Link: Verne Lundquist To Be Replaced By Brad Nessler

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That's about the stupidest post i've ever seen on Tide Fans. Crown or Wild Turkey?
Come on guy. My goodness.

Well right back at you, feller!

To me it is utterly incomprehensible how somehow could enjoy listening to, much less dub as "greatest", an announcer who is seemingly constantly behind the action, has to be corrected by his partner around half the time he attempts to make a "football observation" about the game, and literally makes dozens of mistakes per game - regarding everything from which player(s) are involved in a play to players' and coaches' actual names to which team has the ball to, astoundingly, even in which venue the game is being played.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

To me it is utterly incomprehensible how somehow could enjoy listening to, much less dub as "greatest", an announcer who is seemingly constantly behind the action, has to be corrected by his partner around half the time he attempts to make a "football observation" about the game, and literally makes dozens of mistakes per game - regarding everything from which player(s) are involved in a play to players' and coaches' actual names to which team has the ball to, astoundingly, even in which venue the game is being played.
Agree completely. He used to be one of the greatest ever, but he's just too old now. That's all there is to it. I remember him referring to Rohan Davey as 6'5", 265 yards. Yes, "yards". And that was 15 years ago. He needs to retire.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It seems you had your red pen out during games. Do you remember the scores?

Yes, he makes mistakes but I'm not going to let him calling a guy by the wrong name effect how I enjoy the game. The other 98% of the broadcast was pure classic Verne with great, energetic calls.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Verne like all great announcers had the knack to get you emotionally tied up in the game when a pivotal moment of the game happens..Keith Jackson had his "Whoa Nelle" catchphrase & Verne had his "Oh My Gosh" or "Yes Sir" moments in calling SEC Football Games..I will miss those moments with Verne actually..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
To me, Verne is the guy who came on Ch. 8, at 6:25 PM, to do the sports. At 6:30, he did "Bowling for Dollars".

He parlayed that into a nice career it seems. Don't watch golf, NBA, and when our game is on, I listen to Eli & Co. Whether he stays or retires will go unnoticed around here.

Wish him well, and hope he gets to enjoy his time left on this earth.
You probably remember him & Brad Sham on the Cowboys radio network

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't dislike Verne (he'd probably be a very interesting person to sit and talk to) but it's time, in my honest opinion, for him to go while he is still respected by his peers (Lee Corson is another that needs to retire but that's for another thread). Nessler is a good one as he's pretty knowledgeable and doesn't seem to have an "agenda".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am glad Verne called so many of our games. Much better than us hating whoever does our games on ESPNU because we see them seven times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I turned on The Masters a few weeks ago, and realized that Verne at the 16th just fit.
When he's gone..he'll never be replaced. His calls on 16 should be archived. Every shot. I don't understand people anymore, and their total lack of respect for long time veterans in the broadcasting industry.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
He is humorously aggravating at times with all the stuff listed by other posters, but overall he is a good broadcaster with a great voice for it. Also at times he makes me laugh. Like the time we were playing Texas A/M and their QB threw a pick six and Verne stated that was his 3rd touchdown pass of the year..lol:tongue:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.