Alabama Assistant Bo Davis leaving over inquiry into possible recruiting violations

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Certainly it was irritating and showed Kramer's bias. However, if everyone else were doing it, we were impossibly clumsy at it. Ivan Maisel put it well. He said something to the effect that it wasn't that Bama wasn't doing what other schools were doing, but that we were so "ham-handed at it."[/QUOTE]

That, plus you have to wonder if pure old garden variety arrogance in various quarters didn`t play a role as well.
That's always been my opinion, that rhe NCAA mainly targeted Alabama as a way to tell the rest of the universities, "If you get this stupid we will hammer you too. "

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
Exactly. This is what made the probation under Mike DuBose so enraging. Several other schools, including Tennessee, were bidding on Albert Means. Their coaches were told - by the sec office - to back off. Our coaches were not told this. And the rest is history. And the biggest snitch of that whole affair was Phil Fulmer.
Some will call this a major conspiracy theory, but I think it can be pretty well accepted that there was money paid to Albert Means HS coach, or to both Means and his coach to sign with Alabama. The coach (Lynn Lange) plead guilty to some criminal charges related to the case.
What I have never been convinced of is the source of that money. Given what was happening around that case, there were a lot of strange things going on. Logan Young was accused of being the booster that paid money to steer Means to Alabama. Young claimed innocence in the lawsuits that were related to that. I don't remember all the details, but leading up to that trial, there was a break-in of one of the lawyers office, one lawyer was beaten, and some documents related to the case were stolen.
Young was convicted in a trial, but appealed and died before the appeal was heard. His death is still one of the strangest I've ever heard about. I remember listening to Finebaum the afternoon it was discovered that he died, and they were playing audio from the Memphis police saying the scene was one of the most gruesome homicide scenes they had ever investigated. Apparently his housekeeper found his body, and when she placed the 911 call she was unsure of the identity of the dead body because it was so bloody or beaten. I remember hearing her saying something like "It may be my boss, but I'm not sure" because she couldn't recognize him. The reporting from the initial day of this left almost no doubt that he had been brutally murdered. Then a couple days later, the official statement is released that he was alone in the house and slipped on the stairs while carrying a bowl of salad, hit his head on an iron railing, and then proceeded to profusely bleed in many rooms throughout his house, eventually laying on the bed and allowing himself to bleed to death. Maybe I'm too skeptical, but I just don't buy the falling down the stairs explanation.
I've always wondered if there was a money trail that was going to come out in the appeal that showed the money provided to get Means steered to Alabama was provided by someone else. As in, maybe a booster for another school provided the money knowing that they could pin the blame on Young and thus get Alabama hammered by the NCAA.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama waiting on final report from NCAA in Bo Davis case

The potential NCAA rule violations committed by former Alabama defensive line coach Bo Davis remain unresolved, athletics director Bill Battle said Wednesday.

Speaking outside the SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Battle said they are still waiting for the NCAA report on the issue that led to Davis' resignation April 29.

"I know that Bo spoke to the NCAA after we did and he resigned. We had determined that there were violations and felt like it was in our best interest to separate. I know that Bo spoke to the NCAA in hopes he could reduce any penalty that might come to him. We haven't heard what might come to us. We're still waiting for those answers."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.