Link: Verne Lundquist To Be Replaced By Brad Nessler

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The greatest of all time would do adequate prep work in order to better understand the game, familiarize himself with players' and coaches' actual names, and know in what State the game is being played.
Well, I guess when you go to three different venues in three days across Thanksgiving and spent 7 Saturdays in Tuscaloosa, it's understandable why you wouldn't always right. But it's not like he always gets it wrong, either.

I will grant you that he is an excellent golf announcer. He knows the game of golf.

He doesn't know football.
He knew that you can run back a short field goal for a touchdown - and I know some ALABAMA fans who didn't even know that.

What's funny to me is that folks consider Pat Summerall a legend of NFL broadcasting - and yet he was ten times worse than Verne is.

"Favre lets fly......and Freeman has it.....Freeman is gonna go.....eighty yards for the touchdown.....oh, I beg your pardon, that's Driver. Donald Driver....touchdown for Green Bay."

When Verne makes a call on something insane, he reacts like a fan and amazingly enough while he issues corrections, he always manages to make sure on those calls that will live forever to actually get the right guy.

We pick on him yeah and sometimes he deserves it. Overall, though, he's pretty good

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, I guess when you go to three different venues in three days across Thanksgiving and spent 7 Saturdays in Tuscaloosa, it's understandable why you wouldn't always right. But it's not like he always gets it wrong, either.

He knew that you can run back a short field goal for a touchdown - and I know some ALABAMA fans who didn't even know that.

What's funny to me is that folks consider Pat Summerall a legend of NFL broadcasting - and yet he was ten times worse than Verne is.

"Favre lets fly......and Freeman has it.....Freeman is gonna go.....eighty yards for the touchdown.....oh, I beg your pardon, that's Driver. Donald Driver....touchdown for Green Bay."

When Verne makes a call on something insane, he reacts like a fan and amazingly enough while he issues corrections, he always manages to make sure on those calls that will live forever to actually get the right guy.

We pick on him yeah and sometimes he deserves it. Overall, though, he's pretty good
No...he's great. Overall, he's absolutely great!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
To me, Verne is the guy who came on Ch. 8, at 6:25 PM, to do the sports. At 6:30, he did "Bowling for Dollars".

He parlayed that into a nice career it seems. Don't watch golf, NBA, and when our game is on, I listen to Eli & Co. Whether he stays or retires will go unnoticed around here.

Wish him well, and hope he gets to enjoy his time left on this earth.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
To me, Verne is the guy who came on Ch. 8, at 6:25 PM, to do the sports. At 6:30, he did "Bowling for Dollars".

He parlayed that into a nice career it seems. Don't watch golf, NBA, and when our game is on, I listen to Eli & Co. Whether he stays or retires will go unnoticed around here.

Wish him well, and hope he gets to enjoy his time left on this earth.
I sync the radio broadcast with Eli up to the TV. I will watch the game and listen to their comments when I watch the game a second time. Hes no Keith Jackson ( but no one will be in our lifetime). Whats Danielson going to do, I bet he has not made a comment yet. They may bring Blackledge along to keep them together and put Danielson on pro football. As long as we have Eli let them play musical announcers.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
I don't necessarily think Verne was bad, I just think the game became a little too fast for him at his age. He commentary on golf is probably the best in the biz.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Y'all consider this:

Lindsey Nelson died at 76.

Howard Cosell died at 77.

Tom Brookshier died at 78.

George Allen died at 72.

Jimmy the Greek died at 77.

Jack Buck died at 77.

Will McDonough died at 67.

Oh and remember that Skip Caray died at 68 and Pete Van Wieren at 69.

Then remember that Verne will be 76 before the season opens.......and Brent Musberger will be 77. (Corso will be 81).

Odds are we won't be enjoying any of these guys too much longer.

Thanks for the perspective, Bill.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
All this time I cold have swore it was Danielson making me hit the mute button. Can't be healthy listening to any two announcers do the entire Crimson Tide season. As years go by there is a point of mental saturation where you keep saying, I've heard this before and here we go again. You got to believe it's not good for Vern and Gary either. They have to get tired of it too.

I like Blackledge and Nessler well enough from a distance, but what about the 7th or 8th time in a season? Maybe not so much.
I hear what you are saying but I like the consistency. I like that they have that familiarity with the program. They aren't just jumping into the job that week - they've seen all the games and know all the players (at least Danielson does) and can comment on trends they see waxing or waning. When Gary talked about the development of Jake Coker I knew he wasn't jsut blowing smoke because he had seen every game the guy had played in.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wanna know how good Verne and Gary REALLY are?

Five or six years ago there was a poll showing that EVERY SINGLE fan base in the SEC thought Verne and Gary hated their team.....even Vandy thought that and the Gators fans (keep in mind Verne gets paid by the word for every mention of Tim Tebow EVERY telecast).

You know what that means? It means they're VERY good.

Personally, I preferred Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfried but that ain't happening. Oh, and Ron is 74 btw.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I like Verne. I think he's an awesome announcer. Nessler is awesome as well.
I'll welcome Nessler, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for a 76 year old man who can still do outstanding play by play on national television for a major broadcasting company.
Plus the Master's--Plus basketball.
Verne is a GREAT announcer.
He knows when to speak. He knows when to shut up.
The best sports calls I've ever heard was Verne.
Tiger Woods chip in on 16 at the Masters...
Jack Nicklaus making the birdie on 17, winning the Masters at 46-47?
Youtube them and notice the perfection he has.
Pauses and silence are an art in the broadcasting profession.
Verne has it.
Nessler is incredible, as I said, but I will definitely miss Verne.
sip
Right on, Sip. Although he was prone to malaprops, he had a way of not letting his voice get in the way of the game. He complemented it.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
folks the article says "eventually" meaning probably not next year or even the next.
Not to mention the "article" seems to be based on a freaking Clay Travis tweet, as I mentioned earlier. How far have we fallen that we blindly accept Clay Travis tweets as truth?!

I asked yesterday for some corroboration, but haven't seen any yet...

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I still think his "...this ain't Kentucky" remark when we were playing Florida in 2005 is one of the funniest things I have ever heard on a sports broadcast. I like Verne and will be sad to see him go, but Nessler will be great.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Nessler is really good. I enjoy listening to Verne's mistakes, goofiness and personality. Gary and Verne do not bother me one bit. I did read yesterday that Mike Tirico was supposedly going to be Verne's replacement. The article stated Tirico was leaving ESPN. rtr

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.