Draft Story in Wall Street Journal - interesting tidbit on two Bama defensive linemen

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
This article reminds me of the movie about the Oakland Athletics hire of a stats guy . . . Robinson and Reed are the only two Bama players mentioned and they are noted under Five Risky First-Round Picks

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-data-scientist-dissects-the-2016-nfl-draft-1461793878
Well his article and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days at a Starbucks. Just one more reason I quit watching the Non Football League 15 years ago and dont miss it at all.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I tend to err on the side that A'Shawn just had a bad NFL Combine. He only had a 26" vertical when they tested him, but we all know from the LSU game that his vertical is MUCH more than 26".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A'shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed are risk first round picks because both project as 2-gap nose tackles in the NFL...Reed has some versatility and could be a 34 DE on a team that doesn't need a lot of pass rush from their end.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A few Saturdays ago I heard Kiper on his morning show mention Reed and A'Shawn along with a few other players when a caller asked him the first rounders most like to be busts. He reasoned it because they didn't get sacks at Alabama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A'shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed are risk first round picks because both project as 2-gap nose tackles in the NFL...Reed has some versatility and could be a 34 DE on a team that doesn't need a lot of pass rush from their end.
A few Saturdays ago I heard Kiper on his morning show mention Reed and A'Shawn along with a few other players when a caller asked him the first rounders most like to be busts. He reasoned it because they didn't get sacks at Alabama.
I think the biggest perceived risk with Reed and Robinson is, as you say, their lack of pass rush production in college. That doesn't mean that they can't rush the passer but they haven't proven that they can. Most defensive lineman taken in the 1st round are good pass rushers. It's hard to justify a first round pick on a run stopping or space eating defensive tackle considering the state of the NFL which is a passing league..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I tend to err on the side that A'Shawn just had a bad NFL Combine. He only had a 26" vertical when they tested him, but we all know from the LSU game that his vertical is MUCH more than 26".

Yes this video shows me he is woefully "un-athletic". Obviously a program written by a bunch of wonky nerds who have never watched a down of football.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yes this video shows me he is woefully "un-athletic". Obviously a program written by a bunch of wonky nerds who have never watched a down of football.
Then "knock" on A'Shawn doesn't have anything to do with his athletic ability or at least I haven't heard any talk about questioning his athletic ability. The negatives about A'Shawn are that he plays to upright which causes him to not properly use leverage. He got away that in college but understanding and using leverage (playing low) is one of the most important traits of a NFL defensive lineman. Also, there's been a lot of talk about his motor running hot and cold meaning he doesn't appear to give optimal effort consistently..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Then "knock" on A'Shawn doesn't have anything to do with his athletic ability or at least I haven't heard any talk about questioning his athletic ability. The negatives about A'Shawn are that he plays to upright which causes him to not properly use leverage. He got away that in college but understanding and using leverage (playing low) is one of the most important traits of a NFL defensive lineman. Also, there's been a lot of talk about his motor running hot and cold meaning he doesn't appear to give optimal effort consistently..
Pulled directly from that article
A'Shawn Robinson
DT, Alabama
Finished in the bottom 50th percent in every key athletic metric among interior linemen.
I wonder how many interior lineman that finished in this guys top 50% of metrics could pull that off?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.