Question: Does college football need a commissioner? (Nick Saban and David Shaw think so)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Shaw - "When we get to a point where we can normalize our lives as Power 5 college football," Shaw said, "then you'd love to have a committee and then on top of that, a commissioner, someone who doesn't work for anybody other than college football. It would make the absolute most sense. We're no longer complete and separate entities. We're all feeding into one system."

Saban - "It would be good if there was somebody, and I don't know who, but somebody that looked at the game from 1,000 feet," Saban said. "Not as an AD. Not as a conference commissioner. Not as an offensive guy or a defensive guy, but somebody who's looking at it from the entire scope. It's not what's best for the SEC or the Big Ten or the Pac-12, but what's best for the game. That way, there's no self-interest."

Article - http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15412486/does-college-football-need-commissioner

Thoughts?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Rodger Goodell proves to me that a man with too much power over football would water down the sport. So my answer is no, unless there are better ways to limit his authority than the NFL does, which I think there isn't since there is no real PA program.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Absolutely no affiliation with a university, totally unbiased and capable of seeing the game at a 1000 feet. Has such a person ever been hatched, morphed, or otherwise schemed up in our college football universe?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Rodger Goodell proves to me that a man with too much power over football would water down the sport. So my answer is no, unless there are better ways to limit his authority than the NFL does, which I think there isn't since there is no real PA program.
It would depend on how much power the person has. In Goodell's case, the owners (and players through the CBA) have given him more power than he should.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It would depend on how much power the person has. In Goodell's case, the owners (and players through the CBA) have given him more power than he should.
While there is truth that concussions have long term effects, how Goodell handled it to start with (this being before the CBA in 2011) should've been an indication of how much one man can water down the game. Whether you agree or disagree with the Brady ruling, its hard to see it as anything but too much power at this point. I really think the CFP committee is a telling sign that we don't need anymore people with exclusive powers in the sport.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He would basically be a glorified lobbyist- petitioning with each conference to get votes for his ideas to float or dealing with their multi-million dollar rebellions.

So basically the question is does anyone out there mind having a throbbing migraine 24/7 for a six-figure salary? At the end end of 10 years you can take up an analyst position with a sports network and never be bothered again.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Absolutely no affiliation with a university, totally unbiased and capable of seeing the game at a 1000 feet. Has such a person ever been hatched, morphed, or otherwise schemed up in our college football universe?
That was my first thought,

and this was my second.

As Coach Saban said, "It would be great ..." to have that. However, I am not sure that having that is possible.

Even if that perfect person for the job was found, it would be easy to either give too much power to the position, or the person would have a difficult time dealing with the individual conference commissioners. That balancing act will be difficult if not impossible. IMO I would rather have the conference commissioners work together with a vested interest in their conference.

Based on how fan bases act toward just about everyone, there would be constant complaints and perceptions even when actions are obviously not based on a bias. Every decision would be doubted and second guessed.

I just don't see it working in this environment.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Shaw - "When we get to a point where we can normalize our lives as Power 5 college football," Shaw said, "then you'd love to have a committee and then on top of that, a commissioner, someone who doesn't work for anybody other than college football. It would make the absolute most sense. We're no longer complete and separate entities. We're all feeding into one system."

Saban - "It would be good if there was somebody, and I don't know who, but somebody that looked at the game from 1,000 feet," Saban said. "Not as an AD. Not as a conference commissioner. Not as an offensive guy or a defensive guy, but somebody who's looking at it from the entire scope. It's not what's best for the SEC or the Big Ten or the Pac-12, but what's best for the game. That way, there's no self-interest."

Article - http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15412486/does-college-football-need-commissioner

Thoughts?
I don't like it. I think this idea is based on some kind of idealization that doesn't really exist. This could only be a good idea if there were really one body, one giant league with some form of nation-wide profit-sharing, so that there really was one common interest and a person who had "no self-interest" could actually be acting in the interest of all. Since no common system of mutual benefit currently exists, this commissioner would be a head without a body.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Another question is will this "commissioner" have exclusive punitive powers, or is just there to be a voice to the 5 main conferences? Punitive powers make this who situation stink worse than the status quo. If you are sick of auburn offense rules get used to them because 70% or more of the nation enjoys high scoring games. And you could also send programs back to the Stone Age for the simplest infractions

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Scarbinsky joined the conversation today...

Are you sure you want a college football commissioner?

Let me get this straight. No one seems to like NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, but some of the biggest names in college football think their sport needs a commissioner of its own.

Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, David Shaw and Will Muschamp are just a few prominent voices supporting the idea that's begun to gain some traction.

"It would be good if there was somebody, and I don't know who, but somebody that looked at the game from 1,000 feet," Saban told ESPN.com. "Not as an AD. Not as a conference commissioner. Not as an offensive guy or a defensive guy, but somebody who's looking at it from the entire scope.

"It's not what's best for the SEC or the Big Ten or the Pac-12, but what's best for the game. That way, there's no self-interest."

Muschamp agreed.

"I think it's a great idea," the South Carolina coach said. "I think somebody needs to do what's best for college football. Right now, obviously, the commissioners and coaches are going to do what's best for their universities or their leagues. It's something I've supported for a long time."

The idea sounds especially enticing in the wake of national legislative bungling on everything from the ill-fated attempt to sneak a 10-second rule in the side door to the satellite camp circus, which got shut down then quickly reopened for business from here to Australia.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am against it for all the reasons brought out already so I won't repeat them. BUT with the NCAA being the total inept and STUPID body it has become I would welcome a Commissioner just for the reason it would have to be better than what we have already.

How inept is any organization who makes a rule one month and the cancels it the next? It shows they are simply STUPID and made the rule without much consideration or investigation. "We rule by trial and error" should be the NCAA motto.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Bring in some New York guy....one who is already wealthy. One that has success in business. One that doesn't mind ticking people off. One that has no affiliation with a major conference school.

One that might be available for a new challenge come December.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't usually like to align myself with Scarbinksy's logic, but he has a really valid point when he basically said, "It's all well and good to say 'We need an autonomous commissioner who does the best thing for college football.' Most people probably like the sound of that. But the reality is that the devil is in the details. How all this works and what powers and responsibilities he has and who he is accountable to will determine whether this is a good idea or not."

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I believe a commissioner has been good for MLB. You are comparing owners to AD's and conference commissioners so it's not that big of a stretch. Surely a commissioner would do something about Texas calling all the shots in the Big 12.

A rules committee should still determine the rules.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.