Link: Verne Lundquist To Be Replaced By Brad Nessler

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, I hate to see that. Warts and all, I always liked Verne. He reminded me of the slightly tipsy well-meaning and entirely enjoyable uncle at family gatherings.

Never a hint of an agenda, nor a malicious bone in his body. Boy, he could mangle some names, though.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Nessler will be way better, but I have to admit it makes me a little sad. I will miss ole Verne

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I'm not a Verne hater either, although he has given me a few chuckles over the years. Having said that, I do like Brad Nessler...I hope/think he'll do well. Hopefully he can develop a chemistry with Danielson...it would be great to see another "Ron Franklin-Mike Gottfried" type duo...they were great.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Well, it doesn't sound as if it's time for tearful goodbyes to Verne just yet:

"Brad Nessler has left ESPN for CBS and will eventually replace the network's SEC play-by-play broadcaster Verne Lundquist, according to a tweet from Foxsports.com's Clay Travis. Nessler, 59, will do NFL games for CBS until taking over for Lundquist..."

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
It may sound cold-hearted, but I won't miss Verne at all. Honestly, the man should have retired about 10 years ago and I got sick of him screwing up stats and butchering names. Some people might call him lovable and grandfatherly but, to me, he always came across as incompetent. Having said that, I always liked Brad Nessler, so I am pleased to hear this news.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Verne's thoughts??

"I'm pleased to announce that upon my retirement from PBS Sports, uh, the legendary candy maker Brad Nestle is going to keep carrying the ball throughout the SEC. We are hoping to add Alabama defensive coordinator Lou Saban to the broadcast as well, given how many games we do at Tiger Stadium in Tuscaloosa. The years have been fun and I look backward to a few more with my esteemed colleague and former NFL running back Gary Dickerson. So until that time all I can say is, "How doooo you doooooo?????"

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm good either way when it comes to Verne calling game on CBS, I'll kinda miss him, just cause he's been a fixture calling SEC games for so long..Gary would be the one I'd miss, he may ruffle some feathers along the way calling games, but, there's no doubt Gary knows football & explains plays better than any one announcer in the game..Pairing him with Brad Nessler will be awesome or I think so anyways..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've always said that his flair for the dramatic is unrivaled. His call of the AJ to TJ in 2012 was one of the best! Same for his calls at Augusta in golf. Remember Tiger at 16?

Granted, the action is faster and there are more difficult names in football, but when an exciting thing happened he was gold.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Look's like a lot of rats jumping off the ESPN ship. I like Verne too, but I think Brad Nessler is the best right now,and this is a good move by CBS. I also like Todd Blackledge so I hope he gets paired with someone good. I also liked his tailgating food reviews and his local restaurant visits in each venue.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Look's like a lot of rats jumping off the ESPN ship. I like Verne too, but I think Brad Nessler is the best right now,and this is a good move by CBS. I also like Todd Blackledge so I hope he gets paired with someone good. I also liked his tailgating food reviews and his local restaurant visits in each venue.
Same here - Nessler/Blackledge was my favorite crew at ESPN.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I hate that it breaks up Nestler and Blackledge. They have always been my favorite ESPN team. Actually, probably my favorite team across all networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The number of open mic episodes that Verne had and still kept his job was quite amazing to me. Seemed to happen often in Alabama - Arkansas games for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
All this time I cold have swore it was Danielson making me hit the mute button. Can't be healthy listening to any two announcers do the entire Crimson Tide season. As years go by there is a point of mental saturation where you keep saying, I've heard this before and here we go again. You got to believe it's not good for Vern and Gary either. They have to get tired of it too.

I like Blackledge and Nessler well enough from a distance, but what about the 7th or 8th time in a season? Maybe not so much.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
All this time I cold have swore it was Danielson making me hit the mute button. Can't be healthy listening to any two announcers do the entire Crimson Tide season. As years go by there is a point of mental saturation where you keep saying, I've heard this before and here we go again. You got to believe it's not good for Vern and Gary either. They have to get tired of it too.

I like Blackledge and Nessler well enough from a distance, but what about the 7th or 8th time in a season? Maybe not so much.
I dunno - Eli & Phil never get old to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.