Why is Derrick Henry Not a First Round Pick?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
According to the NFL's list DH was slower than 10 RBs...
For God's sake....o.k. TECHNICALLY, Derrick Henry ran a slower 40 than ten running backs.
Do you have something against Alabama football players? I got suspended for defending Kevin Norwood, because you said, "He was nothing but an average wide receiver"..
I submit to you, great mod..
Derrick Henry is an average running back who doesn't compare to the great whoever you consider to be a great running back.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Henry ran a good 40 time for his size. He's at least 20 lbs heavier than most of the other RBs on the list. I think if there was a metric that broke down 40 time relative to the players size that Henry would lead that statistic easily.

I just looked up a random players height/weight who ran faster than Henry. Josh Ferguson is 5"9 198 lbs. Henry measured 6"3 247 lbs. Henry's time albeit slightly slower is far more impressive when you take the size of player into account..

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Henry ran a good 40 time for his size. He's at least 20 lbs heavier than most of the other RBs on the list. I think if there was a metric that broke down 40 time relative to the players size that Henry would lead that statistic easily.

I just looked up a random players height/weight who ran faster than Henry. Josh Ferguson is 5"9 198 lbs. Henry measured 6"3 247 lbs. Henry's time albeit slightly slower is far more impressive when you take the size of player into account..
and honestly, he's trim and fit. I hope he stays that way.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wasn't going to bring it up :) But thanks. There's seven faster times than Henry's out of 20 running backs. Good post. sip
Seriously? There are ten back with faster time, nine with slower times. Where's the confusion?

Are you mistaking those he's tied with (and listed alphabetically)? Surely not...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For God's sake....o.k. TECHNICALLY, Derrick Henry ran a slower 40 than ten running backs.
Do you have something against Alabama football players? I got suspended for defending Kevin Norwood, because you said, "He was nothing but an average wide receiver"..
Derrick Henry is an average running back who doesn't compare to the great whoever you consider to be a great running back.
Maybe chillax?

You claimed "Derrick's 40 time was faster than the majority of running backs at the combine." - that's simply incorrect.

We don't hate DH, but there are legitimate reasons NFL teams might not consider him the best back in the draft.

Yeesh...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Maybe chillax?

You claimed "Derrick's 40 time was faster than the majority of running backs at the combine." - that's simply incorrect.

We don't hate DH, but there are legitimate reasons NFL teams might not consider him the best back in the draft.

Yeesh...
I agree 100% with ya Brad..We all hope Henry continues to shatter records at the highest level of football, out of curiosity, what is Henry's biggest drawback as he heads to the NFL..

Is it his east to west lateral movement at the LOS or would it be not shedding that initial contact at the LOS & he goes down from 1st contact????..Cause once he's able to bust through the LOS & he gets a full head of steam not many defenders has been able to catch up to him on the college level or get him down if he gives them that lethal stiff arm..

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I agree 100% with ya Brad..We all hope Henry continues to shatter records at the highest level of football, out of curiosity, what is Henry's biggest drawback as he heads to the NFL..

Is it his east to west lateral movement at the LOS or would it be not shedding that initial contact at the LOS & he goes down from 1st contact????..Cause once he's able to bust through the LOS & he gets a full head of steam not many defenders has been able to catch up to him on the college level or get him down if he gives them that lethal stiff arm..
Which is why - IMO - if he's on a team that has the offensive line, balance, and system to consistently get him the ball and to the second level he'll rush for 1K yds easily as a rookie.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Honesty, we all want the best for DH. Going to a team with one of the top 15-20 picks might not be it. He goes later in the first he'll be on a better team, period. He goes early to mid second, he gets paired with young talent, maybe an elite OL.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
My opinion that Eddie was the best of the bunch in 2012 was met with much scorn, and it proved to be true at the next level imo. Henry will perform similar in the NFL as he did against top SEC talent. Every 3rd carry will result in 7+ yards. He will be able to move a pile, and db's will not be able to catch him, and attempt to tackle at his ankles in fear of getting run over,. But we have wait to be proven true. It's the off season. I agree with you 100%. He will end up an elite back.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Use mass*speed to calculate momentum.

That reminds me of the 2005 Bama game. Croyle hit LeRon McClain on an out and up, and McClain had a full head of steam when a Florida safety flew in. McClain came to a dead stop, but stayed upright. The safety bounced off of him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My opinion that Eddie was the best of the bunch in 2012 was met with much scorn, and it proved to be true at the next level imo. Henry will perform similar in the NFL as he did against top SEC talent. Every 3rd carry will result in 7+ yards. He will be able to move a pile, and db's will not be able to catch him, and attempt to tackle at his ankles in fear of getting run over,. But we have wait to be proven true. It's the off season. I agree with you 100%. He will end up an elite back.
I can understand why bell was drafted over Eddie but not ball. The scouts were worried about his injuries in college and the steelers had plenty of views on bell since he was in Big 10 country. Ironically bell has played injured much more than Eddie in the NFL. As for monte ball, it just shows you that the Broncos are better at trading than drafting with the exception of Von Miller.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I can understand why bell was drafted over Eddie but not ball. The scouts were worried about his injuries in college and the steelers had plenty of views on bell since he was in Big 10 country. Ironically bell has played injured much more than Eddie in the NFL. As for monte ball, it just shows you that the Broncos are better at trading than drafting with the exception of Von Miller.
Funny how Alabama backs get so much criticism, yet we never hear how Wisconsin backs don't live up to the hype.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.