Why is Derrick Henry Not a First Round Pick?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
For God's sake....o.k. TECHNICALLY, Derrick Henry ran a slower 40 than ten running backs.
Do you have something against Alabama football players? I got suspended for defending Kevin Norwood, because you said, "He was nothing but an average wide receiver"..
I submit to you, great mod..
Derrick Henry is an average running back who doesn't compare to the great whoever you consider to be a great running back.
You seem mad.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Funny how Alabama backs get so much criticism, yet we never hear how Wisconsin backs don't live up to the hype.
Good point. Melvin Gordon was a 1st round pick last year (#15 overall IIRC) and he didn't do anything. Granted it was his first year in the league but there's a string of Wisconsin backs who seem to underwhelm..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thank you for pointing this out. Wisconsin running backs have been underperforming way back since Ron Dayne in the 90s. They run behind these huge OLs in college, against slow defenses in the Big Ten, and then are underwhelming in the NFL.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I agree 100% with ya Brad..We all hope Henry continues to shatter records at the highest level of football, out of curiosity, what is Henry's biggest drawback as he heads to the NFL..

Is it his east to west lateral movement at the LOS or would it be not shedding that initial contact at the LOS & he goes down from 1st contact????..Cause once he's able to bust through the LOS & he gets a full head of steam not many defenders has been able to catch up to him on the college level or get him down if he gives them that lethal stiff arm..
Lateral movement is a part of the second issue, making people miss at/behind the los. I think that's the biggest concern with Henry, along with him not being a 3 down back (pass catching/protection concerns).

The second of those is a non-issue imo. His skills weren't needed in college, and I think he'll be fine in the NFL.

The first concern, though, is why if I were a GM I'd take Elliot ahead of him. Henry's footwork on lateral moves is below average, but he makes up for it with such an amazing burst/acceleration that he isn't quite as reliant on it. That's why he seems to be boom or bust on runs. If he gets his initial burst, he's getting positive yards. If he's a step behind he's being tackled in the backfield. Behind a really good line (Cowboys, Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, and a few others) he'll have no problems. If he winds up somewhere with a bad offensive line, he'll have a tough start (like most anyone else).

Personally, I think he'll be successful in the NFL because he's one of the few RB'S I've ever seen that actually gets better after 25 carries. If a team feeds him it will be worth it.
Funny how Alabama backs get so much criticism, yet we never hear how Wisconsin backs don't live up to the hype.
It may be because I watch nearly as much NFL TV as College, but I've heard the criticism of Wisconsin backs. Rightfully so too, as they've yet to have a RB be really successful.

The reason you don't hear about it quite as prevalent is they've had 5 backs drafted in the last 15 years, and only 3 in the last 13 (James White, Ball, and Gordon). White finally found a decent role with the Pats, Ball was a bust, Gordon is still too early to tell.

We had 4 backs drafted in the last 5 years, so there's more to pick over. Though aside from Trent, all of our backs have already been more successful than the Wisconsin backs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The most irritating thing to me is that people act like Alabama backs didn't go to Pro Bowls. They did! As we saw from an article posted earlier, Alabama is the #2 school at producing top tier NFL running back talent. The only reason, the only reason at all people are criticizing Alabama is because of Trent Richardson. What they want to overlook though, is that while Trent has disappointed, Eddie exceeded expectations. If Trent Richardson had been the one who had been rookie of the year, and All-Pro, I doubt we'd hear much of anything.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The most irritating thing to me is that people act like Alabama backs didn't go to Pro Bowls. They did! As we saw from an article posted earlier, Alabama is the #2 school at producing top tier NFL running back talent. The only reason, the only reason at all people are criticizing Alabama is because of Trent Richardson. What they want to overlook though, is that while Trent has disappointed, Eddie exceeded expectations. If Trent Richardson had been the one who had been rookie of the year, and All-Pro, I doubt we'd hear much of anything.
Its more on how many "now" boneheaded decisions led to Trent Richardson being on the Browns and the Colts. The Browns wasted a top 5 pick to get Trent only to get rid of him early the next season, and the Colts traded stupidly to get him. Most of Trent's NFL shortcomings are more related to what teams went through to get him rather than his actual play (which is lacking as well).

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If Henry is what we think he is, he'll get paid eventually. A few years ago, getting picked early in the draft was a HUGE deal. The second contract is far more important to most NFL players under the current agreement.
Agree. And running backs aren't as highly regarded in the modern NFL. Most teams can get a good bargain waiting until later to get an RB..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Originally Posted by B1GTide If Henry is what we think he is, he'll get paid eventually. A few years ago, getting picked early in the draft was a HUGE deal. The second contract is far more important to most NFL players under the current agreement.
That is it. And this is the reason why top RB's like coming to a system, getting some carries early, and then only carrying the load for 1 year. If I was elite back? I would not want to be The MAN, as a freshman in the SEC. I would want to wait my turn, get my 1000 and 5+ a carry as a junior and would be happy as a 2nd rounder. We had a gap this year due to the loss of 3 quality 4 star backs, and Henry had to play the part of what has been a committee the past 4 or so years. RB's, like no other position, have tread life. You want to get to the NFL as young as as fresh as possible. Not the Marcus Lattimore way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.