Alexis Bloomer: "Dear Elders, I'm sorry"

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Being married to a middle school teacher................

You could say the failures of the modern educational system has some of its roots in the parents meddling and coddling their precious little snow flakes.

One outraged parent, demanding a sit-down, as his precious little snow flake was deemed ineligible to be a cheerleader.......................

Suddenly backed down, when The Boss sent him a list of all the assignments that were never turned in. As in all of them, since January.

The cheerleader adviser was glad someone got the parent to back down, as they didn't want that brat back on the squad. (I asked why if they didn't want her back why didn't they take care of it, and reject her. Turns out some committee decides who is on the squad, and the decision is made using a rubric. No wonder they feel entitled.)

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
Alexis Bloomer: "Dear Elders, I'm sorry"

They have been charged to prosecute the longest war in American history and have done so honorably. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Some of the ones my kids used to bring home would get annoyed with me because they said I insisted on them "factualizing" what they said.
They were annoyed when I asked them to produce facts to back up their statements.
Yup, that brings up another generalization that I believe is accurate. Like anyone in their age bracket (especially the good hearted ones) they can be manipulated; are prone to doing things based on emotion, a sense of justice. And yes, like anyone in their age bracket there are those that can be manipulated based on selfishness. I don't think that is inconsistent with my other generalization i.e. If someone is genuinely selfish they seem to be able to put up with that much more than someone who is trying to appear unselfish but is not.

Everyone is subject to this to some level. Part of what I am saying in the first generalization is that they are very good at detecting whether or not you practice what you preach. If they detect hypocrisy (and their detector is hyper sensitive) at all you will be rejected out of hand and quickly, in general much more quickly than the other generations still around.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm not a fan of Ana Kasparian in general but I think she does a pretty good job here

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/uncovering-the-stupidity-of-the-latest-anti-millennial-rant/

If you were born between 1985 and 1996, Texan Alexis Bloomer believes you’re a whiny, lazy and entitled pain in the ....

Bloomer’s viral Facebook video harshly criticizing millennials is close to the most moronic thing I’ve seen this week. That’s a pretty strong statement considering the nonsense Donald Trump continues to spew on the campaign trail.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Read her "retort".

Yeah, my generation had it easy. Ever hear of Viet Nam?

The kids don't make the kind of money others do.............wanna guess how many folks my age, all with at least one degree, are unemployed, and unemployable? "We can't find Americans to fill these high-tech jobs." Probably because you already fired us.

And the burden of student loans..............oh, poor babies............not one forced them to go to college, to get a useless degree, that leads to being unemployed. And the cost? Who runs the colleges? Yeah, the folks who were the hippie Bohemian deadbeats. Wasn't folks like me, even though they are from my generation.

Well, I don't know any "millennials", so I can not comment on them. But if you think my generation has it made.............hate to tell you, it isn't so. Yes, some have done well. Others, well, we made the mistake of getting "STEM" degrees. And they wonder why the latest generation doesn't want to study those fields. Could it be they figured out what their future would have been. So they make the worse mistake of studying something totally useless! Guess we forced them to do that.

(On a diversionary note............around 20 years ago, the trade journals were decrying the "engineering shortage". When you dug underneath the surface, there really wasn't any shortage, as a lot of us were already unemployed! It was merely a projected shortage of engineering students, in the future. Looks like it was a self-fulfilling prophesy.)

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
This is just my opinion, but comparing the home that I was raised in to those of my students that I've had in the past and have currently teaching high school, I can't help but think that how much parents reinforce (or do not reinforce) lessons learned at home is vastly underrated, or in some administrative circles, flat out ignored. My parents did support me financially for school, and impressed upon me how important it was to get good grades, go to college, and become a productive member of society, but that message was also being told at school. A specific example I can give is how I talk. I was born 50% deaf, but my parents didn't find out until after a hearing test was given when I was two years old. Immediately, I received my first pair of hearing aids, started working with a speech pathologist (which continued until I was in sixth grade), and my parents reinforced those lessons at home - even if it meant getting into an argument over how I said something versus how it was supposed be spoken. Nowadays, all speech pathologists are very surprised when they hear me speak and see that I've had hearing aids as long as I have worn them.

I'm not sure, one way or the other, if millenials are all that different than my generation (early to mid-1980s), or previous generations post-WWII. But, I do have to present my lessons and the value of those lessons differently. When I was growing up, we were still raised on the point doing something simply because it's always been done that way and I (authority) told you to do it. Now, you really have to be able to show the reasoning beyond simply authority. So, to a student who doesn't want to do his schoolwork, I show that he signed a behavior contract in my classroom, show that the work he turns in is being graded, and the work he is doing is directly applicable to the skills/characteristics that future employers are looking for. I have found that for most students, if I'm effective in doing that, then really don't have a problem doing what I ask them to do. They do question a lot, but the onus is on us to effectively communicate what we're doing and why we're doing it.

One thing that I do believe has failed the millenials, particularly those that come from well-to-do communities as well as those that live in poverty, is the lack of enforcement on improper behavior or actions. There's a large number of young people who haven't experienced failure or consequences, and thus, given the opportunity to respond to that failure/consequence, or at least how to deal with adversity in a positive, constructive way. I'm extremely thankful for all of the financial support my parents gave me through the end of graduate school, but that also meant by age 25 or 26, I didn't necessarily know how to keep a monthly budget, how to prioritize money, how to save money, etc. I did have a false idea that since life was relatively easy financially when I was growing up, that's how life would be when I got married. Now, I'm a firm believer that adversity isn't necessarily a bad thing for the all of us to go through, but a lot of my students can't even deal with Google not giving them the exact search result in the 3-5 results, let alone what to do when they have a bad grade or lose job. That's scary, and I'm not sure that as a teacher, I'll be able to fully help them learn that without help at home.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.