Link: Verne Lundquist To Be Replaced By Brad Nessler

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I didn't realize it at the time but "strolls in untouched" was one of Verne's favorite sayings. I've been watching old YouTube videos of past games and it's always, "Ingram strolls in untouched" or "Henry strolls in untouched." One thing about ol' Verne: when he found something he liked, he stuck with it.:biggrin:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really didn't understand the dislike of Vern. I enjoy the games he does. Of course CBS does so many commercials but that's what pays the bills. I really do like Brad Nesler too, but I wish he was bringing Todd Blackledge with him.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I understand the dislike for Verne because he would get tongue-tied (Kudos for the Malaprops reference earlier, BTW) or come across as obnoxious. However, his laughter and his enthusiasm are infectious, and I'm not sure I've ever seen another announcer this side of Keith Jackson who could/can manage that. I'm in the group that really likes the Nessler/Blackledge combo, but I really think Gary is at least as good as (albeit slightly more annoying than) Blackledge, and Nessler would probably do a great job tying things together. It will be a much more buttoned-down affair, and as hilariously awful as Verne might say something, it would at least be hilarious and his goofy acknowledgement of the mistake usually makes it forgivable to me. There are definitely times when it feels like he and Gary are biased against Alabama, but as Selma said, when everyone feels like that it means they're a lot less biased than other groups.

I guess you could say he's the anti-Galloway or the anti-Kannell. That's worth a LOT to me!

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
I never had a big problem with Verne. I know he would get names, teams, and players wrong sometimes, but I appreciated the fact that he always seemed to be objective and genuinely enjoyed the game. I really like Nessler as his replacement. He would be my pick, too. I've always enjoyed listening to Nessler and Blackledge.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This thread has made me realize that discussing people's opinions of sports announcers is about as divisive as discussing politics and religion.

I've never talked with friends or other people about game callers and had no idea the opinions would be so varied and passionate.

Then again I only needed to look as far as my own opinions about Brian Griese to realize that others could feel the same way about any one of these guys. :tongue:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.