Alabama Assistant Bo Davis leaving over inquiry into possible recruiting violations

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That`s just terrific. I agree that we need to wait and see what this is about, I can`t help but be a tad paranoid that this would be the catalyst for a suddenly new, wrathful NCAA that suddenly emerges with a new found vengeance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just hope this isn't as bad as USC.... A we could have players ineligible and B, I don't see Saban staying through crippling sanctions... Could cost us this season AND the next decade.
You jumped the gun before it was even bought.

Looking at who he had a hand in this past recruiting cycle, he was credited with closing the deal with Hulk and some of the MS kids. Wonder if the fact Hulk wasn't expected to qualify and tweeted he was good to go recently is part of it.....

Just hope it wasn't kids who played... If it is recent recruits like the MS kids, Davis, Hurts, Knott etc., at least it wouldn't effect prior teams. And the fact he is out hopefully helps. (Assuming he hasn't been buying kids the past 4 years and NCAA knew...)
Hulk wasn't a question. Raekwon Davis, OTOH, was.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We've had scares before, involving active players. This is only really a problem if it involved an player who already played for Alabama.

The thing that scares me most though is how cooperative Alabama is. Sometimes it is far better to just lawyer up. Let's hope this isn't one of those times though. If this is something that doesn't involve ineligible players playing, this should just be a minor bump in the road.

This is also one reason I'm so irritated by some of the things that went on with Auburn and Ole Miss. If people see them getting away with it, it both creates the impression that everyone can get away with it, and that it's necessary. So we'll see how this goes but I hope this goes away soon.

At least it doesn't seem to be textbooks right? I think Alabama is in the repeat textbook offenders window, and it would relegate them to the FCS for that unforgivable crime. So let's just be glad it wasn't that and it's something less serious.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well guys, depending on what`s at hand here mind you, this may be one of those things that makes finger pointing at other schools and the associated righteous indignation that accompanies it ring rather hollow. Even so, wonder how long it`ll take the Ole Miss and barn folks to come out of the woodwork to chortle?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well guys, depending on what`s at hand here mind you, this may be one of those things that makes finger pointing at other schools and the associated righteous indignation that accompanies it ring rather hollow. Even so, wonder how long it`ll take the Ole Miss and barn folks to come out of the woodwork to chortle?
Hollow? Alabama got hit harder over textbooks than Auburn did over paying Cam. Nothing will ever change that fact.

Beyond that, Ole Miss bought and paid for top guys in a class in such an obvious manner that everyone knew it was going on. And yes, the NCAA is sniffing around that. Now, you tell me, does Alabama or Nick Saban need to break the rules to get a guy? No, if Bo Davis broke any rules he didn't do it was because he had to but because it made things easier for him... but he might very well have been competing with someone else who was breaking the rules. That is EXACTLY why the NCAA needed to do their stupid job in the first place.

I said this going back to the Auburn situation, it's bad for the entire SEC because it had an influence on things. If you get a couple schools paying players in an obvious manner, you think the rule breaking will exist in a dome? Only those two are going to do it? The NCAA is erratic and unreliable. Alabama fans have every right to finger point at this point in time, they got butchered by the NCAA while others didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Hollow? Alabama got hit harder over textbooks than Auburn did over paying Cam. Nothing will ever change that fact.

Beyond that, Ole Miss bought and paid for top guys in a class in such an obvious manner that everyone knew it was going on. And yes, the NCAA is sniffing around that. Now, you tell me, does Alabama or Nick Saban need to break the rules to get a guy? No, if Bo Davis broke any rules he didn't do it was because he had to but because it made things easier for him... but he might very well have been competing with someone else who was breaking the rules. That is EXACTLY why the NCAA needed to do their stupid job in the first place.

I said this going back to the Auburn situation, it's bad for the entire SEC because it had an influence on things. The NCAA is erratic and unreliable. Alabama fans have every right to finger point at this point in time, they got butchered by the NCAA others didn't even get a slap on the wrist.
How did I know that`d get a rise out of you Krazy ? :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The thing that scares me most though is how cooperative Alabama is. Sometimes it is far better to just lawyer up.
I agree, but if you take Auburn's approach and someone turns on you, you get slammed like we did when the "booster" sent those emails from Tressel to the media and NCAA.

There are risks to either approach - cooperating and obfuscating.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Doesn't sound like he did. They don't fire people over an extra text or getting them extra noodles for their spaghetti
You are correct in firing a coach only comes for significant violations, but let's wait to see what the violation actually is. Very well could be something Bo did on his own.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Well, I didn't do anything and can't control the actions of others - so I'm going to let Coach deal with this one. His track record is pretty darn good and once again we seem to be taking the initiative on this and being proactive. I hate it for Coach Davis but his problem(s) would appear to be of the self inflicted variety. I see the chicken little's of the fanbase are out in force and are already standing on the ledge. One bit of advice, wait for more definitive info before jumping.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Has Davis had any other allegations levied against him other than these? I don't recall any but didn't really follow him when he was at Texas or anywhere else other than Bama..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.