting thing to me was that he didn't have the fastest 40 time but he ran the first 20 faster than any other player at the combine. To me it is pretty important to get going quick. That is one of the keys to his success.
Agreed. However, his lateral movement looked downright stiff compared to Elliott. I think shiftiness / lateral movement are as important as speed and power in the NFL as the defenses are so much quicker than in college, and I think this is one of the main issues DH faces in the draft.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Simple:
The NFL is now basically a passing league...
DH is not a QB, WR, or for that matter, in the last couple draft's, an 'O-Lineman'..
Granted he has more talent than most any of those positions in the draft, Elliott out of OSU is shiftier but can't see him running over those NFL Linemen or LB's..

Then again that's just My Opinion, and everyone has at least one of those!!!
And has been that way for a decade. I think most of us realize that it takes an elite RB to get picked in the first round today. For instance, we will have one this year's draft it seems. I think Henry is an elite back, not a very good back. He will have a bum carry, then 5, then a bum and bust a 20 yarder or occasional house. I believe the Henry of the SEC will be close to the Henry of the NFL. He owns the HS and SEC rushing records. That is not a fluke.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Henry is not a first round pick because of the media and scouts love affair with Ezekiel Elliott. How Elliott is put above Henry is a mystery to me.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
While he may or may not go in the first round, DH will NOT make it past pick 40 IMO. He brings way way too much ability, work ethic, and character to a team to not get snatched up.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
I don't know if any of you made the mistake of watching the ESPN Pre-Draft Mock Draft last night like I did, but it was quite the show. First, Ohio State had their entire team taken in the first round. Ok, that may be a little hyperbole, but still. Anyway, by about the 25th pick, Bill Polian was having a fit. After every pick from there on, he said that the best remaining player left in the draft was Center Ryan Kelly of Alabama, and that nearly all of those teams needed a center to shore up their lines. After the final pick, he was visibly angry, and said that the two best players, Ryan Kelly and Derrick Henry, were being passed over, and it was a big mistake. It was obvious he really didn't care for the ESPN bias and their really weak justifications.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Henry is not a first round pick because of the media and scouts love affair with Ezekiel Elliott. How Elliott is put above Henry is a mystery to me.
Have you watched Elliot or seen his combine/pro day?

His lateral quickness, which as CrimsonAudio said is as important as speed or power, is arguably the best seen in the draft in years. The kid is also already a really good pass blocker, both fundamentally and practically. He can step right in and start, play 3 downs, and be a workhorse.

If you're asking who the best back in College football was this past year, it's Henry without question. If you're asking an unbiased opinion on who I'd take as a GM...it's Zeke.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Why is it every time someone doesn't think our players are the best NFL prospects at a given position there's a bias against us?

The NFL, ESPN, CBS, etc... have zero reason to devalue our players. This isn't Danny Kannell or Joey Galloway, who legitimately dislike us.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why is it every time someone doesn't think our players are the best NFL prospects at a given position there's a bias against us?

The NFL, ESPN, CBS, etc... have zero reason to devalue our players. This isn't Danny Kannell or Joey Galloway, who legitimately dislike us.

It's the same song and chorus every year. Most members here don't keep up with the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that. However, it gets tiring each year to hear about how every player on Alabama's team should be drafted before any other available player. I mentioned earlier in this thread the same thought that you presented. There's no reason for NFL GM's and coaches to have any bias towards any players, schools, systems etc. NFL GM's and coaches have lucrative 7 figure salaries. Their employment is contingent (mostly) upon winning games. Players win games. There's no bias against Alabama players. If anything Alabama players sometimes get drafted a little to high based on reputation.

Also, to stay on the point of this thread, being a 2nd round pick in the NFL is still a great achievement. Outside of the top 10 picks or so there's not a lot of money to be made by rookies anymore. Best case scenario for Henry is to be drafted at the bottom of the 1st or 2nd round by a playoff team. That way Henry will be with a good organization and have a better chance at helping a team make the playoffs. If Henry can do that he has a better chance to make some serious money on his second contract..

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
henrys style limits the teams that may take him meaning not every team will be willing to jump on him early. Add to that the low value on rbs in the draft. Conventional thinking is a 2nd or even 3rd rond back can be as good as a 1st rounder and that saves you a ton of cap space for linemen and qbs. He's as talented a player as there is in the draft but that doesnt always factor into where you get drafted its usually about demand and monetary value. I expect him to land at either Carolina, Seattle or maybe Atl but probably as a second rounder.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
From what I've read, reasons vary:

- Worried about his 40 time (a little slower than other backs)
- Mileage is a concern
- Didn't catch many passes out of the backfield in college
- Team needs
- Devaluation of the RB position with many teams going to RB by committee
- And the most interesting - the offenses teams use now operate better with backs that aren't downhill runners like Henry; he would need the right team to draft him

Frankly, this is what baffles me about the draft. Teams get hung up on specific players or positions and fail to see what a player like Henry might be able to bring to the team.
Derrick's 40 time was faster than the majority of running backs at the combine.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The one thing Henry has going for him is "Results" on the football field, he broke high school & college rushing records, that none of us thought would ever be broken, it seems to make him play harder to prove his doubters wrong & I have no doubt that will continue in the NFL cause he still has doubters..He's became the best RB at every level he's played on & I don't see that trend stopping now..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The one thing Henry has going for him is "Results" on the football field, he broke high school & college rushing records, that none of us thought would ever be broken, it seems to make him play harder to prove his doubters wrong & I have no doubt that will continue in the NFL cause he still has doubters..He's became the best RB at every level he's played on & I don't see that trend stopping now..
Timmy Chang broke records in college, and his NFL career wasn't any better than McElroy's.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Timmy Chang broke records in college, and his NFL career wasn't any better than McElroy's.
You make a very valid point & I don't want to take away from the awesome career he had under June Jones at Hawaii..I think Timmy Chang is a true "System QB" for June Jones version of the "Run & Shoot" offense, where they practically threw every down, and their running game was pretty much quick passes instead of runs..

The majority of those passes were short high efficient throws for 3-5yrds, then the small & quick WR's, would turn those short throws for big gains that inflated his passing #'s..What Timmy Chang did that was so impressive was his ability to read a D so quickly & get the ball to the WR he needed to, without that quick reaction from the QB, the "Run & Shoot is no where near as effective..

What Henry faced week in & week out during the SEC gauntlet was more impressive to me than what Timmy did at Hawaii..Henry may not equal his high school & college numbers playing against NFL D's, but, I sure wouldn't bet against him that's for sure..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.