Link: Verne Lundquist To Be Replaced By Brad Nessler

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Have we really stooped to taking Clay Travis tweets about something "eventually" happening as truth? Is there anything else to corroborate this?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Differing opinions. I think he's one of the greatest of all time.
I do too. I know some people think of him as a complete fool and idiot because he got somebody's name wrong but he is one of the best of all time. He has been the voice of SEC football for approx 20 years and has been a staple on CBS golf programming and made the greatest calls ever at the Masters. For those who do call him an idiot because he made a mistake during a live broadcast I call you an idiot since you have made mistakes at your job. Think about it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I like Verne. I think he's an awesome announcer. Nessler is awesome as well.
I'll welcome Nessler, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for a 76 year old man who can still do outstanding play by play on national television for a major broadcasting company.
Plus the Master's--Plus basketball.
Verne is a GREAT announcer.
He knows when to speak. He knows when to shut up.
The best sports calls I've ever heard was Verne.
Tiger Woods chip in on 16 at the Masters...
Jack Nicklaus making the birdie on 17, winning the Masters at 46-47?
Youtube them and notice the perfection he has.
Pauses and silence are an art in the broadcasting profession.
Verne has it.
Nessler is incredible, as I said, but I will definitely miss Verne.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I do too. I know some people think of him as a complete fool and idiot because he got somebody's name wrong but he is one of the best of all time. He has been the voice of SEC football for approx 20 years and has been a staple on CBS golf programming and made the greatest calls ever at the Masters. For those who do call him an idiot because he made a mistake during a live broadcast I call you an idiot since you have made mistakes at your job. Think about it.
AB-SO-LUTELY. Thank you T.J....

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
This
It may sound cold-hearted, but I won't miss Verne at all. Honestly, the man should have retired about 10 years ago and I got sick of him screwing up stats and butchering names. Some people might call him lovable and grandfatherly but, to me, he always came across as incompetent. Having said that, I always liked Brad Nessler, so I am pleased to hear this news.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think Verne is at the point he needs to retire. I have no ill will towards him.

As for Nessler/Danielson, I love it.

I don't wear glasses so Crimson that I think Gary is bias against us, I think he's a brilliant football mind and an excellent commentator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Verne is one of the most polarizing figures in the business. Seems as though people either love him or hate him with a passion. As a younger fan, Verne was the sound of my childhood Saturday's. Personally I love him, and think he's one of the best in the business.

With that said, he's on up there, and it's probably time for him to move on before too long. Nessler is my favorite announcer in the industry. He's versatile, the consummate professional, and he's easy to listen to. I think he's the perfect choice to replace Verne, and I'll look forward to his broadcasts on a weekly basis.

In the same vein, Mike Tirico has bailed on ESPN as well and has been signed by NBC. Most likely scenario is that he'll replace Al Michaels on SNF when his contract is up in 2017. That is also a great hire in my opinion. Tirico is another guy who has big shoes to fill, but who should do a fantastic job.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Though I think it's time for Verne to ride off into the sunset, I will say some of my fondest memories growing up was watching Bulls games on the NBA on TNT back in the 90s with Verne paired up with either Danny Ainge or Doc Rivers. He was sharp, and he easily kept up with the pace of the games. He called a lot of those great 90s NBA games and arguably became the voice of NBA commentating in the wake of the Marv Albert scandal. Nobody called a great Michael Jordan moment like Marv Albert, but Verne was right up there.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Verne's definitely not an idiot. He's an Icon. Anyone who knows sports broadcasting to any degree can't deny that. But the tag of "Fumblequist" over the last few years is not without merit. Anyone watching and listening to the SEC on CBS (not just Bama) has to have noticed his errors. If it was just one it would be different. But it's multiple during each game. And he repeats himself much too frequently.

Ness & Blackledge are my favorite duo. But I think Ness & Gary will be a good pairing. It'll take some getting used to but CBS needs it IMO.

As far as ESPN? Don't care that they're losing the best they got in Ness. Fact is. Good for him!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Differing opinions. I think he's one of the greatest of all time.
The greatest of all time would do adequate prep work in order to better understand the game, familiarize himself with players' and coaches' actual names, and know in what State the game is being played.

I will grant you that he is an excellent golf announcer. He knows the game of golf.

He doesn't know football.

The way I describe Verne and Gary is at a bar.

Verne is the prototypical "crazy" uncle who is funny but a bit too loud, loves him some alcohol, and is a little dense to boot. Gary is a really smart guy who tends to be a little arrogant at times. Gary was a professional football player who understands the game well enough that he could possibly have been a decent coach. Verne can't remember the last time he held a football, much less attempted a pass.

Gary stops by the bar around 2:00 to watch the game which kicks off at 2:30. Verne has been steadily downing drinks since 10:30 - when the bartender let him in early because he was banging on the door.

After a couple drinks, Gary suggests - since the bartender has informed them that the speakers aren't working - that they should just do the commentary themselves.

The game kicks off - and the result is SEC Football on CBS.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The greatest of all time would do adequate prep work in order to better understand the game, familiarize himself with players' and coaches' actual names, and know in what State the game is being played.

I will grant you that he is an excellent golf announcer. He knows the game of golf.

He doesn't know football.

The way I describe Verne and Gary is at a bar.

Verne is the prototypical "crazy" uncle who is funny but a bit too loud, loves him some alcohol, and a little dense to boot. Gary is a really smart guy who tends to be a little arrogant at times. Gary was a professional football player who understand the game well enough that he might could be a decent coach. Verne can't remember the last time he held a football, much less attempted a pass.

Gary stops by the bar around 2:00 to watch the game which kicks off at 2:30. Verne has been steadily downing the drinks since 10:30 - when the bartender let him in early because he was banging on the door.

After a couple drinks, Gary suggests - since the bartender has informed them that the speakers aren't working - that they should just do the commentary themselves.

The game kicks off - and the result is SEC Football on CBS.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
That's about the stupidest post i've ever seen on Tide Fans. Crown or Wild Turkey?
Come on guy. My goodness.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Y'all consider this:

Lindsey Nelson died at 76.

Howard Cosell died at 77.

Tom Brookshier died at 78.

George Allen died at 72.

Jimmy the Greek died at 77.

Jack Buck died at 77.

Will McDonough died at 67.

Oh and remember that Skip Caray died at 68 and Pete Van Wieren at 69.

Then remember that Verne will be 76 before the season opens.......and Brent Musberger will be 77. (Corso will be 81).

Odds are we won't be enjoying any of these guys too much longer.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Y'all consider this:

Lindsey Nelson died at 76.

Howard Cosell died at 77.

Tom Brookshier died at 78.

George Allen died at 72.

Jimmy the Greek died at 77.

Jack Buck died at 77.

Will McDonough died at 67.

Oh and remember that Skip Caray died at 68 and Pete Van Wieren at 69.

Then remember that Verne will be 76 before the season opens.......and Brent Musberger will be 77. (Corso will be 81).

Odds are we won't be enjoying any of these guys too much longer.
and should appreciate each and every moment....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.