Alabama Assistant Bo Davis leaving over inquiry into possible recruiting violations

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
How did I know that`d get a rise out of you Krazy ? :)
Well, I see these things as being connected. It literally is the fault of Auburn, Ole Miss, and the NCAA (if this is what it appears to be).

Alabama's resurgence wasn't taken well by Auburn, so they fire their coach, bring in someone with ties to the University and make one particularly high profile purchase, Cam Newton. This isn't even speculation, his dad was shopping him, a known fact, and Cam said he chose Auburn because of his dad. So, the only thing missing from the now oddly high NCAA standard of proof was the bag man, so they got away with it. One of the things I said back then though was that their getting away with it was bad for the entire SEC. It sent the wrong message, that you can do that and get away with it.

In the wake of this and the new kinder, gentler NCAA, Ole Miss suddenly starts recruiting really well. Guys with no interest in Ole Miss, uncommitted guys, people getting on board late, all the signs of guys being bought. Sure enough just like Auburn the NCAA comes sniffing around. But as of yet, nothing and Ole Miss was up to the same tricks in the last recruiting cycle. They were getting guys they shouldn't, same old same old.

So, when Bo Davis' name comes up, where do people look first? They look to the state of Mississippi. Is that supposed to be a coincidence? That the smart money would be on something going on in the state of Mississippi?

The NCAA does their job with Auburn, and I seriously doubt we're having this conversation right now. So, in light of that can I view what I have said all along as ringing hollow? Nope, because this situation was not the creation of Alabama and some of us at least were indignant over the inevitable consequences of this sort of thing. If the NCAA was supposed to do anything, it was to stop players from being bought. They didn't do that at Auburn, they didn't do that at Ole Miss, and it put Alabama and Alabama's recruiters in a bad spot. What ever this turns out to be, it couldn't have helped one bit to be in the backyard of a team that gets their recruits via dubious means.

I agree, but if you take Auburn's approach and someone turns on you, you get slammed like we did when the "booster" sent those emails from Tressel to the media and NCAA.

There are risks to either approach - cooperating and obfuscating.
Well the problem a lot of us have really goes back to the textbooks. Alabama was forthcoming, they cooperated fully, it was a pretty trivial matter. However, the NCAA was still fairly heavy handed. Contrasting that with Miami's refusal to cooperate, and Auburn's refusal to cooperate, and it showed you can get away with pretty much anything now as long as you don't admit guilt. So, if this is minor and didn't involve any active players, yeah I think cooperating will make it go away with no meaningful impact. But, if it was more serious Alabama darn well better know when to clam up.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
From Jamey Barnes on twitter

"No NCAA trouble heading bamas way. Saban was out in front of this and Bo had to go. Exhale, everything is fine."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You have to figure this isn't new to CNS or the Alabama administration. They cherry picked NFL draft night to announce the news in order to minimize publicity..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I have no idea, but if I HAD to guess, I'd say Bo did something that violated NCAA rules and Coach Saban found out about it. So he immediately informed school administrators, who immediately reported it to the NCAA, and then Coach Saban immediately fired Bo Davis.
With the program at the level it is, any possible violation would be squashed by Coach Saban in a heartbeat.
We shall see, but that would be my opinion.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Bo Davis did a great job with the D-Line and was hellacious on the recruiting trail too. If he's gone, he's gone. I'll wait until I hear what he did before tearing my hair out about the long term consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have no idea, but if I HAD to guess, I'd say Bo did something that violated NCAA rules and Coach Saban found out about it. So he immediately informed school administrators, who immediately reported it to the NCAA, and then Coach Saban immediately fired Bo Davis.
With the program at the level it is, any possible violation would be squashed by Coach Saban in a heartbeat.
We shall see, but that would be my opinion.
Well I'm willing to take any indication that there won't be an issue with the NCAA at face value.

Having said that, the tidbits thus far indicated the NCAA was already looking into it and that it was a recruiting violation. So, with Bo recruiting heavily in Mississippi and fishy things going on there (along with an NCAA investigation), it is easy to imagine the NCAA bumping into something, or Bo feeling pressured to do more to recruit the area.

In either case, this isn't the first or even second time a coach has been fired over NCAA rules violations. One time Alabama fired a guy who coached at Miami right and had some involved with stuff over there I believe. Another time someone loaned a player money and he was fired. That, like the fishing trip, what ever had Bo suspended last year, etc... seemed to pass without any undo pain. So, have to trust Saban on this one but the sooner the cesspool in Mississippi is cleaned up the better in my opinion.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well I'm willing to take any indication that there won't be an issue with the NCAA at face value.

Having said that, the tidbits thus far indicated the NCAA was already looking into it and that it was a recruiting violation. So, with Bo recruiting heavily in Mississippi and fishy things going on there (along with an NCAA investigation), it is easy to imagine the NCAA bumping into something, or Bo feeling pressured to do more to recruit the area.

In either case, this isn't the first or even second time a coach has been fired over NCAA rules violations. One time Alabama fired a guy who coached at Miami right and had some involved with stuff over there I believe. Another time someone loaned a player money and he was fired. That, like the fishing trip, what ever had Bo suspended last year, etc... seemed to pass without any undo pain. So, have to trust Saban on this one but the sooner the cesspool in Mississippi is cleaned up the better in my opinion.
agreed

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.