The SEC make more money than anyone and it is not close

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The SEC makes a per-team average of about $14 million more in revenue than its closest peer and $12 million more in average profit after expenses.

And yes, that's the Pac-12 coming in with an average loss of over $1.5 million last year. It's difficult to attribute these numbers to one cause, but they are due in large part to the revenue numbers the Pac-12 Network is generating, coming in well below even the most conservative estimates when the network launched. The Pac-12 Network only has 11 million subscribers entering its fourth year, compared to the 66 million SEC Network (which charges a larger fee) had in its first year of operation.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ic-department-finances-sec-big-ten-pac-12-acc

The Pac 12 revenue situation is the reason I think they will try to work a deal with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. At minimum taking Texas Tech and someone else would open up the TV market. Yes Texas Tech would have to improve and I think they would.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the Texas deal still has to be a possiblity. The one big obstacle though is from what I recall Texas balked at the network deal the first time around. This is where ESPN having a long-term deal with Texas for the Longhorn Network comes into play. ESPN can leverage that into a stake in the Pac-12 Network. I imagine the pitch would be something like, give us a stake and we'll help you generate more revenue with your network.

But, that's still giving up power/share in the network to get Texas. That, along with taking Oklahoma State and Texas Tech as also-rans would be a big price to pay for Texas. They were willing to something similar before though but at that time the Longhorn Network didn't exist. So that's one big factor that the Pac-12 would have to deal with. The cost of adding Texas has gone up.

I suppose Texas Tech would be a reasonable addition, I'm not sure who to pair them with though and I'm also not sure that the Pac-12 would risk angering Texas or that Texas Tech is strong enough to break free anyway. It seems to me that Texas and Notre Dame are ones that the major conferences have to keep an eye on and at this point they all would have to debate if any other moves would be worth it, especially if they exclude the possibility of either of those programs.

Either way, I always felt like if this deal happens people in Big-12 country will have a big choice to make. Do they want to follow games being played out on the west coast, and maintain loyalty to Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, or do they look east and follow Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU and the rest of the SEC. I always felt like that sort of a move could erode the base a bit for Texas and Oklahoma (not to mention it could make the Pac-12 the most difficult conference in the country to play in, they're number 2 but adding Texas and Oklahoma would be no small thing).

One thing that this article is doing though is focusing on total revenue, now just what the TV deals bring in. The SEC still hasn't caught up to the Big 10 in TV revenue from what I can tell and with a new deal looming it's likely the SEC never does. So, this isn't just about TV in relation to revenue, it's also about putting seats in the stadiums and fan support, which is a strength of the SEC.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IF Texas and OK and little brother schools go to the PAC12 it would only be for the money.

If there's going to be a change, the SEC makes so much more sense. Culturally speaking Texas/OK is much more like SEC states than PAC 12 States.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, turns out Larry Scott isn't so brilliant after all.

He made the correct play, going after Texas, but didn't execute it at all. Of course, I don't think Texas ever intended to go to the Pac 12 in any event so perhaps Scott didn't have much of a chance whether he is brilliant or not.

But only the addition of Texas works for the Pac 12. And in fact, the best thing would have been adding enough Big 12 teams to get to 16, splitting the league into 2 eight team divisions. The old Pac 8, and then the Arizona schools with the 6 new Big 12 schools. Settling for Utah instead of say, Texas A&M in this scenario wasn't so bad either. In effect, you would then have two 8 team conferences with a ton of new markets and revenue and fans passionate enough to make a new conference network work.

But Texas wanted what they have now all along.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The SEC is big enough! If we MUST expand, then the North Carolina-Virginia area is the way to go.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If there's going to be a change, the SEC makes so much more sense. Culturally speaking Texas/OK is much more like SEC states than PAC 12 States.
Well, there is no place that Texas is a cultural fit for. I don't think the SEC worships at the Church of Bevo. That's the thing, Texas doesn't fit anywhere, but they are so rich and in such a big state that most conferences would take them. However, I certainly hope that ship has sailed as far as the SEC goes. The SEC is already in Texas, and the idea of adding Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC would only happen if insanity becomes contagious. There's no way on earth those two programs can fit in with Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and yes Texas A&M without a lot of pain for those involved.

The smart moves now are about money and not disrupting what you have. Nebraska is an example of a bad addition, football power in small state added to football power conference. Nothing good came of that except they could play a championship game. The best move? Texas A&M which we all know isn't on the level of Nebraska but so what? Far bigger state, far more potential in terms of what they can provide to the conference. Oklahoma=Nebraska.

Yeah, turns out Larry Scott isn't so brilliant after all.

He made the correct play, going after Texas, but didn't execute it at all. Of course, I don't think Texas ever intended to go to the Pac 12 in any event so perhaps Scott didn't have much of a chance whether he is brilliant or not.
From what I understand it was Texas that backed out of it, but a lot of things were happening at once.

The Pac-12 was going to expand with or without Texas and they had their sights on Utah and Colorado. So it wasn't their only focus but I still think they were aiming for the Texas deal.

Two things happened really. The SEC, which wasn't doing anything during a lot of chaos, starting flirting with Texas A&M, I was big on that, I always argued they were the perfect addition (while I said Oklahoma was a horrible one for the record). Texas A&M was supposed to be part of the Pac-12 deal, but one thing that irritated me is that apparently Slive in all his wisdom decided to flirt with Oklahoma as well. I always felt it was a good thing if the SEC could lure A&M away and snatch up the readily available Missouri, and if Oklahoma and Texas went out west, it only made that deal that much better for the SEC.

But... the SEC gave Texas A&M pause and they also might have given Texas/Oklahoma pause when Texas realized that bringing along their minions might not be part of the deal. I don't think they wanted to go out west without Oklahoma or Texas A&M. So, I'm not sure what was a bigger factor at that point, anything the Pac-12 did or just a more reluctant Texas. What I did hear though was that Texas did not like the network deal, but could they have used that as an excuse to back out?

That's not what saved the Big 12 though, the thing that saved the Big 12 was an overpay on a TV deal. The Big 12, on the verge of falling apart, after losing two schools, somehow secured a deal that rivaled the SEC's deal. That's nuts, but it happened, not sure if that makes Slive a horrible negotiator or just means they were willing to overpay to keep the conference together. Why though? One report I read claimed that some powers behind the scenes basically wanted the Big 12 to stay together so the deal was essentially done just to keep them from dissolving. Without that deal it would be hard to justify staying.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have also heard that there was a lot of pressure from powers that be behind the scenes to keep the Big 12 together. Even the networks wanted it. Overpaying the Big 12 to stay together was thought to be cheaper than paying for new super conferences.

I think Texas would have gone west without A&M, but not without OU and not without the option of creating their own network.

champions77

Scout Team
Sep 6, 2006
Norman, Ok
The SEC makes a per-team average of about $14 million more in revenue than its closest peer and $12 million more in average profit after expenses.

And yes, that's the Pac-12 coming in with an average loss of over $1.5 million last year. It's difficult to attribute these numbers to one cause, but they are due in large part to the revenue numbers the Pac-12 Network is generating, coming in well below even the most conservative estimates when the network launched. The Pac-12 Network only has 11 million subscribers entering its fourth year, compared to the 66 million SEC Network (which charges a larger fee) had in its first year of operation.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ic-department-finances-sec-big-ten-pac-12-acc

The Pac 12 revenue situation is the reason I think they will try to work a deal with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. At minimum taking Texas Tech and someone else would open up the TV market. Yes Texas Tech would have to improve and I think they would.
Not surprising. Absent an Oregon, and USC, maybe Stanford, that conference just does not generate much passion. Last of the five power conferences in having fans that give a damn. SEC most money, most passionate fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.